The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 10, 2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Prof Young

Got a new range bag.

For my 68 year celebration I bought one of these . . .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have used it once. Carried guns and ammo all in the one bag. Heavier than carrying ammo and guns in separate bags, but more convenient. I'm leaving all my empty spare mags in the side pockets. No more get to the range and "Oh wait, I forgot the magazines." Am leaving my muffs and assorted gun smithing tools in it too. I think it's gonna be a keeper. Very heavy duty construction.

Life is good.

Happy Birthday to me.

Prof Young
Old March 10, 2019, 08:37 PM   #2
ZEBRARANGER

Very nice, I like all the separate compartments.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:02 AM   #3
TJB101

Happy #68 .... do let us know your thoughts after you’ve used it for a while. I’ve been pondering one as well. My biggest concern would be handling the weight of 4 or 5 boxes of 45 ball ammo along with 3 or 4 guns.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:15 AM   #4
10-96

Quote:
My biggest concern would be handling the weight of 4 or 5 boxes of 45 ball ammo along with 3 or 4 guns.
Weight was the concern I had with the range bags that are available most places today. That's why I went with this https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathe...50+Ford+Custom

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:18 AM   #5
10-96

Well, I had some trouble posting my last post, and I have no idea what it has to do with a 50 Ford Custom- but the above link does go to my new range bag. And I don't worry about weight any longer. I believe Custom Leather Craft is the folks who makes the bags for Dewalt tool folks.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 12, 2019, 11:51 AM   #6
zeke

like using tool boxs/bags for being more inconspicuous. Like the big boss bags and larger/sturdier plastic tool boxes.
Old March 13, 2019, 05:30 PM   #7
ifithitu

Very nice range bag.
Old March 14, 2019, 02:54 PM   #8
scottycoyote

ive been eyeing similar bags including that one.....I have a couple of heavier duty style range bags but something a little smaller then that for pistol only would be nice. Id be interested to hear how this bag holds up
Old April 4, 2019, 02:37 PM   #9
Prof Young

Used it half a dozen time so far and . . .

I've used this bag on half a dozen range trips and am "learning" how to take advantage of it's features. I have all my spare mags in the side pockets so I will never again get to the range without a mag. (I know I'm not the only one.) I've made the bottom compartment into "slots" with the provided Velcro pads and have left the top compartment open. I leave my gunsmith screw driver kit in one of the slots, guns go in the rest. Ammo goes in the top. Now when I switch guns and ammo at the range I only have to pick up one bag instead of two. I leave my monocular, oil, marker and ear plugs in one of the side pockets. My brass rod and plastic hammer in the long side pocket. (Although I haven't had a squib in years.)

The one thing I don't like is that I have a hard time fitting my longer revolvers in it. My Ruger Super Blackhawk, 44 mag, has the long barrel on it and the only way I can fit it in the pack is by laying it across the slotted compartments where it may contact other guns.

All in all it was a good buy and works well enough for my purposes. And it seriously is heavy duty in terms of construction.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old April 7, 2019, 07:25 AM   #10
L2R

Professor,

I like your bag a lot!

It does seem like bags are like holsters. I have many but haven't found one that is perfect.

I have a midway that keeps mags handy and has separate compartments for weapons regardless of size.

It might work better for those with large revolvers; however, it is also a black hole and difficult to see everything.

As much as I like picking up 1 thing and knowing I have it all, no one has addressed the paper targets in a bag.

I carry this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not everyone shoots paper targets but the point being, I don't think there is a perfect bag but if there is one, it probably needs wheels :-)