The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 21, 2016, 01:56 AM   #1
bamaranger

turkey algebra

In jr. high, I was a good reader/speller, and a good math student. Then they combined reading and spelling in that thing they called Algebra I and II, and I never was any good in math again. In the spirit of the infamous algebra "word problem", here's one for ya!

-Bamaranger has killed his spring limit of 5 gobblers. The season opened 1April, and he shot his last bird on 19April. Solve for the following: If 'bama shot 8 times, how many turkeys did he miss? How many days did 'bama hunt?

For extra credit, how many times in the past 24 hrs has 'bama wished he let that last bird walk, so that he could hunt the last 10 days of the season?

For extra, extra credit, how many days did 'bama scout before season?
Old April 21, 2016, 04:15 AM   #2
turkeestalker

How much wishing does turkeestalker have to do to multiply his spring limit on wild turkeys harvested from two to five without moving from Missouri to Alabama?

Congratulations!
Old April 21, 2016, 04:43 AM   #3
Blindstitch

My guess is that he shot 5 times. The other 3 shots were patterning the gun.
Old April 22, 2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Mobuck

He missed 7 times and killed 5 with one shot(through the moon on the outhouse door) while they were eating from a pile of corn in the back yard.
He didn't go hunting at all but made 11 trips to the outhouse.
The only scouting he did was looking for last Tuesday's furniture store ad (to wipe with).

This is all in fun-hope you take it that way.
Old April 22, 2016, 03:01 PM   #5
NCBrass

I'm with MoBuck!
Old April 23, 2016, 10:10 AM   #6
bamaranger

for fun

Yeah, this is all for fun, and bragging rights. I've got to leave town for a period of time to see to my Momma, so I will give some details. When I get back, I will try and post pics. (Don't tell Momma I put off visiting 'till I tagged out, she don't appreciate such things!!!!)

-Bama missed 1 turkey, on the same day he killed his last one. I got surprised by two that came in silent, quick and close, and shot right over the lead bird as it popped out from behind a tree at about 20 paces. As I posted before, that darn Winchester XR "Longbeard" ammo is good, but you better be ON up close, 'cause you CAN miss with the tight patterns the load produces. (my gun anyhow). The rest of the "miss" story is that bird number two of that pair flushed out into the open and I killed it on the wing, cleanly. Not the anticipated/desired process, but it worked.

The other 3 were killed at 1 shot each, at 32, 40 and 40 paces. Those of you counting realize that my shot total is now 5. That leaves 3 shots.
The rest of that story is that all 3 of those shots, (bird #4) were hits on the same bird. After a long standoff of that bird coming into good range 3x , but obstructed by brush (no shot) then drifting away, this unlucky tom drifted laterally. With all this time eyes on the turkey, I had foolishly become comfortable with distance and underestimated it terribly. So much so that when it was over, I didn't even pace it off, it was too far and steep. And would be more ashamed if I truely knew how badly I messed up. But shoot I did, and the followup 2 shots were also hits, which ended the deal. Pure luck, that bird could well have easily escaped, crippled, and I am not proud of the process, and do NOT recomend long ranging gobblers.

-EVERY pretty morning, I wish I could hunt, but can't. Bamaboy seems busy with all things except turkey hunting, so I'm not guiding him. We've been once. With me leaving town, we will likely not get to hunt again. Bittersweet.

-I scouted more days than I hunted.........and I hunted 18. I was so darn tired on Sunday 17April, that it was a luxury sleeping in to get up for church. One of the brothers said "surprised you're here in turkey season". Guilty. Convicted. But I think God is probably a turkey hunter, so he'll understand.