The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 24, 2022, 02:52 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Colt Python - New Production Model

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Colt Python- New Production version, and cannot make up my mind between the 3" or 4.25" barrel model. Can anyone please share suggestions and why you prefer one over the other?

All feedback will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by YankeeIronSights; June 24, 2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old June 24, 2022, 02:56 PM   #2
YankeeIronSights

Colt Python - New Production Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeIronSights View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Colt Python- New Production version, and cannot make up my mind between the 3" or 4.25" barrel model. Can anyone please share suggestions and why you prefer one over the other?

All feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited by YankeeIronSights; June 24, 2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old June 24, 2022, 04:02 PM   #3
GeauxTide

The muzzle blast and fireball of the 3" will be extreme.
Old June 24, 2022, 07:33 PM   #4
reddog81

Short barrels are great for carry guns. I’m never going to carry my Python so I went with the 6”. Longer sight radius and more velocity from longer barrel was my justification. I do however want a 3” barrel one to go along 6” barrel…
Old June 24, 2022, 09:34 PM   #5
YankeeIronSights

Update: I bought both. Then, I stopped by the range and tested each with 25 rounds of Federal .38 Special lead nose.

Believe it or not, I shot the 3" model better than the 4.25" model.

I first shot each revolver at 25 feet, five rounds at a time. Out of the box, both models were super accurate. See the photos.

Then I shot both guns at 50 feet. Surprisingly, I was able to shoot 2" groups with the 3" barrel model! The 4.25" model was also good at 50 feet, with similar results.

I must say that I love the 3"model. It is well balanced. The trigger in double action and single action was a dream. I highly recommend this particular model.

The 4.25" model is a bit front heavy and requires more control.

With a few hours of practice, anyone can become highly proficient with these revolvers.

I am very happy with this investment.

Old June 26, 2022, 06:59 PM   #6
Mr.RevolverGuy

3in All The Way And Don't Look Back

A close friend of mine in a conversation said to me, the 3inch revolver is the absolute best fighting revolver ever made no matter the brand. I told him let’s get our hands on as many 3in revolvers as we possibly can to test his theory. 3in revolvers do seem to be some of the most sought after in the collectors world and in my hands no matter the manufacturer they are the most well balanced.

We were able to coral SA/DA revolver from most every manufacturer that exist today. I am very well aware there are others like Korth, Chiappa and a few others. I did reach out to them to see if they wanted a chance to dance with the Devil they politely declined or I did not get a response. I didn’t really expect anything different for a random stranger like myself to them but thought I would try. As I was personally very interested in understanding why the 3in revolver is so sought after.

In this picture:

S&W Model 65 — Heavily Modified Cut from 4in to 3in recrowned, trigger job, front night sight. Ultimate Trigger — Throne Arms Gunsmith
Kimber K6s — 3dot sights, Smallest/lightest 6 shot steel revolver made to date. Ultimate Carry
S&W Model 19 — K Frame — Carry Comp, Night Sight, Ported. Mr. Universal
Ruger GP100 — Traditional grips great feel, stout Ultimate Durability
Colt Python 2022 — Traditional sights, red ramp front, stout, butt of the grips rather large even for my big meat hooks. Mr. Hollywood
Guest Appearance Not In Picture — S&W 686 L Frame — Tradition sights, red ramp front, Boot Grips, Ultimate Duty
THE CHALLENGE 6-6-6
With every visit to the range yes I am having a lot of fun, often I end the range session deliberately with a little training.

6 Shots
6 Yards from target
6 Seconds par time — Timer set on random start time
All to be fired double action. Starting with the muzzle pointed at the ground waist high or resting on a table waist high.

https://youtu.be/DCTz9SZi7CI
Old June 27, 2022, 06:30 AM   #7
Adventurer 2

Things I shouldn’t watch - videos about 357 magnum revolvers - now I want a 3 inch 357 - thanks.
Old June 27, 2022, 10:09 AM   #8
wild cat mccane

I have always thought the 3" are for the internet and 4" are for general buyers

Going lower on barrel without shorting the grip...I haven't felt they feel different, but I also haven't felt a positive difference in shooting myself.

Glad you like it!
Old June 29, 2022, 05:11 PM   #9
YankeeIronSights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RevolverGuy View Post
A close friend of mine in a conversation said to me, the 3inch revolver is the absolute best fighting revolver ever made no matter the brand. I told him let’s get our hands on as many 3in revolvers as we possibly can to test his theory. 3in revolvers do seem to be some of the most sought after in the collectors world and in my hands no matter the manufacturer they are the most well balanced.

We were able to coral SA/DA revolver from most every manufacturer that exist today. I am very well aware there are others like Korth, Chiappa and a few others. I did reach out to them to see if they wanted a chance to dance with the Devil they politely declined or I did not get a response. I didn’t really expect anything different for a random stranger like myself to them but thought I would try. As I was personally very interested in understanding why the 3in revolver is so sought after.

In this picture:

S&W Model 65 — Heavily Modified Cut from 4in to 3in recrowned, trigger job, front night sight. Ultimate Trigger — Throne Arms Gunsmith
Kimber K6s — 3dot sights, Smallest/lightest 6 shot steel revolver made to date. Ultimate Carry
S&W Model 19 — K Frame — Carry Comp, Night Sight, Ported. Mr. Universal
Ruger GP100 — Traditional grips great feel, stout Ultimate Durability
Colt Python 2022 — Traditional sights, red ramp front, stout, butt of the grips rather large even for my big meat hooks. Mr. Hollywood
Guest Appearance Not In Picture — S&W 686 L Frame — Tradition sights, red ramp front, Boot Grips, Ultimate Duty
THE CHALLENGE 6-6-6
With every visit to the range yes I am having a lot of fun, often I end the range session deliberately with a little training.

6 Shots
6 Yards from target
6 Seconds par time — Timer set on random start time
All to be fired double action. Starting with the muzzle pointed at the ground waist high or resting on a table waist high.

https://youtu.be/DCTz9SZi7CI

I agree. I tend to shoot better any pistol with 3" barrel than any other barrel size. That is true with both revolvers and semi-automatic models.

Old June 30, 2022, 12:21 PM   #10
arquebus357

To my old eyes, a 3" barrel revolver is perfectly proportioned. I know the Python is supposed to the most beautiful revolver ever but I disagree and mostly because of the full underlug. At least the 3" barrel version does not suffer from this perversion. Actually, I like 3" berrel revolvers so much that I made this puppy out of a police trade-in 4" S&W model 64.

Old July 3, 2022, 05:24 PM   #11
YankeeIronSights

Very nice!

Old July 17, 2022, 09:09 AM   #12
Mr.RevolverGuy

Nice Arquebus357