The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 6, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1
HarrySchell

CO AWB and other new anti-self-defense laws

Gun owner insurance, magazine limits, concealed carry limits (gun-free zones), etc.

The same proposals seem to pop up again and again.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz2K8e8Ytl4
Old February 6, 2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Isn't the definition of insanity repeating something over and over again thinking youll get different results?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 6, 2013, 06:50 PM   #3
HarrySchell

Quote:
Isn't the definition of insanity repeating something over and over again thinking youll get different results?
I thought so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delusions.jpg (38.9 KB, 61 views)
Old February 6, 2013, 07:02 PM   #4
UtahHunting

I especially like the part about banning concealed firearms on college campuses. They don't really think this will prevent criminal from bringing a firearm to campus.....or do they? They can't possibly be this stupid.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

You're not allowed to hide your gun, because if we find you... youll get in trouble.

Even though the criminals that will hide firearms on college campuses and get caught will obviously shoot the people that make them turn them over, nullifying the entire practice.

It's inane.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Geoff7

Sadly, it appears these are going to become law...

Below are summaries of the four gun control laws that passed the Colorado House yesterday. The Colorado Senate chamber is controlled 20-16 by Democrats, so this is expected to pass easily and our Governor has indicated he'll sign three of the four and is considering the fourth (that being no CCW on college campuses). This was from an NRA press release, so any commentary in the list is theirs (I changed their language to reflect amendments made to the law after the NRA released their summary, specifically the magazine ban was changed from 10 to 15 and the shotgun ban was changed from 5 rounds to 8):
  • House Bill 1224: Would ban the sale, transfer or possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition, or a shotgun capable of holding more than 8 rounds. Those who currently own magazines that hold more than 15 rounds would be able to keep them in their possession, but would be unable to sell or transfer them! Furthermore, any magazine larger than 15 rounds that is manufactured in Colorado on or after the effective date of HB 1224 must include a serial number and date of assembly. Not only will this increase the cost of magazines, it could force law-abiding citizens who currently possess unmarked magazines larger than 15 rounds to produce evidence that they possessed the magazines before the ban was enacted.
  • House Bill 1226: Would overturn the state Supreme Court ruling that decisively concluded that individuals who obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit cannot be denied their right to carry a firearm for self-defense on college campuses. This bill will only create more failed “gun-free zones” that are so often the target of criminals and madmen.
  • House Bill 1228: Would saddle law-abiding gun owners by imposing an undetermined fee (gun tax) for undergoing a background check through the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) InstaCheck system. The CBI InstaCheck program is failing in its duties and cannot process or handle the volume of checks seen in the last few months. Recently, the Colorado Legislature denied a $500,000 request from CBI to expedite the backlog of checks. Instead, HB 1228 would punish gun owners by forcing them to pay for a defunct program that blatantly impedes their constitutional right.
  • House Bill 1229: Would criminalize the private transfer of all firearms, even between certain family members! Under HB 1229, you will be forced to undergo a criminal investigation if you wish to purchase a firearm from certain family members, friends and co-workers. This system can only be enforced with gun registration. And, as we know from experiences in California, Canada and Australia, gun registration enables gun confiscation—only from honest citizens—since criminals are not subject to registration or submit to criminal investigations.

This is so disheartening, especially in what used to be a pretty pro-gun state like Colorado. Magpul has threatened to move their HQ out of Colorado, possibly to Texas, should their primary product become outlawed in their home state. The legislators didn't care how many jobs they would cost the state, nor how they punish law-abiding gun owners.

The effective date for these laws will be July 1, 2013, unless they've amended that too and I haven't seen it yet.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:06 PM   #7
iraiam

The latest article says Magpul is looking into Wyoming and Montana for a move out of Colorado. They also stated that they would leave if the bill passed in any form. I don't blame them.

I am a Colorado native, but this state is becoming too liberal and anti-gun for me in recent years. I can't say for sure I'm leaving just yet but I am thinking about it more and more, and looking for opportuities.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 16, 2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I am puzzled by everything going on in CO right now, as I would have expected CO to be more gun-friendly than all of this.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Geoff7

Sorry, I hadn't seen that Magpul had actually specified alternate locations (the article I read was simply speculating on Texas, I now realize). I whole heartedly agree with Magpul's stance on leaving.

There are a great many things I love about living in Colorado, but the changing political climate sure isn't one of them.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:19 PM   #10
iraiam

Quote:
I am puzzled by everything going on in CO right now, as I would have expected CO to be more gun-friendly than all of this.
Me too, they are facing overwhelming opposition to these bills, and completely ignoring it. Representatives have paid with their jobs in the past for supporting anti-gun bills here in CO, we'll see about this round in 2014.

I understand that there will be a roll call vote on HB1224 Monday, I believe it passed a voice vote but a full roll call vote was forced. I did my part, I contacted all my reps, again, and did my best to disuade them from supporting it.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 16, 2013, 07:19 PM   #11
MLeake

So Denver and Boulder are becoming the Chicago and Madison of Colorado politics?
Old February 16, 2013, 11:09 PM   #12
SVO

In the late '70's, there were native Coloradoians that were concerned about the influx of people from out of state moving in and changing the status quo. I remember seeing bumper stickers reading "Don't Californicate Colorado". Guess they did have reasons to be concerned.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:00 AM   #13
Dr Big Bird PhD

Californicating is not just going on in Colorado.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:14 AM   #14
Hiker 1

Me too, they are facing overwhelming opposition to these bills, and completely ignoring it.

That's exactly it. They're taking their cues from DC.