The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 28, 2020, 06:37 PM   #1
ChasHam

Moving From Black Powder to Pyrodex

I'm switching from 3F black powder to Pyrodex P in my stainless 7½ inch Ruger Old Army.

Anything I need to do differently?
Old December 28, 2020, 08:37 PM   #2
mehavey

Clean the same way/hot soapy water/oil.

But why?
Old December 28, 2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Hellgate

If you use a lube wad under the ball/bullet you may get delayed ignition. Pyrodex likes to be compressed (3F/P). Instead of a BOOM! you will get a paBOOM!. When I eliminated the wads I got good ignition if the powder was compressed. After that I pretty much said to hell with it and went back to real gunpowder. All my Pyrodex (P or R/S) went into the shotgun to use it up.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 28, 2020, 11:13 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

I don’t like the fouling from Pyrodex in my revolvers. It’s more of a sticky fouling. I also don’t like the performance as mine are sidearms for hunting. I used Triple 7 until I found Olde Eynsford.
Old December 29, 2020, 07:11 AM   #5
Hawg

I never get delayed ignition using wads or sticky fouling and I use a lot of Pyrodex. The only thing I ever had delayed ignition with was an 1863 Sharps. The firing channel is long and has two turns. It never failed to fire but it sounded like a poorly timed flintlock. Pyrodex also has an undeserved reputation for corrosion. Just clean it like you would for bp and you will be ok.
Old December 29, 2020, 10:16 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

A dash of 3 or 4F into the chamber first followed by pyrodex.
Old December 29, 2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Pahoo

Keep moving ???

Quote:
Moving From Black Powder to Pyrodex
If I may ask; Why ???

Quote:
I don’t like the fouling from Pyrodex in my revolvers.
If this is the reason, then may I suggest that you keep moving. There is not a big difference between BP and Pyrodex. As mentioned, try some 777 or other M/L replacement propellant. The last time I shot my Ruger Old Army, I used 777. Ya still have to clean but you might like working with it. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 29, 2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old December 29, 2020, 07:19 PM   #8
ChasHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
If I may ask; Why ???]
Had a 35 year-old can of GOEX BP that I couldn't open and sought advice in TFL Reloading forum-- "Opening Stiuck Powder Can Lid" (https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=608984).

After weighing all the comments, I decided to get rid of the BP and switch to Pyrodex-- primarily for safety reasons...that, and Cabela's had it on sale for $19.99
Old December 29, 2020, 07:54 PM   #9
Pahoo

Missed That !!!

Quote:
Pyrodex-- primarily for safety reasons...that, and Cabela's had it on sale for $19.99
Sorry Chas-Man, I almost forgot about you. There are always trade-offs when dealing with M/L propellants and safety is always high on the list. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2020, 07:38 AM   #10
darkgael

Is Pyrodex safer than BP???
Old December 30, 2020, 07:46 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael View Post
No
Old December 30, 2020, 08:38 AM   #12
noelf2

Quote:
It's a bit harder to ignite, and burns a little slower, but inherits the same dangers.
Old December 30, 2020, 11:45 AM   #13
Hellgate

The Pyro-P is a fluffy powder and will compress quite a bit. You could probably fill the chambers to the brim and ram a ball down on top and still clear the mouth.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 30, 2020, 01:54 PM   #14
Pahoo

Yes but depends on your measure

Quote:
It depends on your perspective and how one makes this measure. ...
An important point to consider is that BP is classified as a Class-A explosive and Pyrodex as well as many others, are classified as an combustible mixture. There are numerous safety precautions when dealing with BP that do not need to followed, with the "others".

Be Safe !!!
Old January 27, 2021, 07:05 AM   #15
darkgael

Quote:
A dash of 3 or 4F into the chamber first followed by pyrodex.
If you are going to use BP to light the Pyrodex, just use BP and forget the Pyro.
Old January 27, 2021, 11:04 AM   #16
Pahoo

K.I.S.S.

Quote:
If you are going to use BP to light the Pyrodex, just use BP and forget the Pyro.
Point well taken and have to agree. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old January 27, 2021, 02:46 PM   #17
Schlitz 45

Never had any issues using Pyrodex & switched over more than thirty years ago so I could shoot my revolvers I had at that time without the cylinder jamming up after a couple of reloads. Used R in my 54 Hawken to drop 2 deer during regular rifle season use for fun & it did the job nicely. Just got a Ruger Old Army in stainless & shot it for the first time last weekend using P & it cleaned up like brand new with minimal scrubbing. I do have a pound of 777 that I want to try side by side and shoot through the chronograph & compare it with Pyrodex. Also, used wonder wads for years & haven’t noticed any delay in firing when topping off 30/35gr pistol loads.
Old January 28, 2021, 08:42 PM   #18
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHam
I'm switching from 3F black powder to Pyrodex P in my stainless 7½ inch Ruger Old Army.

Anything I need to do differently?
Take your right hand and slap yourself across the face ?
Old January 29, 2021, 03:10 AM   #19
TruthTellers

Pyrodex is cheap for a reason and one of the few times I will ever say you get what you pay for.

I've decided to stick to either real black (which it's nice that Midway sells Goex now) or Triple 7, real black for the authenticity and fun and Triple 7 for the power and easier cleaning.

Pyrodex about ruined a Pietta percussion revolver I have. I had seen some videos (one was Nutnfancy) and they said substitutes don't need cleaning like black powder does. Shot it once and two weeks later I had a brown bore. Even after doing cleanings the same or next day, they never seemed to be enough when dealing with Pyrodex.

Maybe BP is the same, but I see no advantage to Pyrodex other than it being the bottom of the barrel in price. Although I do find it to be pretty accurate, but more than real BP? IDK, will find out when there's a warm enough day and I hit the outdoor range.
Old January 29, 2021, 09:36 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Pyrodex is cheap for a reason and one of the few times I will ever say you get what you pay for.

I've decided to stick to either real black (which it's nice that Midway sells Goex now) or Triple 7, real black for the authenticity and fun and Triple 7 for the power and easier cleaning.

Pyrodex about ruined a Pietta percussion revolver I have. I had seen some videos (one was Nutnfancy) and they said substitutes don't need cleaning like black powder does. Shot it once and two weeks later I had a brown bore. Even after doing cleanings the same or next day, they never seemed to be enough when dealing with Pyrodex.

Maybe BP is the same, but I see no advantage to Pyrodex other than it being the bottom of the barrel in price. Although I do find it to be pretty accurate, but more than real BP? IDK, will find out when there's a warm enough day and I hit the outdoor range.
I never went two weeks but I have gone nine days after shooting Pyrodex with no ill effects.
Old January 29, 2021, 11:46 AM   #21
skywag

Dan Pawlak was a great guy. I flew him around when he developed Pyrodex.
Old February 7, 2021, 11:57 AM   #22
deerslayer303

I shoot whatever I have honestly lol. I don't really see a huge difference. The pistols shoot great with "P" and the Kentucky rifle doesn't give two craps what powder is in there. As long as you pour in 90-100 grains she will put the balls dang near in the same hole if I do my part. As far as cleaning it's the same method, my guns NEVER sit without being cleaned after shooting. They are cleaned the very same day no problems. Ballistol made into moose milk cleans up Pyrodex just as easy as BP. If I'm swabbing the bore at the range. Dawn makes light work out of any of it in a sink full of Hot water. Happy SHOOSHTING!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old February 11, 2021, 02:09 PM   #23
5whiskey

Well to bring this one back, I chronographed some balls over pyrodex rs out of an open top colt clone yesterday and was really surprised at the numbers. 35 grains of pyrodex rs will launch a .454 140 gn ball to about 980 FPS. I use pyrodex rs because I had a good bit of it given to me. Otherwise, if I have to buy it, it will be Old E powder. A 35 gn charge of Old E powder gives me 1100 FPS out of an 1858 NMA. Grafs black powder is the slowest of all I tried at 890-910 FPS. SD numbers for all of them are in the upper teens, but all my loads are very accurate. I was really surprised as pyrodex rifle powder giving the velocity it did, I would have guessed under 900fps.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old February 16, 2021, 07:31 PM   #24
ThomasT

Quote:
Grafs black powder is the slowest of all I tried at 890-910 FPS. SD numbers for all of them are in the upper teens, but all my loads are very accurate. I was really surprised as pyrodex rifle powder giving the velocity it did, I would have guessed under 900fps.
Is the Grafs you tested the old formula or the new stuff loaded for them by Goex since 2020? The old Grafs was supposed to be Schutsen powder. As soon as they have Grafs brand in stock again I was thinking about buying some.
Old February 17, 2021, 02:53 PM   #25
5whiskey

Quote:
Is the Grafs you tested the old formula or the new stuff loaded for them by Goex since 2020? The old Grafs was supposed to be Schutsen powder. As soon as they have Grafs brand in stock again I was thinking about buying some.
I bought it in 2018 I believe, so it’s the old formula if they changed in 2020. It serves well for most anything, being every bit as accurate as pyrodex and Old E as best I can tell. Just isn’t quite as fast, which honestly doesn’t matter unless I’m going to hunt with it in my rock lock. Then I reach for Old E (pyrodex, of course, is a no go in a flintlock)

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946