The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 28, 2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Oldfalguy

Lead removal

I have been scrubbing and wiping the barrel of my original remington and it seems there must still be plenty more to remove-
What are ya'll using? I was using carbon 2000 from the Slip people

Mark
Old September 28, 2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Hawg

How long are you letting it soak? Your barrel must be pretty well pitted to even be getting leaded.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:03 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Mark have you tried a Lewis lead remover? Basically a very fine mesh steel screen you pull through the barrel.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Oldfalguy

I might not be letting it soak for very long- perhaps 3-5 minutes then I hit it with 10 strokes from a SS tornado brush- something I have never done before except rarely on a shotgun to remove bits of plastic from the wads.

Yes it has some pitting but after the first 10 trys the rifling sure is showing up better. I mean its 145 years old and don't expect it to be pristine just want it clean.

If I can find some Lewis I will give it a whirl.
I have the carbon Cutter, Hoppes and Sweets but its mainly for copper removal and most of all I do not want to do any harm to the remaining blue finish.
Old September 28, 2009, 12:50 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

I have heard that letting Kano Kroil soak into the barrel will lift the lead right out. I'm going to order some and try it out.

I also have used a "Lead Free" cloth. It is a cloth impregnated with a thick yellow paste. I use it mostly to clean carbon blacking from stainless steel revolver cylinder faces. It will remove blue finish if applied. I have used it to remove lead from a couple of old timer bores. It works very fast and well. Just keep it away from the blued exterior, and clean out thoroughly with bore cleaner/CLP.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 28, 2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Noz

There should be no lead in the barrel of a black powder pistol unless it has been shot with smokeless powder. You should try the tried and true hot water and soap. Get the water very hot, add a little soap and put the gun, minus the wood, in the hot water. Let her sit for a while and then attack the fouling.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:15 PM   #7
PaultheWall

Blue Wonder

Try Blue Wonder -- works great. Here's a link:

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunCleaner.html

http://www.oxhilltours.com
Old September 28, 2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Smokin_Gun

What Nos Said +1
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old September 29, 2009, 07:38 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:
the barrel of my original remington
After a one hundred and fifty years it may have just a touch of lead. God only knows what has gone down that barrel.

Try letting it soak longer. When I'm using Hoppe's on my high powers for copper build up I let it soak for an hour or so.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:04 AM   #10
freedom475

I use a heavy patch..denim etc, and a dowel.. use a mallet to drive as tight as a patch as possible down the barrel...this will remove lead quite well.

You can get leading with about anything at any velocity... rubbing a lead ball on anything, at any speed..you will see that a mark, from lead left behind, will be made... I would think that 150 year old lead would be mosly oxsidized by now??

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old September 29, 2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Noz

I worry about using a stainless turbo brush on that barrel. The old metals were a lot softer than current. You could damage the barrel with that brush.
Old September 29, 2009, 07:06 PM   #12
robhof

robhof

I have the Lewis and the screens are bronze. Don't use steel on any rifled barrel and I wouldn't even use it on a shotgun.