The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 10, 2022, 02:15 PM   #51
Webleymkv

I once pointed out to another poster here that, at the time, ".45 Long Colt" was the name listed for the cartridge on Colt's website and that I'd think Colt would know what to call their own cartridge. I was then informed that the Colt of today is but a shell of the Colt of the past and had bowed to the lazy and uninformed and thus not an authority on the name of the cartridge. I think I replied with something along the lines of "Loooooong Colt" and I've made a point to always call it ".45 Long Colt" since. Nobody has tried to correct me for a while so I guess they've found something else to have heartburn over
Old July 10, 2022, 03:52 PM   #52
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Some thread drift is inevitable, but this discussion has largely gone off the rails. The question under discussion is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbear1950
what does everyone think of 45 colt as a defensive round?
Jeepaholic
Old July 10, 2022, 05:08 PM   #53
SIGSHR

Excellent. Only drawback the scarcity of DA revolvers chambered for it.
Old July 11, 2022, 06:44 AM   #54
Savvy_Jack

There never was a 45 Long Colt and just because someone worked at Colt that was just as ignorant, doesn't mean there was or is one now.
Old July 11, 2022, 07:08 AM   #55
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
There never was a 45 Long Colt and just because someone worked at Colt that was just as ignorant, doesn't mean there was or is one now.
See post number 52.
Jeepaholic
Old July 11, 2022, 03:43 PM   #56
zeke

Prefer the 45 LC with adjustable sights. In my experience, there is a substantial difference between poi with weights that vary from 200gn to 250 or 300 grains. Adjustable sights allows you to shoot loads with varying purposes or degrees of umph.

Would certainly be able to use a sa for defensive purposes, and as some have said it is what you're used to/frequently practice with.

CC carrying a sa is another story, at least for me.
Old July 11, 2022, 08:53 PM   #57
ammo.crafter

Colt 45

If you are a reloader, you should be able to get the most out of this round.
Be safe~
Old July 12, 2022, 07:57 AM   #58
Mike Irwin
Staff

"For EDC, a S&W M25-5 with a 4” tube would be the ideal platform but for the gun’s scarcity."

I searched for my 4" 25-5 for over 10 years before I finally found it.

Paid a LOT for it, too.

"There never was a 45 Long Colt and just because someone worked at Colt that was just as ignorant, doesn't mean there was or is one now."

There was never a 9mm Luger, either.

Until there was.

Fortunately, people actually understand exactly what cartridge people are talking about...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 12, 2022, 12:09 PM   #59
Hawg

I don't shoot a lot of .45 Colt but I've never seen a 45LC head stamp. I get it tho, it's like the magazine vs clip thing. I'm cool with that.
Old July 12, 2022, 02:22 PM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I get it tho, it's like the magazine vs clip thing. I'm cool with that.
Not quite the same thing. Magazines and clips can be different things. Or they can be two terms people apply to the same thing. .45 Long Colt vs. .45 Colt is always two different names applied to the same thing.
Old July 12, 2022, 09:04 PM   #61
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Not quite the same thing. Magazines and clips can be different things. Or they can be two terms people apply to the same thing. .45 Long Colt vs. .45 Colt is always two different names applied to the same thing.
Calling a magazine a clip is two names for the same thing plus people have been calling them clips forever. Admit it, when somebody calls a mag a clip you know exactly what they're talking about. When somebody calls a .45 Colt a .45 Long Colt it's the same thing.
Old July 12, 2022, 09:53 PM   #62
imp

Quote:
.45 Long Colt vs. .45 Colt is always two different names applied to the same thing.
Which is why pedantic debates over useage is counter productive.

Back to the real topic. .45 colt is a lousy self defense caliber. Yes, I said it.

It might destroy more tissue than other rounds, but its size and weight do not allow for firearms that are easily concealed or carry decent quantities of ammunition.

I would much prefer 10 rounds of 9mm to 6 of .45, especially when the 9mm options are cheaper, lighter weight, flatter, easier to reload, etc...
Old July 12, 2022, 10:58 PM   #63
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
but its size and weight do not allow for firearms that are easily concealed or carry decent quantities of ammunition.
And those are your criteria, so for you, its a lousy choice. For those of us with different criteria and priorities, its a fine round, and not lousy at all.

The OP wasn't asking about what was the best, practical round, or gun for defense, he HAS a .45 Colt Single action was asking what we thought of the round for defense.

being "easily concealable" and "carrying a decent quantity of ammunition" were not asked about.

To me, whether or not a round is good at its job is about what the round does when it hits its target. Not about the advantages or drawbacks of the gun its fired from. Those pros&cons are valid questions, but they are a different question.

The .45 Colt (or that rose by any other name) has been stopping two and 4 legged beasts since 1873 reliably enough that it is still made and used today.

Might not be your optimal choice, but that changes nothing about what the cartridge does, can do, and has been doing for 149 years and still going...
Old July 13, 2022, 10:31 AM   #64
TunnelRat

45 colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
The OP wasn't asking about what was the best, practical round, or gun for defense, he HAS a .45 Colt Single action was asking what we thought of the round for defense.

The critical point in this is “what WE thought”, meaning the members on this forum as a whole. The person to which you responded gave what he/she thought and why.

From my perspective this thread, naming convention debate aside, has often been you responding to people that didn’t have a positive impression of the 45 colt and explaining why they are wrong. I understand that you’re a fan of the cartridge, as you stated, and I don’t think counter points are uncalled for, but in the end people are giving their opinions as you have. It’s for the OP, who has only come back once, to evaluate the merit of the opinions for which he/she asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 13, 2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old July 13, 2022, 11:37 AM   #65
Hawg

I think .45 Colt is an excellent defensive round.
Old July 13, 2022, 05:10 PM   #66
Hawg

I don't think it's a High Plains Drifter fantasy. He says he has a .45 Colt he carries. He probably wants to use what he's got without spending more on another gun.
Old July 13, 2022, 06:18 PM   #67
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
I don't think it's a High Plains Drifter fantasy. He says he has a .45 Colt he carries. He probably wants to use what he's got without spending more on another gun.
That's the way I read it. The OP didn't ask about a gun -- he told us what he has. He asked about the cartridge,
Jeepaholic
Old July 22, 2022, 09:15 PM   #68
Blue1

I have a Redhawk in .45 Colt and I've heard they are stronger than the Blackhawks.

In any case, I have two loads over 700# energy, no issue extracting and no high pressure indications.

.45 Colt is a great defensive round if you can conceal and don't have a capacity issue with six rounds.
Old July 23, 2022, 09:43 AM   #69
Brutus

My current 45 Colt is a pre-lock Smith mountain gun which I really like but as soon as Colt brings out a new Anaconda I'm in hook line and sinker.