The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 8, 2019, 05:30 PM   #1
kymasabe

How many carry more than one, and why ?

I carry one handgun and a spare mag. And if I think I'm headed somewhere a little more dangerous than usual, I'll grab an extra mag. But, I've been reading recently of members here who carry one in the waistband and one in the pocket, or one in pocket and one on ankle, etc..
Is it because you live in inherently dangerous areas and might need a second gun? Or afraid your primary might fail ?
I'm not trying to insult anyone, it's just never occurred to me to carry more than one and am trying to understand why people do.
Old June 8, 2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

I carry one with a spare mag 95% of the time (just pulled that number out of my hat). However, I have carried a BUG instead of a spare mag before more than once.

Here's my reasoning: when I was carrying my Ruger LC9S Pro I ran some reload drills and quickly discovered just how easy it was to miss the magwell just slightly and in some cases greatly lengthen the time necessary to recharge my weapon. After some thought on it I realized that I could just as easily carry my Ruger LCP (or similar) instead of the spare mag and not have to worry about mangling a mag change. So on the rare occasions that I carry the LC9 I simply slip the LCP into the other pocket instead of a spare mag. Works for me.
Old June 8, 2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

My LCP goes in my pocket first thing every morning. No matter if I have plans of going anywhere or not. If I go anywhere close, in my very safe, part rural, part suburban area that's most likely all I carry. But if my travels force me into places with a higher chance of a problem, my Sig P320 carry goes IWB. At that point I just don't bother taking my LCP out of my pocket. Not necessarily as a BUG, but just because it's already there, it weighs noticeably nothing, and it goes unnoticed by me, and anybody else.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 8, 2019, 08:44 PM   #4
Steve in PA

Ive carried OWB (Glock 26) and ankle carried a BUG (S&W 642).
Old June 8, 2019, 09:03 PM   #5
MoArk Willy

How many carry everyday because it's your right rather than your need?
Old June 8, 2019, 09:45 PM   #6
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoArk Willy View Post
That's a great question for a separate thread.
Old June 8, 2019, 11:10 PM   #7
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoArk Willy View Post
impossible to know when you will need it.
Old June 9, 2019, 02:16 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I'm not trying to insult anyone, it's just never occurred to me to carry more than one and am trying to understand why people do.
The primary consideration for a back up gun is what happens if, for any reason, your primary is no longer usable.

The practice comes from the days when there were only revolvers, actually even earlier, when all handguns were muzzle loading single shots. A "brace" of pistols was fairly common, giving two shot rapidly, twice as much as someone with only one gun.

Move ahead to the revolver era, and it becomes even more important, especially with single action Cap & ball (which take some time to reload) and still important with cartridge firearms, again, in the days of single actions, and their reload times.

Moving further forward in time, we find the DA revolver, which is significantly faster to reload, even before the advent of speed loaders. However, even with the rapid reload of a DA revolver (by the standards of the era) grabbing a second, loaded revolver was still faster than reloading the one you just shot dry.

Don't know how or why a backup gun became called a "New York Reload" but its been known as such for a long time...

Even today with spare mags, a back up gun has utility for some. What are the things that will put your primary out of action??

#1) Running out of ammo (not as big a concern today with hicap mags and spare mags, but still always a possibility...

#2) mechanical failure; something important breaks. Something a tap,rack, bang drill won't fix...

#3) Losing control / possession of your primary handgun. This is NOT as trivial as you might think. In a real world fight, there are times when your gun might be dropped/slips/ or be knocked from your hand(s). And, since about nobody uses a lanyard anymore, getting your primary gun back could be problematical.
Simply put, if your gun comes out of your hands, you might not be able to get it back and without a backup gun, you are disarmed.

For most of us the "need" for a second gun isn't a big one, but it is an important thing for some people.

Were I knowingly going in harm's way, I would pack a backup.

And, if I KNEW I was going into combat, I'd also take a rifle! And friends!!
Old June 9, 2019, 02:25 AM   #9
ms6852

I carry two for three reasons. First it is a faster reload, secondly if an assault occurs immediately and it happens to be on the side that I carry my primary weapon and am hindered by the attack I have the other gun on the opposite of my body allowing me to retrieve and defend myself. Also there is always the possibility of getting wounded, rendering either arm useless. Right now I carry a 686 with 2 speed strips and have replaced my 22 mag with a 911 .380.

I may seem paranoid but working in a level one trauma center for more than 3 decades I saw a lot of elderly patients that were brutally attacked all the time. The older we get the more prone the elderly become susceptible to assaults because the punks think we are an easy target. I assure you I will not be one of them.

Last edited by ms6852; June 9, 2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old June 9, 2019, 08:42 AM   #10
P5 Guy

Rarely carry a spare mag, but when I do it is a 17 round mag.
They work reliably in my G26.
Old June 9, 2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Ed4032

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
impossible to know when you will need it.
I only wear seatbelts when I need it. Same thing with a gun. Only when I need it. Soooo I always carry even at home.
Old June 9, 2019, 09:04 AM   #12
Charlie_98

I guess I technically don't carry 2 handguns... but when I travel I always have 2... one on my person, and another either in my BOB or the truck console. They are both Kahrs... so they take the same magazines, same holsters, etc. I like simplicity.

Wherever you go, there you are...
Old June 9, 2019, 09:23 AM   #13
tlm225

Always have a spare magazine but rarely carry two guns. The exceptions are:

Winter time if I wear a zipped coat. My 642 in the coat pocket offers immediate access and the ability to shoot from the pocket. The other time is on a road trip. If for some reason I have to leave the wife behind in the vehicle (break down etc..) I have one to leave with her (she doesn't carry). During my LE career I always had a BUG on me while on duty.
Old June 9, 2019, 09:56 AM   #14
74A95

Many cops carry a BUG, because crap happens. I did when I was a cop, and all the other officers did too.
Old June 9, 2019, 05:15 PM   #15
kenny53

I carry two guns because, faster then a reload, in case I have a failure with one gun, in case one arm becomes injured or restrained, because I want to. I have friends that carry one, and friends that never carry. I am thankful we live were we can defend ourselves and family.
Old June 9, 2019, 08:08 PM   #16
youngridge

My BG380 is with me all day everyday, when not at work I have a G26 IWB also. Usually switch to a 43 in the summer but haven’t yet....may just keep with the 26. Work is business casual so deep concealment is very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 11, 2019, 07:27 AM   #17
USNRet93

I carry one everyday, even at home. I occasionally carry a spare magazine. G43 with ‘bigger’ clothes and G42 with tighter(Clipdraw, sits lower in pants)..

BUT traveling in WI, flew here and didn’t have a lockable case so didn’t bring either. Only been EDC for about 18 months but feel like I’m walking around with pants down..didn’t realize how comfy I am with it and how uncomfortable I am without.

But never carried more than one...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old June 11, 2019, 07:52 AM   #18
Hal

Quote:
As one of the past members here (CR Sam)was often quoted as saying, "You can't script your next encounter".

I carry every time I go out the door - except when I know I'm headed some place where I'll be "bending my elbow".

And to the OP - LCP in my pocket & quite often either the .45 Shield in the waist or the Sig 938 on my ankle.
Old June 11, 2019, 03:28 PM   #19
TailGator

The fastest and most reliable reload is a second handgun where you can reach it. The fastest and most reliable cure for a failed handgun is the same. That is going to be the gist of the argument for carrying a second.

I understand it, but I don't do it. My EDC is a Glock 26, extremely reliable, with a spare mag for either failures (most likely) or a reload (not going to happen if I have opportunity to get my sorry behind out of there). I have a pocket pistol that I trust, too, but it is for times when my usual IWB carry method doesn't work; I don't carry it as a backup.
Old June 11, 2019, 04:39 PM   #20
stephen426

I carry my Glock 43 IWB and 2 spare mags with +2 extensions in my back pocket in a cordura holster I made. I carry 2 spare mags because 1 mag is hard to balance and prints more. 2 spare mags look like a wallet and is more comfortable to sit on.
Old June 12, 2019, 01:32 PM   #21
Nanuk

I carry a spare mag for my Glock 31C because that is the weak link. I carry a BUG because I have done so for 40 years and can't count the times it allowed me to come home at night.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 13, 2019, 07:12 AM   #22
CDW4ME

I carry a 2nd pistol (Glock 43/Shield/KahrPM) in weak hand front pocket.
It allows me to put my hand on a gun without revealing I'm concealing, handy if approached by someone "shady" in parking lot, gas pump ect... (big reason)
Can't discretely put my hand on the pistol that's IWB.
Offers quick access to a pistol if dominant hand is unavailable for whatever reason. (Could happen)
The 2nd pistol is not a necessarily carried as a "back-up" rather a 2nd option, or alternative.
As with my primary pistol, I want that 2nd pistol at least 9mm; if it is ever needed I envision the reason being dire and close.
Old June 14, 2019, 12:14 PM   #23
T. O'Heir

"...why people do..." Same reason you carry another mag. Because you/they can.
"...somewhere a little more dangerous..." Those are places you should not be going.
Old June 14, 2019, 01:03 PM   #24
fastbolt

I have a longtime friend who commonly wears 2 or 3 handguns on him, even on his own rural property. Claims he picked up the desire during his tours in 'Nam. He can, so he does. FWIW, he's another retired peace officer and firearms instructor, and he's been involved in the martial arts for more than 50 years.

I don't often carry more than 1 gun, myself. I'm retired and am no longer being sent to suspected or known trouble a few times each hour, or managing a caseload that deliberately puts me in potentially troublesome spots 8-16hrs each shift. That significantly reduces my exposure to high risk environments. Instead of deliberately (professionally) looking for trouble, now it has to make the effort to come find me.

In those instances when I do decide to add a secondary weapon, I do so against the remote possibility of finding myself suddenly bereft of my primary weapon. I think of the secondary weapon as my "Onion Field" hideout. It's usually 1 of my LCP's or NAA Mini's that become that "hideout alternative".

In earlier years some folks who discussed the practice of cops carrying a secondary weapon opined that it ought to be at least chambered in a caliber equivalent to the primary weapon. Others fell back on an older preference, looking for the .22LR, .25ACP, .22WMR, .32ACP or .380ACP.

Like Bill Jordan, who once wrote in his book, "S&W Chief Special Airweight, .38 Spl. caliber. This is a fine hideout gun due to its fire power, small size and negligible weight. Would be ideal in .22 RFM caliber".

The old High Standard 2-shot O/U derringer, chambered in either .22LR or .22MAG, was reportedly often carried by cops as last ditch hideout weapons.

I remember some of the guys with whom I used to work, back in the revolver days carrying everything from itty bitty .22's, .25's, .380's and .38's ... up to .45 Commanders and S&W 2 1/2" M19's as secondary weapons. Once the practice was eventually formalized and controlled by policy it evolved into primarily seeing either .380's or .38's being requested for secondary carry roles.

Whatever may be chosen by someone for such a role (presuming its legal in someone's jurisdiction, of course), it's prudent to remember that being able to use it is just as important as being able to use a "primary", if not more so.
Old June 14, 2019, 03:47 PM   #25
sarge912

Sometimes yes, most of the times no, but it's nice to have the option.

If you are going to carry two (or more) it's important to train with them both at the same time.

When I was a young man I took a report from an LT that was with another department but happened to be going home through my jurisdiction. He was cornered by several armed suspects. He took out the closest two with his service weapon, drew a second weapon weak hand and took out a third.

After I was done taking his statement he said in parting. "Remember son, never reload if you can draw a another weapon." (or something close to that )Sage advice IMO.