The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 5, 2020, 03:25 PM   #1
reynolds357

Savage Axis ii problem

I have a Axis 2, .25-06 I bought for a truck gun.
It misfires. It misfires factory ammo, hand loaded ammo, any full length sized ammo. Light primer strikes. It fires necked sized ammo reliably with good solid primer strikes. So, that sounds easy enough to fix, its obviously headspace. Before I go and brake the nut off, I decide I will check it. The go gauge will barely go and the no-go will not even begin to close. The headspace is on the tight end of spec. What is going on? Is the chamber cut screwey and the gauge is spacing on a miscut or something. If I had a .25-06 reamer I would recut it, but dont have one and am definitely not going to rent one for an Axis Barrel
????
Old June 5, 2020, 08:19 PM   #2
big al hunter

Have you cleaned the bolt yet? Last time I ran into light strikes the firing pin was gummed up with oil, dirt and powder residue. If that doesn't do anything, pull it apart and look at the chamber. Easy enough to put it back together and snug up the headspace a little.
Old June 5, 2020, 08:43 PM   #3
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al hunter View Post
Have you cleaned the bolt yet? Last time I ran into light strikes the firing pin was gummed up with oil, dirt and powder residue. If that doesn't do anything, pull it apart and look at the chamber. Easy enough to put it back together and snug up the headspace a little.
I cleaned up bolt. Polished the firing pin. If I go any snugger on headspace, it will be under spec.
Old June 5, 2020, 08:49 PM   #4
stagpanther

Are you getting resistance closing the bolt? I know axis are a bit stiff anyway--but does the bolt fully rotate going with the cartridge going in and out of battery? You might have something impeding the bolt (easy to do--overtorqued receiver screws, scope base screws etc.).
Old June 5, 2020, 11:23 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Are you getting resistance closing the bolt? I know axis are a bit stiff anyway--but does the bolt fully rotate going with the cartridge going in and out of battery? You might have something impeding the bolt (easy to do--overtorqued receiver screws, scope base screws etc.).
The bolt is free. I checked it when the bolt was disassembled.
Old June 6, 2020, 05:52 AM   #6
stagpanther

Can you swap another bolt as a check? I personally would ascertain that there is nothing wrong with the bolt and the receiver (as well as the specs on the cartridge). I've seen where misalignment of a bolt or a run-out of the bullet can create a camming effect of the cartridge when closing the bolt. Otherwise reset the headspace, it's not a big deal but I would use an action vice instead of a barrel vice to break the seal and keep the movement of the barrel nut to a minimum, savage likes using those mini ball bearings to cement the thread locking. I have the same rifle and it's a very sweet shooter, I hope you work it out.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 6, 2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old June 6, 2020, 09:02 AM   #7
ligonierbill

Check with Savage. I have a Sauer 100 that acted like that. As soon as I contacted them, they said send us the bolt. It came back with a new pin and spring. No problem since.
Old June 6, 2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Remington74

Go with ligonierbill. Contact Savage and get it fixed on their dime. No sense in spending a lot of time and frustration on an issue that appears to be a factory issue anyway.