The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2022, 10:25 PM   #1
BradS

Springfield Hellcat vs Kimber Mako

I was looking at both the Hellcat and the R7 Mako. From searching the web, the general consensus is that both striker fired pistols are CCW worthy.
The Hellcat is reported to have a less than desirable trigger, that can be improved with an APEX aftermarket trigger . The Mako is reported to have an excellent trigger.
Thoughts, experience, and opinions on both pistols would be appreciated.
Brad
Old August 8, 2022, 04:40 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

The Hellcat trigger isn’t that bad, but I did put the Mcarbo spring kit in mine and like it better. I see they also offer a replacement trigger and an improved striker assembly that eliminates some creep, not sure I want to invest more money in the gun so I’m just keeping it the way it is for now. I just added a rubber grip sleeve to mine and feel it’s the best improvement for me, the texture of the grip was rubbing me a bit too much and the added thickness of the rubber helps a lot with my bigger hands.
Old August 8, 2022, 08:34 AM   #3
wbw

Between those two, I'd take the Mako all day long. I had a Hellcat and didn't care for it. Slide serrations weren't deep enough and recoil spring was very stiff. I didn't keep it long. I've played with the Mako a few times in the gun store and liked it. I currently have a S&W Shield Plus that I'm liking, but if I had to find something else, it would be the Mako.
Old August 8, 2022, 11:36 AM   #4
DubC-Hicks

I own the Hellcat and really like it. The trigger is a non-issue, more than good enough to make any shots practical in a self defense situation. Like said above, the serrations are fairly shallow and the recoil spring is stiff, but it's still easily workable.

I actually purchased a 43X, P365XL, and the Hellcat all around the same time so I could put a decent number of rounds through each and decide. Ended up keeping the Hellcat due to size/capacity ratio and IMO the grip texture was best which helps control such a small gun.