The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2016, 09:48 AM   #1
mrdaputer

question on Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Case Tumbler

I was wondering how many pounds will it hold? Does anyone have one that could tell me?
Old August 29, 2016, 10:12 AM   #2
turtlehead

Max 30 lbs.
Old August 29, 2016, 10:21 AM   #3
turtlehead

It really does a good job.

I found mine on sale for $140. Look around and you'll find a good price.
Old August 29, 2016, 12:03 PM   #4
mrdaputer

cool thank you for the info. I am tired only being able to do 200 cases at a time.
Old August 29, 2016, 12:33 PM   #5
turtlehead

The drum is quite large. It's the best part of the package.

You'll want the magnet, also. Not for separating the pins from the cases but for picking up pins that go astray.
Old August 29, 2016, 12:50 PM   #6
mrdaputer

I have a magnet that works good for the pins. I like the fact that it comes with 5 lbs of pins
Old August 29, 2016, 03:31 PM   #7
alexcue

I have a similar barrel to the F.A.R.T. I've found that if you do use a small magnet, wrap it up in a plastic bag. Sandwich bag? Anyway, it helps get the loose pins that are stuck inside. Grabs the wet ones and then just pull off the bag from the magnet.

I do use the FA magnet too to transfer them, as long as you don't dip it in a tub of water, it makes life so much easier, but it doesn't fit in the barrel.
Old August 29, 2016, 07:37 PM   #8
mrdaputer

So turtlehead the 5 lbs om ss pins is enough to clean 10 lbs of brass in your opinion?
Old August 29, 2016, 08:03 PM   #9
turtlehead

It seems to be the correct amount. I've filled it 1/2 to 3/4 full with brass and it's worked great. You won't need any more pins.

I run mine for 3 hours with Dawn and a small amount of Lemishine and the cases and primer pockets come out spotless.
Old August 29, 2016, 09:11 PM   #10
mrdaputer

Code:
It seems to be the correct amount. I've filled it 1/2 to 3/4 full with brass and it's worked great. You won't need any more pins.

I run mine for 3 hours with Dawn and a small amount of Lemishine and the cases and primer pockets come out spotless.
I think Midway should give you a little kick back I just ordered one
Old August 29, 2016, 09:46 PM   #11
turtlehead

Nice.

Here's a few things I've learned:

I use a little less than 1/8 teaspoon of Lemishine. Used way too much the first time and discolored my brass to a weird orangey color. Lemishine works great in your dishwasher also.

I run mine on the carpet with a big Rubbermaid bucket over it in the next room. It sounds like the dishwasher is running. If the rim of the drum is dry when you seal it up it won't leak.

You can clean enough brass in one run to completely cover a bath towel. You can put the cases in the oven on a cookie sheet on 200 and dry them in an hour if you feel you must. I just leave them outside overnight. But I live in Phoenix and it's evil hot here.

A media separator will get almost every pin out. I haven't had one pin left in a case yet let alone a flash hole.

Run the pins by themselves the first time for a couple hours to smooth out any edges on them.

I think you'll be surprised at how well it works. No dust. No buying more media. It's just an ingenious thing.

Last edited by turtlehead; August 29, 2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old August 30, 2016, 06:54 AM   #12
mrdaputer

Thanks for the carpet and bucket tip. I use to have a HF wet tumbler. Tips I found out were using the Shell Sorter Brass Sorter. Saves a ton of time and works great on separating the pins from the brass too. I like to use armor all wash and wax "instead of dawn", and a little lemi shine. I got that tip on this forum. I feel it doesn't leave water spots and doesn't tarnish. Some say it works for lubing. I dry using a cheap food dehydrator takes about 20 minutes. I use to use the oven but more of a hassle.
Old August 30, 2016, 12:04 PM   #13
alexcue

I bought the cheap Food Dehydrator at HF. Takes me a little longer to dry them, but usually 45min to an hour with me rotating the trays about every 15 to 30 minutes. It's amazing how hot that brass gets, and so far haven't had any spotting on outside. But the whole process of wet tumbling and drying hasn't taken me over four hours, with 3 being the average.

I wish I'd heard about using the Shell Sorter (Wow, does it work great at sorting!) before. I picked up the Wet/Dry FA separator (rinses them real good), and so far no issues with pins getting stuck or left behind in the brass. I run the FA magnet over the brass a final time just to make sure a straggler isn't left behind.
Old August 30, 2016, 01:32 PM   #14
mrdaputer

Code:
I bought the cheap Food Dehydrator at HF. Takes me a little longer to dry them, but usually 45min to an hour with me rotating the trays about every 15 to 30 minutes.
The one I have has a fan on top doesn't take as long and no rotating
Old September 12, 2016, 06:37 PM   #15
mrdaputer

turtlehead I was wondering does your tumbler ever get hot or warmer than with out a Rubbermaid bucket over it? I did what you said and just ran the pins first. I have ran 2 loads of 9mm, a batch of 500 another of 1000. Man oh man does it save a lot of time.