The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 15, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Jcordle

black rain

who has heard of the black rain ar-15? and are they any good?
Old October 15, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Technosavant

I saw the "Silver Skulls" one at my LGS a couple weeks ago.

It looked about as gimmicky as one can look. Sure, looked cool, but if you want an actual rifle for shooting you can get a very good AR-15 with a real-deal EOTech or Aimpoint, plenty of magazines and spare parts, and even a case of ammo for the same price or less. I didn't even bother to look over the specs. Even if all the parts are high quality it's STILL over a thousand dollars more than one that is every bit the rifle but without the wild paint job, funky barrel with the rifling on the outside, and muzzle device that will tear holes in your rifle bag.

So I gotta say, I personally don't see the point but to each his own.
Old October 15, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
hermanpj

awesome

I have a black rain upper and lower in black oxide finish (whatever BRO calls their matte black finish). they are billet aluminum, and works of art. you can choose between two uppers in the AR15 platform, type 1 and 2. Typer 1 is more sharply angular. For example the deflector is sharper. I went with type 2. I am really pleased with how my rifle turned out, it shoots very well. I think the billet pieces are a litte heavier than forged or stamped pieces, but they just feel tough as hell. Full specs are below if your interested. BRO does sell fully built rifes, but I wanted to build a piston driven rifle, so i bought it as components. let me know any questions :-)

on the muzzle device tearing holes in your rifle bag: yeah it sure will. so you put an empty prescription pill bottle over it (the generic orange see through plastic kind) before putting your rifle in the bag. the reason its sharp is that its designed to be very unpleasant should anyone attempt to grab the muzzle.

-------------
16.5 inch 5.56MM barrel w 1/9 twist barrel by Adams Arms, w an Adams Arms piston system. Midwest Industries front handguard on delta ring (CQB - no point in free floating). I put a Black Rain flash suppressor on the end. Timney trigger, Magpul BAD lever, Adams Arms BCG, VLTOR BCM Gunfighter charging handle, YHM Back Up Iron sights front and rear, Eotech XPS2-2 (w bullet drop comp), Sightmark 3x Magnifier on a Sun Optics flip to side mount. Hogue pistol grip with battery tray, Magpul collapsible stock, Leapers UTG rubber quad rail covers, UTG bipod, UTG flashlight-front vertical handgrip. PMAG 30s. Blackhawk sling w QD front and MASH rear connection.
NRA Member|Texas State Rifle Association Member| Texas Concealed Handgun License holder|Springfield M1A Loaded|Kimber Super Carry Pro .45 ACP|Weatherby SA 459 12 ga|Black Rain+Adams Arms Piston AR15|Beretta 92FS| CZ Dan Wesson ECO 9MM| Ruger 10/22
Old October 15, 2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Technosavant

Quote:
the reason its sharp is that its designed to be very unpleasant should anyone attempt to grab the muzzle.
I know about the whole "pain compliance" thing... there's plenty of compensators and flash suppressor that do that. The one I saw was just over the top in every way; just like the rest of the rifle (well done, just turned all the way up to 11 and then some). Although I will say that if somebody is going to go grabbing the muzzle of my rifle, the bullets coming out of it are likely going to be a far larger threat than any pointiness of the flash suppressor.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:01 PM   #5
hermanpj

Yeah i hear i on that. I have a BRO supressor but could not stand the look of their fluted barrels or their skulls patterns. Thats another reason i built my rifle so i could select each component. W a normal blax oxided barrel the black BRO suppressor looks pretty cool IMO. To each their own though. :-)
NRA Member|Texas State Rifle Association Member| Texas Concealed Handgun License holder|Springfield M1A Loaded|Kimber Super Carry Pro .45 ACP|Weatherby SA 459 12 ga|Black Rain+Adams Arms Piston AR15|Beretta 92FS| CZ Dan Wesson ECO 9MM| Ruger 10/22
Old October 15, 2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Achilles11B

Is 1/9 the standard rate of twist with BRO?
Old October 15, 2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Ridge_Runner_5

1/9 will push 55gr and 62gr ammo accurately just fine. If you go with heavier stuff, you want a 1/7 twist, though.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Achilles11B

Right, but that's kind of why I was asking. I wouldn't want to pay $2K+ for a rifle that limits my bullet weight. Sure, a new barrel would be a quick fix, but it's the principle.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:07 PM   #9
hermanpj

yep i selected 1 in 9 specifically because I reload 55 gr to 62 grain pretty much exclusively. for heavier stuff I switch over to .308 :-)

so w respect to BRO barrels, i do not know what comes on their typical gun you get in a store. their website lists a number of barrels in different lengths, profiles, w no flutes, or w flutes, different twist rates, and different calibers.

your best bet if you want a BRO gun is to buy the upper and lower at Cheaper Than Dirt, and then select a barrell with exact metal composition, chambering, length, twist rate, etc that you want.

the gun I spec'ed above, w the Timney trigger and all the bells and whistles I put on it was $2100 before the eotech and the sunoptics magnifier. w the optics and some PMAGs it came to $2900.

looking over my build list, you could do a basic BRO rifle for less than $1200 DI, or about $1400 for piston.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Jcordle

Thank you for your replys. I happened to see one at my lgs. Couldn't find anything
About the co. on here! I figured for that much $ someone had to know about them!