The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 24, 2008, 02:34 PM   #1
dirtygrunt95

Rebarreling A S&W Mdl 10-5

I have a S&W Mdl 10 as stated. It has a 2in barrel and would like to see about putting a 3in on it. It belonged to my father so it'll neverbe sold, any advice as to where I could purchase the 3in barrel for it? All advice is appreciated
Old May 25, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2
HammerBite

If it were me, I would leave the original barrel.

Unless you have the correct specialized tools for unscrewing/screwing barrels you will probably bend the frame. Once bent, the frame will be junk.

Then, the shoulder of the new barrel must be turned back just the right amount so that the front sight will be at 12 o'clock after the barrel is torqued into the frame. The amount of torque must be somewhere near to correct.

Then, the barrel extension inside the frame must be faced off to provide a correct cylinder gap.

Then, the forcing cone must be recut.

Then, if you are lucky, the underlug on the new barrel might mate correctly with the ejector rod; or it might not if you are unlucky.

Rebarreling a revolver is not a simple task.
Old May 26, 2008, 07:28 AM   #3
dirtygrunt95

I should have been more specific. I don't plan on doing the work my self, just looking for a place to buy the barrel and then take it to a gunsmith
Old May 26, 2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Tom2

Probably should deal with Smith and Wesson themselves. I bet they can quote you a price to put on a barrel from stock, or have the info on their website. There are gunsmiths that claim to be Smith smiths() but the factory warranty and work should be the best. Otherwise Numrich might have a barrel like you want. Then find a gunsmith that is competant with that sort of work. Remember it may need fitting at the breech end and the forcing cone trimmed for best accuracy and minimum gap. Not a drop in like some auto pistol barrels.
Old May 26, 2008, 10:38 AM   #5
HammerBite

It might be a good idea to see a gunsmith first. The M 10 has been around for a long time and engineering changes may have resulted in different barrel thread pitches and profiles. It would be a pain to buy a barrel and later find out that it is incompatible with the frame.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
dirtygrunt95

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of sending it to S&W first but just wanted to do some spitballing of ideas.
Old May 26, 2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

S&W will be very competitive on price, and NO ONE knows more about it then they do.

They have all the special tools and have Master pistolsmiths that know how to use them.
Plus, if there are any problems, S&W stands behind their work with no BS.

They probably have new barrels, which eliminates the chances of buying a defective barrel online or at a gun show.
A great many online and gun show barrels are defective, (which is why they're being sold) and you often can't spot the problem until you try to install it.

Turnaround will also probably be faster with S&W.
Old May 26, 2008, 07:12 PM   #8
Tom2

I am sure that you can ask for your old barrel back no problem, either to keep with the gun or sell. If you like to change barrels very much though, look into a DAN Wesson, instead of Smith and.
Old June 2, 2008, 09:48 PM   #9
publius

Does anyone know about threads on the M10 and 19 barrels? Which frames have the same pitch and is there anyway to tell by barrel length?