The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 20, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1
5RWill

Need help picking out a .204 varminter.

Anyone know of any? Right now the two best looking ones to me are tikka and howa. Remington's model is discontinued, well the one i want. Was looking into a ruger M77 and i read that they're synthetic stocks are crappy. Brand's i like are tikka,howa, weatherby, and remington for this type of rifle. I'm willing to pay as much as 800$.
Old August 21, 2008, 12:17 AM   #2
CPTMurdoc30

If you stick to the upper end of Remington's lines (VLS, VSSF, ect...) they are all good The XR-100 came in 204 Ruger Look on line at Gunsamerica or gun broker for the XR-100 The draw back to this is it is a single shot action. But the up side is that it is a much stiffer action.

Are you looking for a lightweight walking varminter. If so you might find a rem 700 used cheaper then get you a Bell and Carlson stock for $250 or $400 and your in business.

Howa/ Weatherby are a good action as well. If you are wanting a Ruger get the M77 MkII VT with the laminate stock. My dads 204 M77 will shoot the 40gr factory loads in to .375" groups at 100 yards. Just about any of the good quality factory varmint rifles are going to give you some amazing accuracy for the price. My Rem 700 VLS in 223 shoot 1/2" or better with just about anything I throw in her.

Also Look into the Savage.

Not sure why Remington came out with the XR-100 then dropped it. They didn't give it time to catch on. It takes a year or two to get going. I wanted one and was about to buy one now they are all gone. The XR-100 is on the XP-100 action which was the Remington Model 600 action to begin with. One of their best actions ever. Same thing goes for the XP-100 pistol they are great for long range pistol hunting you can get them in 221 FB, 22-250, 260, and 35 Rem. A buddy of mine has one of each and they are all sweet looking and sweet shooting pistols.

Any of the low end rifles now are going to come with a so so stock. The Remington 700 SPS line stock are as hollow as Britney Spears head and sound about like that when you shoot them. That can be fixed with a can of spray foam or some bondo. Remington, Savage, Tikka, Ruger all of the low end stock are just that low end.
Old August 21, 2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Yithian

CZ

I own one, and the single set trigger is incredible.
That and the fact that the sporter has no plastics anywhere, except for the rubber buttpad.
The Varminter comes with a bull barrel and kevlar stock.
Old August 21, 2008, 12:27 AM   #4
5RWill

Thanks for the reply, by single shot on the rangemaster you mean it has no magazine? If so i was very unaware of that, even though that might sound clumsy. I'm not a huge fan of the laminate stock it's just too bright so to speak. I'm looking at a howa 1500 varminter for around 400. I would love to have my eyes set on a remington but i've heard complaints about the sps's. If not i would get one. Then tikka is another good one but i don't think i'll be able to get it in .204 in the U.S. The VL SS thumbhole would be awesome if it had a different stock. I found a H-S Thumbhole stock but cabelas said only fits H-S pro 2000 series and remington model 700 BDLs. I kinda thought that was weird since all model 700s are pretty much the same thing just different barrels and stocks.
Old August 21, 2008, 06:29 AM   #5
TheShootist1894

CZ 527 Varminter, any of the three choices, drop mag, set trigger, great action, ACCURATE. .. . Will come in below $800 enough to put some fine glass on top
Old August 21, 2008, 02:27 PM   #6
5RWill

The varminter kevlar has my eye, never held or shot a CZ but only heard good things about em. I love the stock on the varminter kevlar, might have to try it out.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:31 PM   #7
5RWill

Found it for 805, it looks to be a keeper to me, i absolutely love the stock.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:39 PM   #8
ziggy222

savage makes one in their 12bvss model