The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2011, 04:00 PM   #1
mcwop

Stoeger Double Defense Review - and possible double fire ?

Recently someone attempted to break into my house while I was home. Researched shotguns and decided to go with the Stoeger Double Defense. Reasons why I chose it are:
  • Like the short length
  • SxS is really simple to use, and I just feel comfortable with the SxS as a novice
  • Can mount a flashlight and/or pistol grip (no need for the top rail IMO)
  • I like the "tactical" finish because it provides a nice grip - simply flat paint on wood
  • Easy to disassemble
  • Reasonable price
  • Green fiber optic sight made it easy to aim in low light
  • Each barrel features eight ports to reduce muzzle rise, making that second shot extremely rapid - this proved out in shooting it.

So I took it to the range with friends, and this is the first shotgun I have fired. Studied up on stance etc... beforehand.

I found the gun very easy to load, disengage the safety, then fire each chamber using 9 pellet, 2 3/4 00 buck shot at a silhouette target . The gun feels on the heavier side, but this seemed to make the gun jump less - felt well balanced. At 25 feet very easy to hit the target at center. Went as far as 60 feet, and hit the target consistently with 4-5 of the 9 pellets.

I do not have a lot to compare it to being new to this, but overall this gun was very manageable for me, and a friends 16 year old daughter.

Now, there was one issue, and I have found some evidence of it around the net with the single trigger Stoegers. We think we had a double barrel fire with one pull of the trigger, which I understand should NOT happen. That happened once, and we went through a total of 50 rounds. I guess I will contact Stoeger this week and have them advise on the double fire. I will post back here once I find out more. EDIT - It is possible that this was a double trigger pull too - I was not the one firing so tough to say.

Last edited by mcwop; February 6, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Creek Henry

I just got my first SxS but I've been using a O/U for many years. For a home defense gun, I think I'd choose the Stoeger over most other shotguns. I'd prefer a tang mounted cocking lever like Merkel double rifles have so it could be stored loaded and uncocked, but I'm sure that would add mucho expense to it. The ease of use of a double is great under pressure and I'm just used to it while in the field.

BTW, a friend of a friend of mine had a pistol grip, short barrelled pump for home defense. Basically, it tended to be a single shot affair as he was said to have almost always short stroked it and jammed the gun when practicing with it. Also, he tended to roll the gun counter clockwise when racking it so the spend shell tended to fall back into the action and jam... so he said. I think he was just a mook with NO business owning a gun, but at least he'd be able to shoot both of his feet with a double
Old February 6, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Creek Henry

btw...

Old February 7, 2011, 12:22 AM   #4
kozak6

Porting is of dubious utility for shotguns in general, and particularly on defense shotguns that may be fired without hearing protection.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:02 PM   #5
jaughtman

While I am a huge fan of doubles....

and think that thing is pretty cool, I can't escape the idea that you can get two base-model Mossbergs with far more capacity for the price of it for home defense.

J
Old March 6, 2011, 07:49 PM   #6
mcwop

Update: been shooting it since and so far so good.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good. Keep us posted, please.....
Old March 8, 2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Balog

Quote:
Porting is of dubious utility for shotguns in general, and particularly on defense shotguns that may be fired without hearing protection.
Isn't the famous Vang Comp system that's so highly regarded around here just a type of porting?
Old March 8, 2011, 01:30 PM   #9
k511

vang comp is more than just porting, they lengthen the forcing cone, backbore the barrel, and adding ports. they do top notch work, had them do my 1187, they did full modification with 10ga backbore, hopped up spring, and ghost ring sights... I welcome any intruder to try their luck

Tags
defense , double , shotgun , stoeger , sxs