The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 07:01 PM   #26
Ozzieman

Ruger Redhawk the best double action 44 mag?
I’m curious about what aspects make it the best 44 mag.
It’s a very strong gun but being investment cast rather than forged the size of the frame does not mean as much increase in strength as some think MIO.
The trigger on the Ruger is nowhere near a S&W. Also the weight gives the S&W an edge.
With that said if I was going to spend its life shooting full magnums I also would buy the Ruger. If I was going to hunt, same way. If I was going to carry a 44 then I would get the S&W.
I also disagree about the shorter barrel. It may not be a long range gun but inside of 15 yards it’s got a lot going for it.
If you’re going to use the 44 for range only then I would go with the super Blackhawk. That, is the tank of revolvers.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:32 PM   #27
WIN1886

I sure don't think getting a 4" barreled 44 magnum is such a bad idea....a 4" N frame Smith & Wesson would be a very nice field carry gun ! Putting 44 special rounds through it for fun target practice and even home defense loads...yet , having the ability to stoke it with 44 magnum loads for a side arm on hunting trips ! Sounds good to me !
Old January 29, 2013, 07:55 PM   #28
Blue Duck

I like the Ruger Blackhawk with a 4-5/8" barrel for heavy loads. But if I could only have one short 44 mag then I think I would choose my 4 inch blued model 29, with the standard grip.

I do have a .44 mag Model 29 mountain gun, and it's a great carry piece but I don't enjoy shooting it much with full loads. I guess it fine with full loads for an emergency, but the gun serves far better as a 44 special or a loaded down 44 mag. That is where it shines.

The Redhawk is a heck of a gun, but didn't quite work for me, and it's heavier then I want to carry.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:55 PM   #29
cw308

I had a S&W 29 4" it was a hand full with full loads, Like a flame thrower. OK for a back up when hunting, but fun to shoot thats not for me. I do like my 44 Mag. 29 with the 8 3/8" brl. I have it scoped, it's a joy to shoot. First time shooting the 4" at a indoor range, a feller entered the room asked me what are you firing. told him a 44Mag , can take a shot. I told him sure, need to wear ear protection, he insisted I don't need to. Well I loaded one round into the next cylinder, he squeezed one round off looked at me with this strange look in his face, thanked me & left. Some people have to learn the hard way.That 4"er was a beast.

Last edited by cw308; January 30, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:08 PM   #30
sandbag

Ruger Vaquero

A Ruger Vaquero(not the New Vaquero) was made in 44 Magnum-I have one with Ivorite grips and it's an OK single action revolver and didn't cost me much
Old January 31, 2013, 01:00 AM   #31
Hook686

I have two .44 magnum revolvers I do not hesitate to recommend:

-S&W 6-1/2" Power Ported 629 Classic ... it is great for hunting and shooting maximum loaded heavy .44 magnum rounds.

-S&W 329PD 4" light weight .44 magnum that will rock your boat to shoot with .44 magnum loads, but is great with .44 Special, such as Buffalo Bore Heavy 185 grain Gold Dots. I find this the perfect field gun for me to carry in the outback, whether hiking, or fishing.

A Redhawk, even 4", has never struck me as a revolver I'd enjoy carrying around ... too heavy for carry and too much recoil with heavy hunting loads in .44 magnum.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:04 AM   #32
Ambishot

Another vote for the Redhawk, though for one with at least a 5.5" barrel.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:24 AM   #33
codefour

I have never understood why people post the Redhawk is too heavy?

A four inch Model 629 weighs 42 ozs. The snubby 629 weighs 40 ozs. The four inch redhawk weighs 47 ounces. Is 5-7 ounces going to make that much difference..? Especially when you consider the Redhawk is stronger, handles ALL heavy loads, and has a reputation for Timex/John Deere reliabilty?

Yes, there is the 329, but I would not expect it to hold up to any sustained full house loads.

Do yuou want an anvil or a prom queen? My Rugers always just work and they do it accurately no matter what you shove in the cylinder nor for how long.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:37 AM   #34
Sarge

I've owned, reloaded for and hunted with both the 4" Model 29 and the 5 1/2" Redhawk. They were about equally accurate. I beat the poor old S&W silly with heavy loads, to the point that it had to be rebuilt once and was getting loose again when I traded it.

The 45 Colt is my bigbore cartridge these days but if I wanted a 4" heavy D/A sixgun, I would definitely buy a Redhawk. The 4" barrel is no handicap at all.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:40 AM   #35
skidder

codefour-- Agree. This extra weight is also attributed to the longer cylinder. More 300 gr+ options for hiking and hunting.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 31, 2013, 02:19 AM   #36
dalegribble

i have two 44 mag revolvers and i like both very much. my first 44 mag was a ruger redhawk stainless with a 7 1/2" barrel. it is a great gun with factory wooden grips and good factory sights. i have shot it out to 100 yards with very good accuracy but it can be a handfull if you shoot a bunch of rounds.

my second 44 mag is a blued taurus model 44 with a 4" barrel. the taurus quickly became my go to 44 mag. the 4" barrel is as accurate as the 7 1/2" ruger at the ranges I shoot and it has very nice factory sights as well. the taurus has a factory rubber grip and a factory ported barrel also make it much much more pleasant to shoot for longer periods of time. the 4" barrel also makes it much more pleasant to carry for long distances and long periods of time which makes it an ideal trail gun for me.

when i shoot my redhawk the recoil makes the gun rise in an arc making it slower to bring the gun back in position for a second shot. when i shoot the taurus the recoil brings the gun straight back making a second shot faster. i attribute this to the factory ported barrel. the taurus is also much more pleasant to shoot allowing for longer range sessions.

i would like to scope the ruger someday for more dedicated target work and hunting. i would like to take the scoped ruger hunting along with the 4" taurus for both longer shots with the scoped ruger and if i got a closer shot i would use the 4" taurus. carrying both handguns would be easier than carrying a rifle keeping my hands free for glassing or other stuff. i think it would be fun.

i would like to add a ruger blackhawk to the collection someday just to match it with my winchester 94 in 44 mag.

if you are looking for your first 44 mag for general purpose shooting i would recomend the 4" barrel in whatever brand you prefer. my 4" taurus is a very good gun, you might like to check one out but buy whatever brand you like.

Last edited by dalegribble; January 31, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:08 AM   #37
bird_dog

For bear-carry, I've had the 4 inch 629, and currently have the 4 inch 5 shot Taurus Tracker. The Tracker is a bit easier to carry and a lot more accurate than the 629 was. Yes, the 629 was a little more solidly built.

For hunting guns, I have the Super Redhawk and Taurus M44. Both with red-dot scopes, and both accurate. The Taurus has killed a pile of deer for me and has been through mud, ice, rain and snow for years and years, and keeps on ticking. The Super Redhawk has had less field time but is built like a tank -- and looks really cool, too, which is definitely a factor...It's also highly accurate.

I had the Super Blackhawk for a short time, but couldn't bond with the grip shape and never found it very comfortable in my hand, unlike the double action revolvers. It too, however, was a superb, accurate handgun.

Good luck!

The Taurus M44, and its best buck to date....

Old February 1, 2013, 09:59 PM   #38
Ozzieman

I have never understood why people post the Red hawk is too heavy?
Take a 29 and a Red with the same length barrel and put them in your hand. The Ruger has more weight toward the muzzle giving it a heavier feel. But I was surprised at the minimal difference in weight. I prefer the balance of an S&W over the Ruger.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:45 PM   #39
Edward429451

Count me in the longer than 4" crowd. My dad had a 4" 29 and I shot it a lot. A 5.5" RH and a 7.5" RH were much more pleasant to shoot and load for. My 7.5" RH easily gives me max load velocities with starting loads of powder. The longer barrels really shine in 44 Mag.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:12 AM   #40
Sarge

I favor short barrels but I lived with a 5 1/2" Redhawk long enough to know that barrel length is in perfect proportion to the rest of the gun.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...MO/RHstags.jpg
Old February 2, 2013, 12:16 AM   #41
highpower3006

What is it with the latest fascination for really short barreled large caliber revolvers??? I think that any .44 Mag revolver with a barrel under 4" just loses velocity without being that much lighter or easier to carry. After all, they tend to be BIG guns.

I have found that a 4" .barrel to be about the right size for woods carry although in reality a 6" carries about the same. Remember, I am talking about carrying it in a hip holster. If the weather is warm and I am not wearing a coat, I prefer to use a shoulder rig.

If I am just hiking, I always take the 29

For hunting I usually bring the 629-4 Classic DX. This gun is crazy accurate.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:49 AM   #42
Ozzieman

Yes barrel length does affect energy but what energy remains is still quite large. The following gives ballistic for calibers. Note that a 45 ACP which is considered having good stopping power, its muzzle energy is for a 230 GR bullet @900 fps 440 FT/lb, Note this was a quick calculation so it might be off a little.
44 MAG Using the test barrel and the same ammo for each test. Link below
12 inch: 1541 fps 1100 FT/lb
8 inch: 1433 fps 975 FT/lb
4 inch: 1150 fps 704 FT/lb
3 inch: 1015 fps 485 FT/lb
A 3 inch might be a little less than half the power as a 12 inch 44 mag but the 3 inch is still above the 45ACP.’
The big advantage of the 44 mag is that you can shoot specials which can still meet ACP levels and if you miss you can scare the you know what out of the bad guy with the flash and noise.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:11 PM   #43
Ozzieman

I believe I have the best solution to the barrel length issue.
Get one of each.

Granted there not all Mag's

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:38 PM   #44
budd

The 44 Mag Pistol

I have several 44 Mag pistols (5 to be exact) The one I shoot the most and if Maryland ever enact a CCW law the one I would choose to carry would be my Taurus Tracker 44four inch barrel with ports. It is light and not bulkey and has a good sights and points well and I find it is accurate. By any standard a good pistol. When I go to my Uncle's farm in West Virginia, no matter what rifle I hunt with my Taurus Tracker is on my hip.

V/R
J.Budd
Old February 2, 2013, 07:16 PM   #45
Lost Sheep

Well I WAS going to say "Get a longer barrel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgoosell
Which .44 magnum revolver
In the market for a 44 magnum revolver 4" or less for the barrel. What do you guys recommend??

A co worker of mine has a taurus 4" 44 mag i think its a tracker. Ive shot about 100 rounds with it. So my question to you is why is a 4" 44 mag a bad choice for a shooting gun?
I WAS going to recommend a longer barrel, but that suggestion has been beat to death (except for the advantage of having a longer sight radius). I have .357 Magnums in 4", 6" and 8" and the 6" and 8" shoot much more accurately (in aimed fire) than the 4" solely because of the sight radius.

The 4" DOES have the advantage of being able to be carried more comfortably and, if desired, concealed.

Post #19 (Bob Wright) is right on and Ozzieman's post #42 has the added benefit of the link to the web site I was going to cite.

The Redhawk vs the Super Redhawk though has not been mentioned. While the Super LOOKS larger, it really isn't all that much.

The Redhawk has a single-spring system where the Super Redhawk has separate springs for the trigger return and the mainspring (the same as the GP-100). The Super also can use the same grips as the GP-100.

The Redhawk has a full grip frame and smaller grips. The Super Redhawk has a post (enabling grip makers more latitude in grip shape) and comes with larger, softer grips which mitigates the recoil.

Your friend's Taurus probably has the ribbed, super-soft grips that cushion the recoil. A 4" Redhawk with standard wood (not the target grips or aftermarket rubber grips) grips will make you intimate with the 44 Magnum recoil. Some people like it. Some don't.

Lost Sheep
Old February 2, 2013, 08:58 PM   #46
Sarge

Why not have the best of both worlds?
Old February 2, 2013, 09:56 PM   #47
Gdawgs

This is what you need.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=327676777

You don't see the Dan Wesson Pistol Packs in 44 very often. This is a sweet set! Someday I'd love to have one like this.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:52 AM   #48
Thespis

As a reasonable alternative, I'd recommend at least considering the Super Blackhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #49
spacecoast

highpower3006 -

I really like your gun, I have exactly the same model and you're right, it's crazy accurate (and beautiful as well).

Old February 3, 2013, 12:55 PM   #50
buddah4snow

I had what I assume was the forerunner of the 629 "back in the day"....as in before kids (i.e. early 70's).....in other words it was a 4" 29 in nickel finish....shot several thousand rounds through it up to and including Super Vel (the Buffalo Bore of it's day) without any issues or loss of accuracy at all....good luck with your decision.