The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Osuvet85

Reloading .38/.357 for a lever action?

I've been thinking about getting into reloading and the Lee hand loading kit seems like a cheap way to begin. Saw a kit on Amazon but there was a warning not for use in ammo for levers or semi-autos. Any ideas why? I can't figure out why it would be any different than factory ( provided I do it right). Thanks.
Old October 6, 2014, 05:50 PM   #2
gunrunner1

The Lee kit might not full length resize the cases.
Old October 6, 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
hodaka

The Lee kit, the one that you hammer, neck sizes. I started with one and a .38. It worked, but not that well. You would do better to spend a little more for a Challenger press and full length size your brass, especially for the rifle.
Old October 6, 2014, 07:40 PM   #4
A pause for the COZ

Are you looking at a real old one?
I have one and was what I started reloading with. It full length sizes 38 special and 357 magnum.

Have to lube though.

Pound them in.

Makes good ammo. They shoot just fine from my Lever action.

Old October 6, 2014, 08:19 PM   #5
rg1

I would still recommend going with an inexpensive press and dies. Plus I would rather use a scale to weigh powder charges.
Old October 6, 2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Snyper

If you want to load reliable ammo, spend the money for a real press.
You will be glad in the long run
Old October 6, 2014, 09:47 PM   #7
A pause for the COZ

Like the other guys said. If you plan on doing any real reloading. A press set up would be preferred.

That being said, Nothing wrong with starting with a hand loader.
Every thing I needed to load 38/357 mag fit in a small box.
Got me loading on the cheap when I was unsure if I wanted to do it.
Plus it forces you to really under stand each procedure involved in reloading a cartridge.

Now of course I have a hard time fitting all my reloading stuff in side a whole 12x24 room in basement.
I still have about 7 hand loaders in various calibers. I find them invaluable taking to the range to work up some loads on site instead of making up a whole bunch of crappy ones.

Some times my presses are full of ongoing projects and I need to fill a box of 38's for a range trip. Out comes the hand loader.

Quality of reloads... I have never noticed any difference in quality. Actually I have found the opposite. Because you are intimately involved with each step.
Your reloads are of better quality. I can consistently get a projectile seated straighter with my hand loader than my normal seating dies are capable of.

I never see a down side having some thing available to reload with. Fits in a go bag.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; October 6, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old October 6, 2014, 10:37 PM   #8
849ACSO

Check out the breechlock hand press. Uses regular dies, so if you decide later to buy a "real" press you already have the dies. Think the hand press can be had for $40 or so and fits in a small shoe box. I have a turret but still load 45/70 on the hand press. I loaded 38, 357, 223, 308, 45 and 45/70 on mine until I got the turret.
Old October 6, 2014, 10:55 PM   #9
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
Check out the breechlock hand press. Uses regular dies, so if you decide later to buy a "real" press you already have the dies. Think the hand press can be had for $40 or so and fits in a small shoe box. I have a turret but still load 45/70 on the hand press. I loaded 38, 357, 223, 308, 45 and 45/70 on mine until I got the turret.
I see no down side to this at all. I have actually had a hand press in my cart many many times. Just have so many options already i never pull the trigger and get one.
Would be great for loading at the range too and fits in a go bag.
Old October 6, 2014, 11:27 PM   #10
849ACSO

I have a home range, but have taken the hand press to the bench and worked up 223 loads with new bullets and/or powders. It's a great all around tool. Spent many a winter day squeezing out rounds from the comfort of my dining room watching the snow fly thinking about how cold the shop is and being too lazy to fire the stove to load a few......
Old October 7, 2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Osuvet85

Thanks for the replies. It's become obvious I have some more studying to do. The other method I've been looking at is the Lee turret press, I assume this resizes the case as well as the neck? Thanks again.
Old October 7, 2014, 09:16 AM   #12
skizzums

I have the Lee Anniversary Breech-lock reloading kit. it was 109$ at fsreloading.com. I have reloaded thousands for my lever action in .38/.357, never had any issues. I would recommend the kit to any new reloader, comes with absolutely everything you will need sans dies and calipers
Old October 7, 2014, 10:18 AM   #13
mehavey

Perchance Lee's concern for its collet dies not Full-Length resizing?
http://cartridgeloaders.com/article/...%20not%3F.html

If so, get a not-much-more-expensive bench press, and a standard two-die set
with (1) full-length sizer/deprimer, and (2) seating/standard roll-crimp die.

You'll be fine.
Old October 7, 2014, 10:32 AM   #14
buck460XVR

I think the concern may be more for bottle neck cartridges and not straight walled handgun calibers.
Old October 7, 2014, 11:03 AM   #15
mehavey

As long as the OP can snugly roll-crimp the case, it can work.
(I use a Lyman 310 hand press for 38-55 BP at the range, but I don't have to crimp that.)
Old October 7, 2014, 06:50 PM   #16
pathdoc

Then again, Lee made a Loader for .30-30, and a more lever-action oriented cartridge you possibly will not find.