The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 17, 2019, 11:40 AM   #1
BuckBerry

Replacement Stock: Ruger American Ranch: 7.62x39

Well I just bought one of these rifles, and I am overall pleased with it. However my plan from the get-go was to replace the stock. (No need to explain why you'd want to replace that cheesy thing.) I'm glad to have a cheap shooter that is Indiana-Deer legal of course. But a nice walnut stock on this thing would be really sweet!

Anyway, I am bummed out to learn that Boyd's Gunstocks does not offer a replacement stock for this rifle/caliber combo.

Does anyone know of any other stock makers that would have a walnut replacement for this rifle... Hopefully for a similar price to Boyd's.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 17, 2019, 02:30 PM   #2
jmr40

I'm not aware of anything for the rifles that take anything other than the original 4 round rotary magazines. I can think of several hundred reasons not to replace the stock though.

I currently have 2 of the American's. A ranch in 5.56 and a Predator that takes the AI magazines in 308. I've had several others with the older style magazines, but sold the others when this style magazine became available.

Trust me, you won't make the rifle any more accurate with a replacement stock. In fact many people who've done it have seen accuracy degrade. The unique bedding system doesn't need a stiff stock like conventional rifles.

You bought a cheap $350-$400 rifle that shoots as well or better than many $1000 rifles. But it is still a cheap rifle with a cheap finish. Spending $200 on a different stock makes it a $550-$600 rifle. If I have a $600 budget there are better rifles. Its still a $250 used rifle regardless of the stock.

Winston Churchill
Old June 18, 2019, 04:39 PM   #3
BuckBerry

Jmr,
The voice of reason! I was really only looking to have a walnut stock for the look. But for what it is, just not worth the $.

Thank you