The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Is 4+1 shots enough for Law Enforcement use?
No, it is not enough for a police shotgun 14 32.56%
Yes, it is enough for a police shotgun 18 41.86%
No, but it is enough for home defense 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27, 2016, 11:31 PM   #26
Stretchman

I think the newer 870s that come with extended mag tubes, like the Tactical, now have a 7 round single tube, much like the mossbergs.

I have also heard that when you install the tube extension, that you should gently tap it as you're installing it, then once it's tightened down, install a decent magazine clamp to keep it from moving. If it's installed correctly, then there will be no pinch point in the seams for a spring or the follower to catch.
Old July 29, 2016, 10:56 AM   #27
deadcoyote

In my 18 years thus far in law enforcement the shotgun is the red headed step child of firearms. We do the least training on them, they get the least maintenance and cleaning, and they're all old as hell while we still replace Glocks and AR uppers every few years. It's odd. We have multiple types of shotguns on hand, but the old 4+1 patrol 870 is the most common. When I was issued a shotgun I took a winchester 1300 7+1 out of the locker. We had two of em and nobody wanted em. My current assignment doesn't warrant a shotgun.
Old July 29, 2016, 07:51 PM   #28
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
I think the newer 870s that come with extended mag tubes, like the Tactical, now have a 7 round single tube, much like the mossbergs.

I have also heard that when you install the tube extension, that you should gently tap it as you're installing it, then once it's tightened down, install a decent magazine clamp to keep it from moving. If it's installed correctly, then there will be no pinch point in the seams for a spring or the follower to catch.
I believe to be correct on both points, Stretchman, and when I assemble my 870 I pop the magazine as I am screwing the extension on, with the effect of tapping as you have heard. Were I a LEO, I wouldn't want to count on it being properly assembled and especially if it were a pool gun. I would want the single piece magazine tube.
Old July 29, 2016, 07:57 PM   #29
JERRYS.

I have an old 870 express magnum 20" bbl. with rifle sights somewhere. It was a 4 shot tube, but I removed the restricting dimples on the i.d. and added a +2 extension a decade or more back.....nice gun but my Mossberg 930 has taken its place for at the ready. oh, here it is.

Old August 2, 2016, 08:30 PM   #30
tlm225

I added a +2 extension to my personally owned department approved 870. I figure that I can still prevail if I only had a four shot magazine but the two additional rounds come with no downside. This gives me six rounds of 00 buck in the magazine and six slugs in the sidesaddle. I've carried this gun for about 16 years. I've also had a rifle on occasion but the shotgun will always be with me.