The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 16, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1
SonOfLiberty

MA Governor following NY's Lead

It would seem that we have an epidemic on our hands. Governor Deval Patrick has laid out his plans for gun control in Massachusetts. It includes 7 round mag limits, the ability to release/disclose private gun owner info, illegal toys, one gun limit (or magazine) per month, and much more ambiguity... ala New York.

I fear that the anti-gun legislature may not have much trouble passing this here either. Please write, call, rally, and protest as often as you can. Now is not the time to wait silently while more of our rights are taken away.

Read the full text here:
http://www.mass.gov/governor/legisla...arms-laws.html
Old January 17, 2013, 09:04 AM   #2
win-lose

Funny thing is.... I moved from NY to MA (business reasons). Looks like another move may be in my family's future.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Dragline45

I just got the e-mail from my gun shop. This is getting way out of hand and I am disgusted. Looks like ill be moving a couple hours north to Maine or New Hampshire.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLiberty
It would seem that we have an epidemic on our hands. Governor Deval Patrick has laid out his plans for gun control in Massachusetts. It includes 7 round mag limits, the ability to release/disclose private gun owner info, illegal toys, one gun limit (or magazine) per month, and much more ambiguity... ala New York.
Each of these bills should be entitled "Alan Gura's Pension Protection Act".
Old January 17, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5
JWT

Shouldn't be much of a surprise given Massachusetts previous stand on gun control. Just hope the fever doesn't move west. Given the constant play these moves are getting in the media there will be more attempts to do more of the same.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Don P

Quote:
I fear that the anti-gun legislature may not have much trouble passing this here either
One of the reasons I packed me bags and moved to the sunshine state.
Wonder what NJ will come up with now.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Dragline45

There will be a rally at the State House on Saturday January 19, 2013 12:00 PM. Hope to see you all there.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
heyjoe

new jersey, delaware,connecticut, rhode island, california, hawaii, and maryland are all on deck for similar legislation.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Dragline45

As bad as it is for gun owners subject to the 7 round ban, I feel worse for gun shop owners. This will literally drive them out of business. I would say about 75% of the guns on the market have 10 round mags or more. If this passes we will be limited to such few choices that it wont be profitable for gun shops to even be in business.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:35 AM   #10
Texshooter

Contact S&W immediately.

Tell them to move out of that state as quickley as possible, and for them to stop selling to non-free state gov'ts.

I am not going to buy anymore from Manf. and have their corp tax money go to a state that wants to deny me the right to buy the gun in the first place.

This is suicide and we must maintain the fight.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:09 AM   #11
SonOfLiberty

Also Savage, Troy, Yankee Hill Machine...

Am I missing any?
Old January 18, 2013, 08:23 AM   #12
h2otoo

"It reduces access to high-powered rounds of ammunition."

Okay, exactly what does that mean? I'm guessing it means anything the gov. wants it to mean.

Bob
Old January 18, 2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Pilot

Oh, I am so surprised.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:41 AM   #14
win-lose

Just wait to we get to see what Linsky is pushing.... here's a quick rundown of what he has leaked so far:

1) All large capacity firearms must be stored at gun clubs, not in the home.

2) No mental health reporting.... rather, license applicants must turn over their medical files to the local sheriff (issuing officer) for review of mental appropriateness.

3) Issuing officers must qualify license applicants on physical abilities and appropriate training.

4) All firearms owners must have liability insurance

5) Capacity limits and purchase limits similar to Patrick's bill

http://www.wgbhnews.org/post/david-l...trict-gun-laws

http://www.wickedlocal.com/marblehea...#axzz2IAlN4D68

On a positive note... the officers at masscops.com are (rightly) ****** about this....

http://www.masscops.com/threads/davi...l-bill.114163/

I clearly see a move in my not too distant future....
Old January 18, 2013, 10:30 AM   #15
SonOfLiberty

I refuse to be chased away from my family, friends, business, property, etc. As such, I will argue and attempt to influence. I will write and call, protest and demonstrate. I won't be quiet and retreat until I have no other option.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:46 AM   #16
win-lose

Quote:
I refuse to be chased away from my family, friends, business, property, etc. As such, I will argue and attempt to influence. I will write and call, protest and demonstrate. I won't be quiet and retreat until I have no other option.
I agree... however, my family is currently being pushed out for business reasons, the 2A issues are simply speeding up the time-table.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:23 AM   #17
SonOfLiberty

If I wasn't so heavily invested, I probably wouldn't feel as strongly. Also, if like you, I had some other circumstances involved... I'd likely be looking for greener pastures.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Noreaster

The bill was submitted today. I didn't see the 7 round limit but I didn't read the thing. What jumped out in News reports was the requirement to obtain liability insurance prior to renewing your LTC or before you can get a new LTC. The insurance is in case your firearm is lost or stolen and used in a crime. Of course the insurance company will want a list of all your firearms and you will have to constantly update the list to be covered. Will the insurance companies make the list available to the government?
Old January 18, 2013, 02:32 PM   #19
FlyFish

If I still lived in the People's Republic of MA, which thankfully I do not, I don't think I'd be too concerned about Linsky's bill. He's a perennial overreaching anti-gun bill filer and, near as I can tell, is generally regarded as something of a nut on the subject, even by those who are in favor of stricter controls. I'd be more worried about what Deval Patrick comes up with, which so far sounds identical to what passed in New York. Even though the Governor - not just Patrick, but any Governor - is something of a figurehead in Massachusetts, with the real power wielded by the House Speaker, his bill is far more likely to attract enough support to actually pass.

I'm sensitive to my fellow gun enthusiasts still living behind enemy lines and I understand the considerations of job, family, and other issues that make it difficult to leave. They kept me down there for most of my adult life. But, I always had a plan to get out, and when I finally could, I did. Life is very, very good up here in New Hampshire and we could always use a few more gun owners, so if you can, when you can, consider heading north.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:50 PM   #20
sigcurious

Quote:
It creates four new crimes: assault and battery by means of a firearm, assault by means of a firearm, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and commission of a violent misdemeanor while in possession of a weapon. These crimes will give police and prosecutors additional tools to protect the community from those who possess and use guns in a crime.
Really...like the current laws didn't cover all that...maybe they should have just tried using those...
Old January 18, 2013, 03:12 PM   #21
h2otoo

" What jumped out in News reports was the requirement to obtain liability insurance prior to renewing your LTC or before you can get a new LTC. The insurance is in case your firearm is lost or stolen and used in a crime. Of course the insurance company will want a list of all your firearms and you will have to constantly update the list to be covered. Will the insurance companies make the list available to the government?"

Sounds to me like it opens the door for a LTC holder to be sued if their firearm is stolen and used in a crime. Why go after the criminal when you can go after a legal gun owner who was a victim of a break-in.

Hope Maine does not get that liberal.

Bob
Old January 18, 2013, 03:54 PM   #22
Noreaster

Typical MASS nonsense. We already have A&B by means of a dangerous weapon plus hundreds of gun laws, (signed by Gov. Romney,) which nobody can understand. We have seminars and day long training for LEOs to try and clarify the existing gun laws. We have contradicting gun laws. Trust me everything that can be covered is already covered. Did you know the MA State Police are not authorized to carry an off duty gun anywhere in the Commonwealth. Policy & Procedure 101. Before you enter the State Police Academy you must surrender your license to carry a firearm. Nope, there is no need for a Trooper to carry anything but his issued full size duty gun. Rubbish!
Old January 18, 2013, 06:06 PM   #23
Mr.Scott

I can understand why Mass cops are mad. The NY law applies to the police as well as the way the law we written there is no exception added for police.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:48 PM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott
I can understand why Mass cops are mad. The NY law applies to the police as well as the way the law we written there is no exception added for police.
So NY wants to fix their law to provide an exception for LEOs ... and retired LEOs.

Why should a retired LEO be entitled to any more ammo than any other private citizen? His life isn't worth any more (or less) than mine, and his wife's life isn't worth any more (or less) than my wife's.

They don't think cops ever go off the deep end? A few years ago, right between NY and MA, a retired Connecticut state trooper ambushed his soon-to-be wife and her attorney in the parking garage of the courthouse. He killed his wife, seriously wounded the attorney, and then (with typical assassin bravado) shot himself.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2005/06/16...hoot.html?_r=0

Nope, no need to worry about police officers having all that firepower.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:56 PM   #25
Willie Sutton

So NY wants to fix their law to provide an exception for LEOs ... and retired LEOs.

THIS is what the firearms community ought to leverage as their fight in NY.

It would be such poetic justice to see them squirm at the unintended consequences.

Willie