The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Should a home defense shotgun have a sling?
Yes 7 17.07%
No 34 82.93%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25, 2016, 05:08 PM   #26
peggysue

But what if?
Old August 25, 2016, 06:30 PM   #27
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
Slings are just bad ju-ju inside a home where Mr Murphy rules the day
And yet... Just about every police department in the country uses them and has used them forever. Strange they don't seem to have this gremlin problem with slings and being used indoors.
Old August 25, 2016, 08:19 PM   #28
FITASC

And the average person does not have the training; and the police officers have back up and are not emotionally tied to kids or anything else in the house nor caught bu surprise. Two totally different scenarios.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 26, 2016, 01:46 AM   #29
Old Bill Dibble

Ok first why would police not get caught by surprise?

Second why can't people get training?

If the threat of getting caught on something is so high having two police with slings on their guns just means that two guys get caught.

A sling properly designed and employed is at extremely low risk of getting caught on something.
Old August 26, 2016, 06:50 AM   #30
FITASC

The thread is about HD, not police; a sling in a home is a poor choice to make - the poll results seem to agree
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 26, 2016, 09:04 AM   #31
Old Bill Dibble

Polls also say Clinton is the best choice for president.

I'll agree that if someone won't do much training, practice, research and find what works best for them then there is a one size fits all answer... what is simplest.