The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 26, 2009, 05:00 PM   #1
freedom475

Removeing Trigger Creep..Advice

I have a Rem 58 and I want to reduce the trigger creep... Is it safe to remove some of the hammer sear notch?? Or will this risk/cause the trigger to possibly hit/catch in the half cock notch as the pistol is fired??

Or is it better to shim the hammer notch to prevent the trigger sear from engaging as far??

Fileing the hammer would sure be easier than shimming ;D ;D

Anyone???

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old September 26, 2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Model-P

(double posted somehow)
Old September 26, 2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Model-P

If there is very short creep, then sometimes just reshaping the trigger sear will solve the problem. This should be done by a qualified gunsmith.

If there is a fair amount of creep, then you might get away with filing above the full cock sear, but will probably also need to file a radius above the half cock sear so the trigger doesn't catch there. A jig with two posts, one for the trigger and the other for the hammer and set the same distance apart as on the frame, can be used to see the geometries of the sear contacts and parts throughout the hammer's fall.

If there is a large amount of creep, the easiest thing to do is to drill an appropriately sized hole straight into the face of the hammer below the full cock sear and press fit a pin. The pin acts as a trigger stop and is filed down until the proper amount of sear engagement is achieved.
Old September 26, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
madcratebuilder

You can stone or file the hammer. If you have a lot of creep a set screw, pin or soldered shim stock to take up the space. The last one I did that had a deep notch I drilled and tapped for a set screw. When I got the adjustment the way I wanted I applied loctite. What ever you do be sure and keep a positive angle on the sear notch.
Old September 26, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
freedom475

Thanks Guys....I filed about as much off the hammer as I can and still maintain clearance for the half cock notch... didn't get all the creep out but it is better..

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old September 26, 2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Mike OTDP

Shim or pin the sear notch. Best not to file on it, you can wreck what hardening there is - unless you plan to reharden everything.