The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 18, 2022, 09:06 PM   #1
kymasabe

Light for S&W SD9

I've been looking for a light for my home defense gun, my SD9. There are too many to choose from, so thought I'd ask the collective for advise. So, saw a light on an acquaintances handgun, had a small lever at the back of it that rotated to turn on. I liked that set up, don't know the brand. I want something with decent battery life, decent brightness, but I dont need latest greatest superbright, and hopefully under $200 if possible.
Suggestions?
Old June 18, 2022, 11:26 PM   #2
BourbonCowboy

I have an Olight BALDR Mini on all my handguns.

But if you just want a light, look at the Olight Valkyrie PL-Mini 2
Old June 19, 2022, 07:36 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Sounds like a Streamlight to me. Look at the TLR-1HL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 19, 2022, 07:40 AM   #4
kymasabe

I kinda like Streamlight TLR-3, but 125 lumens sounds weak. But I do like that style switch and smaller cleaner mount.
Old June 19, 2022, 07:44 AM   #5
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Sounds like a Streamlight to me. Look at the TLR-1HL.

Just saw this response.
Yup, that'll check all the boxes.
In fact, that might be the same light I saw briefly and thought "nice light, I gotta get one of those".
Old June 19, 2022, 08:26 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Yeah that’s what I meant when I said, “sounds like.”

Old June 19, 2022, 04:30 PM   #7
Polinese

I like the TLR 7a which I like better for a handgun. Little more compact and a much better switch than the TLR-1
Old June 19, 2022, 06:26 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polinese View Post
I like the TLR 7a which I like better for a handgun. Little more compact and a much better switch than the TLR-1

I have the 7A as well. If it’s a pistol that I want to carry concealed with a light then I like the 7A. If carrying with the light isn’t a concern I like the TLR-1. Streamlight also makes a larger version on the 7A as well, the TLR-9. I don’t think any of these lights is bad, it’s really want you want personally, and there are a lot of options (and that’s even just with Streamlight).

Old June 22, 2022, 03:43 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

Streamlight TLR-1. It comes in 1,000 lumen or 300 lumen. Durable & reliable. Got 3 of 'em myself.
Old June 24, 2022, 09:17 AM   #10
jmhyer

I had a TLR-3, which I really liked... until it broke because the plastic/polycarbonate construction just wasn't durable. I have since avoided lights that don't have a metal housing and attachment clamps/screws.

I have a Crimson Trace CMR-208 that I really like.

Or maybe look at the Streamlight TLR-7A. The rear switch housing is plastic, but the main housing and clamp is aluminum.

Last edited by jmhyer; June 24, 2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old June 24, 2022, 09:47 AM   #11
Polinese

And the 7a comes with two switches so you'll have a backup haha
Old June 24, 2022, 11:20 AM   #12
L-2

Some personal notes on Streamlight and Surefire, which are the only two brands I used and have experience using.

The Surefire X300 series (I've got an old X300, before the "U" models came out; and an X300U). The X300U stopped working and Surefire provided a replacement after evaluating the broken one. I've also had a switch stop working on the X300. Surefire provided a replacement switch under warranty, without having me send back the original switch.

I've got a Streamlight TLR-1 and a couple of TLR-1HL lights. The TLR-1 switch also broke, but Streamlight doesn't have a lifetime warranty as Surefire does. This was ok and understood. A replacement switch was quickly available online should one ever be needed.

Here's an Amazon link should anybody need a TLR-1 switch fairly fast:
shorturl.at/hmuwV

I could actually get a Streamlight TLR-1 switch faster than Surefire can ship a replacement X300 switch under warranty (which might take 3 weeks as I had to email back due to the customer service rep forgetting to send me the replacement after the 1st email).

I found having a spare, when working with a weapon-mounted-light (WML) daily for work, ideal for me. Otherwise, it's inconvenient to switch holsters out on a duty belt, from a WML holster to a non-WML holster, although that's another option. Not everybody will use a WML for daily work and not everyone will experience breakages.
Old June 24, 2022, 02:17 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
Some personal notes on Streamlight and Surefire, which are the only two brands I used and have experience using.

The Surefire X300 series (I've got an old X300, before the "U" models came out; and an X300U). The X300U stopped working and Surefire provided a replacement after evaluating the broken one. I've also had a switch stop working on the X300. Surefire provided a replacement switch under warranty, without having me send back the original switch.

I've got a Streamlight TLR-1 and a couple of TLR-1HL lights. The TLR-1 switch also broke, but Streamlight doesn't have a lifetime warranty as Surefire does. This was ok and understood. A replacement switch was quickly available online should one ever be needed.

Here's an Amazon link should anybody need a TLR-1 switch fairly fast:
shorturl.at/hmuwV

I could actually get a Streamlight TLR-1 switch faster than Surefire can ship a replacement X300 switch under warranty (which might take 3 weeks as I had to email back due to the customer service rep forgetting to send me the replacement after the 1st email).

I found having a spare, when working with a weapon-mounted-light (WML) daily for work, ideal for me. Otherwise, it's inconvenient to switch holsters out on a duty belt, from a WML holster to a non-WML holster, although that's another option. Not everybody will use a WML for daily work and not everyone will experience breakages.

FWIW you can do a parts request from Streamlight directly on their customer service webpage. I’ve never had them refuse and they have never charged me.

Old July 31, 2022, 02:27 PM   #14
kymasabe

Well, ended up with a Streamlight TLR7.
Yes, the buttons aren't quite as nice as paddle buttons, but price was right at $109 and fit the SD9 perfectly.
Thank you all for the recommendations.
Old August 3, 2022, 01:09 AM   #15
rc

Streamlights are good. I like the toggle switch. I don't like the cheaper ones with the slide switches.