The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2002, 12:58 AM   #1
edamon2k

so i went to the range tonight and ended up renting a beretta 92 ->

it was 92F, not sure what sub-model, had grooved aftermarket rubberized grips (looked like hogue maybe?) and iron sights.

Anyhow, i normally shoot a sig p226, but have been looking to pick something else up.

Fit - next to the sig this gun fits my hand best. Very comfotable and natural,

Quality - who knows, looked good enough, lol.

Shooting -

I was pretty accurate with this gun, groupings very similar to my sig, however the one slightly annoying thing, was the trigger slack in SA. I swear the slack has to be about 2X the distance of my sig. This took some getting used to. Be curious if they have an aftermarket kit to shorten that.

All in all, this is my next gun for sure. However, I did see that gunfinder has stainless steel taurus 92's on sale for $352. Thats damn cheap, about $150 cheaper then locally. However, it's rumored that the triggers are suspect?

Also rented an AR-15 for the first time (usually it's out getting fixed) - they stick you in lane one which is falling apart and you can only shoot center target (.223 is the largest caliber allowed at the range). Was a colt target match I believe. Very cool gun. Too bad I'll never own one living in CA.

-d
Old September 4, 2002, 11:51 AM   #2
Drjones

Heh. Great guns, eh? I love Berettas so much, I just got my second one!!!

Wish I could have an AR-15 too... maybe someday...

Good luck!
Drjones
Old September 4, 2002, 01:35 PM   #3
branrot

Beretta 92 was my first gun. Excellent gun. Only complaint is that it is big. However, if you don't plan on carrying it, no problem. Very accurate, easy to get pre-ban hi caps at reasonable prices (though not sure about where you're located), has lots of accessories and holsters available, and is incredibly reliable (in my opinion, the most reliable semi-auto). I prefer the Beretta over the Taurus (the few Tauri I've shot had quality problems, but that was years ago and I've heard they've gotten much better since).

BTW, I've also got an AR-15, and it is an awesome gun!!!
Old September 4, 2002, 04:13 PM   #4
9mmepiphany

i'm also a big fan of the beretta. as a matter of fact i carry it both on and off duty...not all the time, my other guns get jealous.

in the right holster the beretta 92/96 isn't too hard to carry. for casual carry, i'm using a fobus paddle holster under a light shirt/jacket. for something more serious, i'm using an alessi ACP...i only carry OWB due to back problems. i find it easier to conceal then my sig 226, but a bit harder than a 220.

i think the sig fits my hand better too, but the beretta has proven more reliable.
Old September 4, 2002, 09:51 PM   #5
jcrim007

i second everyone's opinion!
perfect gun for everything, except concealed carry. can't go wrong with the beretta 92

good luck!
Old September 5, 2002, 01:16 AM   #6
Drjones

Quote:
perfect gun for everything, except concealed carry
May I ask why?