The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 12, 2001, 05:25 PM   #1
Gunslinger

A couple of weeks ago I was taking advantage of the info stored here and was doing a lot of searching. As I was bouncing back and forth clicking on the "search" bar I got a message that I was already a registered member. Hmmmm...then I realized that I had missed "search" and had clicked on "register" instead.
The next day, while bored, I changed to another screen name/Internet account and clicked on the "register" icon with the same results. So I'm assuming it must recognize the IP.
I understand the reason for the feature in the software, spaming, and think it is a good feature. However, it brings a question to mind.
There are now several "couples" on TFL, such as terridarri and myself, as well as mother/daughters, father and sons, et. al. that use the same computer but have seperate user names to distingish themselves from the other.
No one else in my household will be registering but it is an interesting observation and something that I am sure will come up some time in the future.
Old April 12, 2001, 05:33 PM   #2

...???
Old April 12, 2001, 06:11 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I'm not sure I understand the question, Bill. But the system's ability to recognize you has nothing to do with IP address. Like any other system on the intenet, from Brownell's to Microsoft, it recognizes you and remembers you from a cookie that you allow or disallow in your browser.

Two TFL Members on the same computer? Two cookies. One logs out; the other logs in. The system then recognizes the active cookie.

Don't want to activate cookies? No problem. But you'll have to fill in your name and password each time you post.

Hope this answers it.
Rich