The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 12, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Newton24b

foreign handguns

here is the question that has me most curious, why is it i can find small numbers of foreign made semi automatic handguns, but absolutely no foreign made revolvers anywhere, even online?
Old April 12, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

There are a few, but not many - most foreign guns have been semis since the 1920's - give or take
Old April 12, 2013, 09:24 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Korth
Armsocor

There are others. Rossi/Taurus/Braztech are all Brazillian.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
LED

I think it is because Europe has a weak civilian handgun market, strangled by regulations. Most revolvers today are privately purchased and owned by civilians.

Also in this country the revolver is a great tradition, a genuine piece of Americana. Its sentimental value and symbolism supports sales.

Edit: Just read the entry by Williamson. Those exceptions support the rule. Korth is a boutique manufacturer. Taurus/Rossi depends on the American market. Ditto the Argentinians. I doubt there is a line of European production revolvers today. But if it exists, I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited by LED; April 12, 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
SIGSHR

IMHO the Europeans quickly decided they preferred semiautos to revolvers.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:43 PM   #6
LED

SIG
True, for the governments. For the citizens, they prefer nothing. Except the Swiss.
Old April 13, 2013, 03:24 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

As foreign guns go, Ruger and S&W seem like good brands!!

Then you have Chiappa and Taurus (& Rossi), but I'm not sure I'd buy one of those...
Old April 13, 2013, 04:49 AM   #8
LED

Chiappa - because we are buying. Check!
Old April 13, 2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Chiappa - because we are buying. Check!
Your point being?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; April 13, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old April 13, 2013, 05:45 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

In addition to the offerings mentioned by johnwilliamson062, there is also Uberti/Beretta. Also a few other single-action/vintage reproduction revolver makers overseas.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:24 AM   #11
thedudeabides

Europeans are in love with the 9mm.

Don't need a revolver for that.
Old April 13, 2013, 08:44 AM   #12
jonnyc

You haven't looked well-enough. Aside from all those above, there are a slew of Russian, Swedish, Italian, German, French, Belgian, British, and Spanish revolvers available on the collector market.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #13
LED

pond:
the question was why no foreign made revolvers. What I was saying, there is no euro market to support the manufacturing. Only exporting to the US could make production sustainable, which is working for some Italians. And most of those are quality replicas of the vintage American revolvers. Of course there are many antiques still around. I was referring to the current production.
(In case of the rhino, it is a bona fide novelty, and again mostly for US consumption)
Old April 13, 2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
pond:
the question was why no foreign made revolvers.
The question was "Why can't I find any foreign revolver makers?", not "Why don't foreign companies make revolvers?". By which I take it the OP meant non-US gun makers.

The answer to that is: I don't know why the OP can't find any, since there are plenty out there as has been pointed out.

The reasons for or against the existence of non-US revolver makers was not in question, hence my confusion.
Old April 13, 2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Newton24b

ah i see the confusion. you assumed i was asking about foreign companies that make revolvers, i meant "why the crap cant i find anything except small amounts of foriegn made semi automatics in the gunstore or online?"

seriously, if i wanted to buy a handgun, id have to go with the collectors market, outside my interest and wallet. sure id love an antique revolver, but if it would cost 3-4 dolalrs a shot to make the ammo..... screw it.

everybody is advertising the foreign made revolvers, but "out of stock' makes it a worthless endeavor. at this time the only new products on actual shelves/websites is a few models of 22lr revolvers. and all single action.

if you want an american made revolver, your only choice for on the spot purchase with buds is single action, or an sw x frame in 460.

is there some big steel shortage overseas? did the us government stop the importation? did all the companies stop sending to america?

i cant even find commanche, cobra, or armscor online..
Old April 13, 2013, 06:46 PM   #16
shouldazagged

Ever checked prices on Korth revolvers? You'd have to mortgage your firstborn. And your soul. And your arse.

They're built like top-of-the-line Rolexes, I'm told, and it looks to me as if the people who could buy them do so for the same reason--prestige. I'll stick with my Smiths and my Timex Expedition. Probably would if I could afford a Korth.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:41 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

I hope a Korth is built a whole lot better than a Rolex

YOu can't fing anything now b/c there is a shortage of guns. Companies have switched what production they can to semi-auto guns that face a ban. Even defensive revolvers are selling though. Six months ago you could buy them.

Look at a used Colt police positive if you want something today. They haven't gone up in price much.
Old April 15, 2013, 10:37 PM   #18
valent

European pistol dominance is determined by military and police demands, on one side, and general level of ownership restriction in many countries on the other side. Penetrating USA market is an extremely difficult endeavor; after all, what can one offer that does not allready exist.

Besides Arminius which sells Windicator revolvers, there is a Czech line of revolvers ( http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/revolvers/ ) avilable.
They are styled very good and include 9mm option, but who would buy one without extensive reference, or a chance of testing it.
Serbian manufacturer Zastava ventured into revolvers some 20 years ago, but seized production after a while.
Newest attempt is being made by Croatian manufacturer of XD/XDM pistol line. They decided to start with top brake 9mm revolver that has some specific features. Chamber drum moves forward towards barrel in order to seal escaping gases and shell ejection is actuated by folding of the revolver.
They are planing on exporting to USA based on success of XD line.
Here are some photos.

http://s265.photobucket.com/user/val.../XD%20Revolver
Old April 16, 2013, 08:52 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
after all, what can one offer that does not allready exist.
A budget 9mm revolver from a company other than Taurus. You know, one of those foreign companies with a reputation for offering simple reliable firearms at a price point proportionally equivalent to a hi-point.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:55 AM   #20
valent

Quote:
after all, what can one offer that does not allready exist.
That was a rethorical question.
Afordable pricing seems to be the way to enter market. It remains to be seen in the case of the XD revolver. Wondering about firearms pricing, I have made a comparison between cars and handguns. Pound for pound, one average midpriced gun is 10 times more expensive than a high tech hybrid car like Toyota Prius. Somehow, I don't think production prices compare in the same ratio.