recoil junky

Do I carry at home?

Yes.

RJ
Old December 6, 2020, 03:38 PM   #77
reteach

JohnKSa
Quote:
If the odds of an occurrence are all that matters, then nobody would ever buy lottery tickets.
Quote:
It's not because of the odds, it's because of the stakes.
I am going to steal those two paragraphs and use them any and every time someone asks me why I carry. I'll try to remember to give you credit.
Old December 7, 2020, 06:13 PM   #78
zoo

If as a parent if you had an adult child who ALWAYS carried a razor sharp dirk or dagger on their person to "defend themselves" would you tend to get a little worried about that individual? I mean, assuming they don't live in Mozambique or similar?
Old December 7, 2020, 07:39 PM   #79
cc-hangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
If as a parent if you had an adult child who ALWAYS carried a razor sharp dirk or dagger on their person to "defend themselves" would you tend to get a little worried about that individual? I mean, assuming they don't live in Mozambique or similar?
Usually these discussions devolve into casting aspersions on the character and morals of others, and now this one has as well. I posted earlier on my reasons - secure control of a loaded firearm, immediate access in time of need, & I don’t know the future and bad things happen in good neighborhoods.

If someone wants to guarantee my safety and well being in writing by binding contract and assume the associated financial burdens, I’ll be glad to accept that person’s guidance and judgment. Until then, you don’t know anything about me or my circumstances so your opinion and advice is worth every penny I’ve paid for it.
Old December 7, 2020, 07:46 PM   #80
zoo

Quote:
Usually these discussions devolve into casting aspersions on the character and morals of others, and now this one has as well.
I only asked a question. No offense intended. Not sure what to make out of your response other than to say you appear very sensitive as to your choice to pack at home. Would you like a back rub? Hey, do your kids carry?
Old December 7, 2020, 07:59 PM   #81
Ed4032

I’ve been hit by lightning. Odds are so remote as that it ALMOST never happens. So.... carrying at home is, like wearing your seat belt, a good idea.

Getting hit by lightning is not fun either. Ben Franklin’s lightning rod saved me but it still went thru me.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:54 PM   #82
Moonglum

Quote:
Given they are my ADULT child I'd feel it was their business.
Old December 7, 2020, 10:49 PM   #83
4V50 Gary
Staff

When I step outside the house, I'm among the critters. Gentle woodland creatures (term borrowed from Bullwinkle) like deer eat the grass around the house. There's a fox that is hunting for my barncat. Bears should be hibernating but kitty cat (mtn lion) doesn't. It stalked w/12 feet of a neighbor once before the neigbor turned around and saw it.
Old December 8, 2020, 03:22 AM   #84
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Quote:
I only asked a question. No offense intended. Not sure what to make out of your response other than to say you appear very sensitive as to your choice to pack at home. Would you like a back rub? Hey, do your kids carry?
Archetypal posting behavior for this topic.
Don't you think that kind of behavior is worrisome and justifies concern about persons that engage in it? --- What? I'm just asking a question. Calm down--don't be so sensitive.

I would never do that. I won't. If people choose to do that, it's probably because they are not thinking properly. You need to think this through and ask yourself why you are doing what you are doing. --- Wait--why are you so defensive?
For what it's worth, I'm not saying that it's wrong or reprehensible when people believe it's unusual or odd or worrisome or concerning behavior, but it doesn't make sense to me when people voice opinions which are obviously negative characterizations and then seem to be taken aback at the predictable reactions.

I think that the real issue is that unless the goal is to try to drive everyone to conformity or to quell dissension, that it makes sense to go into the discussion with the idea of finding out why different people take different approaches and considering the reasons and rationale behind such decisions.

In the same way, providing one's own reasons and rationale for carrying/not carrying at home seems a lot more productive than making implications about those who don't carry/do carry.

I mean, we can all learn from different opinions--but that is much easier when there's an exchange of ideas an opinions as opposed to when things start out with negative characterizations of those who disagree.
Old December 8, 2020, 06:51 AM   #85
shurshot

"You need to think this through and ask yourself why you are doing what you are doing. --- Wait--why are you so defensive?" (JohnKsa)

Good sound advice for multiple applications in life, not just for communication on this forum, but on the job, relationships, etc.
Old December 8, 2020, 01:46 PM   #86
Aguila Blanca
Staff

[Moderator mode]
Labeling other participants in a discussion as trolls is a continuation of the same sort of counter-productive behavior John KSa posted about above. If you think someone us a troll, do not engage -- use the "Report post" icon.

Once again, this thread began with a simple question: "Do you carry at home?" All that is required is a simple, one-word response -- "Yes," or "No." However, people seem to want to discuss more than the basic question, and delve into not just whether or not people carry at home, but also why. Okay, we allow that. However, it makes no sense to seek out a discussion on why other people do or don't do [_____] and then attack anyone whose opinion differs from your own. We are all individuals. Each of us has his or her own, unique life history that shapes our opinions and our approaches to life. Each of us has his or her own unique level of risk analysis and willingness to accept risk.

We need to respect that. If you can't, we'll have to close this discussion.

[/Moderator mode]
Jeepaholic
Old December 8, 2020, 04:34 PM   #87
Jleonard

No, never.
Old December 8, 2020, 06:04 PM   #88
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
[Moderator mode]
Labeling other participants in a discussion as trolls is a continuation of the same sort on counter-productive behavior John KSa posted about above. If you think someone us a troll, do not engage -- use the "Report post" icon.

Once again, this thread began with a simple question: "Do you carry at home?" All that is required is a simple, one-word response -- "Yes," or "No." However, people seem to want to discuss more than the basic question, and delve into not just whether or not people carry at home, but also why. Okay, we allow that. However, it makes no sense to seek out a discussion on why other people do or don't do [_____] and then attack anyone whose opinion differs from your own. We are all individuals. Each of us has his or her own, unique life history that shapes our opinions and our approaches to life. Each of us has his or her own unique level of risk analysis and willingness to accept risk.

We need to respect that. If you can't, we'll have to close this discussion.

[/Moderator mode]
Art Eatman used to say that once a thread gets past 4 pages the signal to noise ratio goes way down. Please feel free to lock this at.
Old December 8, 2020, 06:26 PM   #89
FireForged

Quote:
However, people seem to want to discuss more than the basic question
it would make for a pretty boring discussion if we simply limited our comments to a simple yes or no. Qualifying ones decisions and opinions is the hallmark of a good discussion forum. That is so long as that qualification falls reasonably within the context of the subject matter. Yes and No is hardly fruitful discussion parameters(at least in my humble opinion). If a person seeks such a limited discussion, post a poll.
Old December 8, 2020, 07:04 PM   #90
Terrierman

I don't carry at home. I'm at the end of a significant one way in one way out private lane, I've got a pack of dogs. I'll know anyone is here before they know where they are. House and outside are well lit. Doors get locked. There are shotguns scattered about. Prefer a long gun for any purpose that might involve any kind of real need.

YMMV but that's my program.
Old December 8, 2020, 07:37 PM   #91
Mycin

Quote:
I gifted my 18yo daughter one of my Ka-Bars when she started college. It's not quite razor sharp, but it's sharp enough. It's not a dagger, but it's closer to a dagger than to a pocket knife.

She was thrilled to get it, but chose to carry her ASP baton (which I also bought her) for daily protection. I think she chose wisely, but had she chosen the Ka-Bar, I wouldn't have objected.
Old December 8, 2020, 08:11 PM   #92
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged
Quote:
However, people seem to want to discuss more than the basic question
it would make for a pretty boring discussion if we simply limited our comments to a simple yes or no. Qualifying ones decisions and opinions is the hallmark of a good discussion forum. That is so long as that qualification falls reasonably within the context of the subject matter. Yes and No is hardly fruitful discussion parameters(at least in my humble opinion). If a person seeks such a limited discussion, post a poll.
Not everyone knows how to post a poll.

Conversely, if the original poster wants a discussion rather than a simple answer, he/she can so state in the original post, such as:

"Do you prefer 'a' or 'b'? Please explain why."

Personally, I default to thinking people are adult enough to ask the question they want answered. If the question is "Do you prefer 'a' or 'b'?" then IMHO the only appropriate answer is "a" or "b". The question does not invite discussion.

I understand that's not how some folks roll, and that's why this thread was left open. However, once people start attacking those whose opinions differ from their own, it's time to call a halt.

The OP has consented to closing this discussion so ... closed.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread