The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 20, 2019, 10:53 AM   #1
LineStretcher

WASR-10

Just for fun I bought a WASR-10 AK-47 Style rifle. I know, these things are man moa at best but I didn't buy it thinking it was going to shoot sub moa. I have shot a few and just kind of like them because you can feed them crap ammo, bury them in the desert sand, drop them in a muddy field and then wash them off in the creek and they still shoot. Not always perfectly but they still cycle which is something you can't say about the AR's.

Century Arms is the importer for the WASR-10's coming from Romania. Obama and Trump pretty much ended the Chinese and Russian imports and that has caused a rise in the prices that they can now get for the AK's. You used to be able to buy one for about 400.00 and they were barely worth that but today they are just over 700.00.

I figure it's not going to get any better so I might as well buy one while I still could. I'm not sure about state by state restrictions on them but I've heard there are some states where they are banned. Nevada is not one of those states but if it keeps going the way it is, it won't be long before you can't buy one here either. That alone is reason enough for me to buy one even if I don't need one and I don't.

I had to order the rifle from Century Arms through Sportsman's Warehouse and it is supposed to arrive on Thursday 4/25/2019. I'll tear it apart and fix any issues I can and then get it out to the range for some fun shooting.

One thing I already like is the cost of ammo and the massive amounts of it that are available. I'll hit the next gun show and stock up. Because it is so cheap, I have no plans to reload for it.
Old April 20, 2019, 12:30 PM   #2
'88Scrat

I've got one. It's exactly as you describe, enjoy it for what it is and it's great fun!
Old April 20, 2019, 01:04 PM   #3
stangbangr

I’ve got a couple. A WASR, a WASR 10-63 and a WASR 10. They are more accurate than people assume. My first one I paid $300 for.
Old April 20, 2019, 03:07 PM   #4
LineStretcher

They can give acceptable accuracy if you take the time to deal with the issues and understand how you sight them in. The trick is to not go too far and try to turn it into a precision rifle because that will basically remove the reliability factor and end up upping the cost of your ammo. Almost any other rifle out there is better for upgrading so your time and money are better spent there.

I just ordered the Magpul folding stock and upgraded for end furniture. Mine comes with the side mount scope rail and I have a couple of scopes that would be suitable but I doubt I'll ever put one on it. I learned that lesson when I scoped my M95 SBL 45-70. One range outing showed me that it was easier to shoot and therefore more accurate with iron sights.
Old April 21, 2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

Quote:
you can feed them crap ammo, bury them in the desert sand, drop them in a muddy field and then wash them off in the creek and they still shoot. Not always perfectly but they still cycle which is something you can't say about the AR's.
Yeah... About that. AKM mud test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX73uXs3xGU

Vs the AR mud test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAneTFiz5WU
Old April 22, 2019, 08:12 AM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
Just for fun I bought a WASR-10 AK-47 Style rifle. I know, these things are man moa at best but I didn't buy it thinking it was going to shoot sub moa. I have shot a few and just kind of like them because you can feed them crap ammo, bury them in the desert sand, drop them in a muddy field and then wash them off in the creek and they still shoot. Not always perfectly but they still cycle which is something you can't say about the AR's.

Century Arms is the importer for the WASR-10's coming from Romania. Obama and Trump pretty much ended the Chinese and Russian imports and that has caused a rise in the prices that they can now get for the AK's. You used to be able to buy one for about 400.00 and they were barely worth that but today they are just over 700.00.
So many falsehoods in these first few sentences that my head is starting to hurt.

A stock WASR will shoot better than "man moa at best". Try shooting something other than bulk steel case, and you'll be surprised. They also have optic rails - maybe try an optic if you are having that much trouble with the AK iron sights.

Good ARs are reliable in harsh conditions, and In-Range proved in a good series of videos that the AR's closed operating system resists the ingress of mud and blowing sand better than the AK's, and will run longer before malfunctions in those conditions. Both are reliable systems, and both need maintenance.

Neither Obama or Trump had anything to do with restrictions on the import of Chinese-made rifles.
Old April 22, 2019, 08:38 AM   #7
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
So many falsehoods in these first few sentences that my head is starting to hurt.

A stock WASR will shoot better than "man moa at best". Try shooting something other than bulk steel case, and you'll be surprised. They also have optic rails - maybe try an optic if you are having that much trouble with the AK iron sights.

Good ARs are reliable in harsh conditions, and In-Range proved in a good series of videos that the AR's closed operating system resists the ingress of mud and blowing sand better than the AK's, and will run longer before malfunctions in those conditions. Both are reliable systems, and both need maintenance.

Neither Obama or Trump had anything to do with restrictions on the import of Chinese-made rifles.
Dear sir, I fought in Vietnam and Desert storm and have first hand knowledge of the reliability of the M-16 vs the AK. The M4 was an improvement but we didn't get those until later.

You need to do a little more research about current US sanctions in effect for Russia and China.

Shooting cheap steel ammo is what the AK is all about. It was always considered a Man MOA weapon since it didn't matter if you killed a man or wounded him, either way he was out of action. When it was developed the Soviet army was conscript and they needed something that was cheap to manufacture and easy to maintain. Originally they were built with milled receivers but that soon gave way to the stamped steel receivers to speed production and reduce cost.

Sure, you can develop match grade ammo for the AK and you can build an AR with extremely tight match grade tolerances but that's not what you'll find in the field.

So, keeping it in perspective, if you want to try to accurize an AK it will end up more like a pig with lipstick. The AR on the other hand will get there but you'll never see that rifle on the battle field except in the hands of the elite because it would be too expensive to produce.
Old April 24, 2019, 05:40 PM   #8
LineStretcher

Go the WASR-10 today. It is a 2018. I have it stripped and will be soaking it in Simple Green over night. Once it's clean I'll start checking it and truing it up if it needs it. New Magpul Furniture arrives tomorrow afternoon along with the new muzzle brake.
Old April 24, 2019, 06:53 PM   #9
smee78

I really like the Magpul furniture on my AK, I went with the fixed stock and it shoulders a lot better than the stock that came on my WASR. Hope you have fun with your new addition.
Old April 25, 2019, 08:08 PM   #10
LineStretcher

My WASR is tight and the front sight was only out by .030. Easy fix with a mallet so I didn't need to remove the pins and drill them for 1/8" pin. My gas tube is fine also. I also have the Tapco trigger and upgraded bolt. I put the Magpul furniture on it today and I love the folding stock plus the added 3" to LOP when it's extended.

As for MAG's, the PMAG MOE 7.62x39 30 round mag fits perfect and I ordered 2 more from Midway for 14.00 each.

I had to order the Camo paint so I just got the Rustoleum Kit. I love living in the Desert but it cost more to drive to get stuff then the UPS shipping. I also got Camo tape for the grip. I have some on another AR and I can build it up to fit my hand better than any off the shelf grip.

Also, at 700.00, I'd hardly call it "bargain bin". Century is the only importer. Yes there are others that are better and US made but that was not what I wanted. I read all the info I could find on AK's and your post is almost word for word what the older posts said. I'm not sure if things changed but I assume they must have because mine has none of the problems mentioned in those older posts. That's not to say they might not develop somewhere down the road.

One thing for sure, the ammo is cheap at 0.17 cents a round. That's nothing compared to my .338 Lapua or my 50 BMG.

Last edited by LineStretcher; April 26, 2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old April 30, 2019, 10:23 AM   #11
LineStretcher

The WASR-10 got camo'd up..
Old April 30, 2019, 12:50 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Why, I can't even see it!
Old May 1, 2019, 12:23 PM   #13
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Why, I can't even see it!
LOL Here's the finished product. Quite different from the basic WASR 10/63
Old May 1, 2019, 03:25 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
You used to be able to buy one for about 400.00 and they were barely worth that but today they are just over 700.00.
Supply and demand, my friend. Actually, in the 1980s, AKs went for 99.99. Lots of supply, little demand from the generation that fought against them. That changed in the 1990s after Bill Clinton tried to ban them, suddenly everybody HAD to have one. And they were cheap, that's what usually drives American shooters. Just like Mosins.
Quote:
Century Arms is the importer for the WASR-10's
Worst importer, cheapest AK variants. You get what you pay for.
Quote:
you can feed them crap ammo, bury them in the desert sand, drop them in a muddy field and then wash them off in the creek and they still shoot.
Weeeeeell, not so much. Yes, they are not finicky, but if you treat them like that, they will never be reliable. And WASRs aren't very reliable anyway, lots of issues. Best of the current crop are the Serbian M70s IMO.
Quote:
if you want to try to accurize an AK it will end up more like a pig with lipstick.
It will end up costing more than an accurized AR, that's for sure. Yes, it can be done if you start with a milled receiver AK, but don't even get me started on what it would take to accurize a WASR. Basically, just remove the buttstock and handguard, throw everything else away and put in the parts you need. There are accurate AKs, but they all have one thing in common, they cost more than an AR. Look up American Armory's AKs.
Old May 23, 2019, 04:18 AM   #15
silvermane_1

WASRs are good rifles for what meant to do, not really much to say than that.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old May 23, 2019, 03:28 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
Dear sir, I fought in Vietnam and Desert storm and have first hand knowledge of the reliability of the M-16 vs the AK. The M4 was an improvement but we didn't get those until later.
Thank you for your service. And as you stated with your reference to the M4, modern ARs and their employment have come a long way since the 1960s.

Quote:
You need to do a little more research about current US sanctions in effect for Russia and China.
Don't worry. I did. That's why I can tell you that neither Obama or Trump had anything to do with restrictions on the import of Chinese-made rifles. These restrictions came years before either of those presidents were in office.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:20 PM   #17
Ignition Override

"Man MOA": is that in select fire, or semi-auto with the gun's original open sights? Also, untrained jihadi swine, or actual trained shooters?
5.45x39 or 7.62x39?

With a red dot, some can be far more accurate than with the open sights, and at 50 or 100 yards might approach what some guys do with their ARs in .223.

Fishbed77: They might not Want to know that the late George Bush Senior enacted the first ban on Chinese AKs. Was this action not linked to a previous Chinese violation of a certain agreement?

President Obama banned all Saiga imports from Russia, supposedly because the guy who was the majority owner of the company, or corporate group, was an oligarch on the list of banned businessmen. Was he not?

LineStretcher: We read about the very deceptive anti-gun Cancer which leaks from Kalifornia into some other western states, and will continue as legions of anti-freedom CA residents (along with many from other west/east coast states) settle in western cities, eroding traditional American Constitutional freedoms.

About this cancerous thinking, it just spread from the EU into Switzerland via a recent vote, linked to giving the Swiss access to more of the EU's trade. Hard to believe that even the Swiss will lose civilian access to certain gun features or types...….and don't mind Big Brother gaining the ability to remove some of their traditional freedoms.

Last edited by Ignition Override; May 23, 2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old May 24, 2019, 04:33 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
George Bush Senior enacted the first ban on Chinese AKs. Was this action not linked to a previous Chinese violation of a certain agreement?
My understanding of that particular ban was that the manufacturer was using the same receivers and trigger assemblies for semi-autos and full auto rifles, the only difference was the secondary sear. This made the semi-autos "technically" full autos (easily converted to automatic fire). It certainly made conversion to full auto simple. The offending manufacturer was a major state-owned entity, and had been warned repeatedly.