The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 17, 2013, 12:47 AM   #1
NJgunowner

NJ - Christie vetoes worst of gun bills

Well, I have to say I'm shocked. I thought for sure he'd pass these, he's never been 2a friendly in the least. But he finally got it right and vetoed at least the worst offenders. The good news is that the democrats don't have enough votes to override, and accepting Christie's conditions would gut the bills. What they COULD get out of it by accepting his conditions is making internet ammo purchases tougher. Not impossible some retailers already won't ship ammo to NJ without a copy of your FID card, but there will be the retailers who don't want to bother.

I borrowed most of the bottom part from NJ2AS & members, believe me they're VERY happy and want the word out and don't mind us sharing We're all enjoying watching the local liberal media and anti-gun groups have a collective meltdown

And believe me when I say we aren't done. We have elections coming up in November and we're VERY motivated to get rid of some of the more vulnerable gun grabbers. Sweeney is at the top of our replacement list

http://www.nj2as.com/blog?mode=PostView&bmi=1368219

NJ2AS has received word that Governor Chris Christie has vetoed the three remaining firearms bills that were on his desk.

The three bills vetoed were:

A3659 - The Fifty Caliber Ban - Flat out veto

S2723 - The "Sweeney" Omnibus bill - Conditional Vetoes

A3797 - Forces state police to breach confidentiality regarding trace data - Conditional Vetoes

Conditional vetoes mean that the legislation is dead, unless the legislature reconvenes to resurrect it through amendments that meet strict conditions imposed by the Governor. Alternatively, the legislature could try to override any veto (conditional or otherwise) by a 2/3 vote of both houses.

Under Governor Christie's conditional veto, S2723 could only be resurrected if both houses of the legislature agreed to the following conditions:

- Remove all provisions that would have created a new electronic FID card (keeps the existing permitting system in place);

- Remove all provisions that would have suspended Second Amendment rights without proof of firearms training;

- Remove all provisions that would have ended firearms sales directly between background-checked licensed gun owners; and

- Add a provision requiring the State Police to develop and promulgate literature regarding safe firearms storage and ownership.

It is unknown whether Democratic legislative leadership would accept these conditions. While doing so would salvage what is left of their "centerpiece," the final bill would be a gutted version, stripped of the most blatant attacks on legal gun owners, and very likely an embarrassment to Democrats.

If Democrats decided to swallow that bitter pill, other key provisions of the Sweeney bill that would be retained would include: requiring an FID card or other permit for all ammunition purchases; limiting shipment of online ammunition purchases to the address on the FID card; making it a 4th degree crime if injury or death results from the failure to properly secure firearms; making it a 4th degree crime for someone prohibited from possessing firearms to possess ammunition; requiring mental health screeners to inquire about firearms ownership of those being considered for involuntary commitment for mental health reasons; and revocation of NJ concealed carry permits upon conviction of a crime of the 4th degree or higher.

The Governor's statement accompanying his conditional veto expressed support in principle for some of these provisions, yet also criticized the legislature as "shortsighted" for focusing on gun control instead of comprehensive violence solutions. The statement also noted the bill's failure "to directly combat violence," and the current unavailability of the technology that would be required to implement the digitized FID card.

A3797 - conditionally vetoed because of one section that required the State Police to breach confidentiality of federal gun trace data in direct violation of federal law that limits the data to law enforcement only. This was an attempt by frustrated gun banners to circumvent that federal law, so that idiosyncrasies of the ATF's trace system could be exploited and manipulated to falsely suggest that law abiding citizens are a source of "crime guns." ATF has opposed similar efforts to circumvent confidentiality, which could compromise ongoing investigations. If the legislature amends the bill to remove this illegal provision, the amended bill would then return to the Governor's desk.
Old August 17, 2013, 01:22 AM   #2
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgunowner
If Democrats decided to swallow that bitter pill, other key provisions of the Sweeney bill that would be retained would include: requiring an FID card or other permit for all ammunition purchases; limiting shipment of online ammunition purchases to the address on the FID card; making it a 4th degree crime if injury or death results from the failure to properly secure firearms; making it a 4th degree crime for someone prohibited from possessing firearms to possess ammunition; requiring mental health screeners to inquire about firearms ownership of those being considered for involuntary commitment for mental health reasons; and revocation of NJ concealed carry permits upon conviction of a crime of the 4th degree or higher.
Forgive my ignorance, but would the "crimes" highlighted above be felonies or misdemeanors? I assume, based on your last sentence, these would be felony counts, but your post doesn't give me much to go off of.

Glad Christie made the right call.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Pilot

He is all about playing both sides, like all politicians, but I applaud him for having the guts to vetoing these bills. He will be able to say he passed most of the new gun laws even though they are relatively meaningless.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
NJgunowner

4th degree crimes are felonies punishable up to 18 months in jail. I believe it's the least version of a felony we have. Doesn't matter much, the democrats will never agree to all the revisions he wants.

http://www.csclarklaw.com/faqs-about...ew-jersey.html
Old August 17, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5
peopleofthesun

You guys in NJ that pressured him did a great job. Much respect.

-Cisco
Old August 17, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Technosavant

Glad you all dodged that one.

My more cynical side says Christie is trying to set himself up as 2A friendly for a national run.
Old August 17, 2013, 04:09 PM   #7
K96771

^ That's probably true, but we'll take it. We don't get to celebrate often.
Old August 18, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Patriot86

It is true, its the only reason he would veto these bills; because the veto will NOT help him in New Jersey it only helps nationally. If this guy gets the GOP nod we are screwed no matter what happens in the next election; because the next President is almost guaranteed to have a chance at replacing 2 or 3 of those who voted with us @ the SCOTUS on the McDonald and Heller cases.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Bronxbomber252

For reference, in NJ crime = Felony, Disorderly person = misdemeanor. Just the way the NJ laws are written, they use different terminology.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

OMG - According to ex-Gov. Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania - Gov. Christie vetoed a bill to ban 50 mm rifles in N.J. which he previously supported.

Rendell noted that a 50mm rifle can shoot through Kevlar (ya think?). The news host (antigun Chris Matthews) pointed out that they should be called COP KILLERS!

OMG - I'm horrified. This is bad - once a local Sportsman's Warehouse had 40 mm Blazer on sale. But I'm not professional enough to shoot a 40 mm!

Matthews also said the gunman in the latest school incident was found with 500 lbs of ammo. He later corrected that.