The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 16, 2009, 09:11 AM   #1
cgbills

Encore vs Accura COST?!?!

Other than the versatility of being able to change out the barrels on the TC, is there that much of a difference between the quality/accuracy of these 2 to make the TC almost 2 times as expensive as the CVA? The Encore Pro Hunter is a very nice gun and I bought it because I had some extra cash, but is it that much better than the Accura? I just don't get the huge price disparity.

Last edited by cgbills; October 16, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old October 16, 2009, 10:44 AM   #2
arcticap

If the Encore Pro Hunter only had a muzzle loading capability, many folks would chose the TC's Triumph or Omega over it.
And the special Flex-Tech stock with enhanced ergonomics also adds to it's cost. I believe that's a proprietary design developed and/or manufactured by a third party.
If TC made the Pro Hunter more affordable then who would buy their other base level guns which are also offered at increasing more expensive option levels?
Muzzle loaders are their bread & butter and even Walmart sells some TC's now at discounted prices seemingly just to help them out.
Plus TC has been laying off workers which I think is mostly because their newly designed bolt action centerfire rifle isn't selling that well and they lost millions of dollars last year on the back of their new owners, Smith & Wesson.
There's a lot of competition for centerfire rifles, and many guns have been taken out of the closet lately and flooding the used market because of the economy.
TC's are made in the U.S.A. and they offer a "no nonsense" lifetime warranty on all of their guns which costs them extra $$$ too.

Last edited by arcticap; October 17, 2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
FrontierGander

the accura is an excellent rifle but strictly muzzleloader. If you like the barrel swab rifles check out the cva Apex! its a monster. Adjustable trigger too. I think they start around $460