The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 2017, 09:10 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Primer Crimp Removal Tool Harbor Freight Junk Alert

I was in Harbor freight Tools and while looking for something else, this item caught my eye. It is the counter sink drill bit (3 of them actually) and an Orange Handle so you can use it like a screw driver.
It is item number 68535, on-line it is $4.99. I seem to have paid $5.99 in my local store. The bits are 45 degree angle.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1...ool-68535.html

I normally use these drill bits (available at Home Depot or Lowes for $7-9 for ONE), in a cordless drill and give each unprocessed case 1 full second on the drill trigger.
This hand tool would require a at least a few twists to remove the same amount of brass. Less work in a drill. But the hand tool could be ideal for touch ups just before priming.
It comes in a welded plastic package that takes a razor blade to open.
If nothing else, this is a bargain for 3 counter sink bits for $2 each. Since they are all 45 degree they each will cut the exact same material in our use, regardless of the outside bit diameter.

Update: Now that I got it out of the package and grabbed the first piece of brass I could find. . . . This is junk with no sharp cutting edge capable of cutting brass. It seems to make a shiny surface, but holding it over a dark cloth I counted one tiny speck of brass (and that may have been a bur left by a sharper edge that just got knocked off. So I am taking it back to Harbor Freight to recover my funds. A lot of Harbor Freight stuff is so inexpensive, that if you get it to work once, you got your money's worth. If not, they give you your money back (for 30 days anyway).
I am sure some folks can sharpen the bits, but if I pay for something I expect it to be sharp right out of the plastic case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171018_184632.jpg (143.6 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 19, 2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Update: Junk - no cutting edge.
Old October 18, 2017, 09:22 PM   #2
lamarw

I tried a few different gadgets that worked but nothing worked for me better than Dillon's Super Swage 600. Your time management and hands will thankyou over and over again.

You will understand when you see a box of 2,000 pieces of Lake City 5.56 brass staring you in the face.
Old October 18, 2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I am sticking with the $8 sharp bit in a drill.
And I think I can do 1000 in 90 minutes.
That's 5 seconds each:
2 seconds picking up
1 second in the drill
2 seconds putting down.

I have heard that the Dillion is the best swager. But rather than push the brass around, I prefer to remove the interfering brass, and bevelling nicely.
Old October 18, 2017, 10:05 PM   #4
higgite

Harbor Freight sells junk? Who knew?
Old October 19, 2017, 07:02 AM   #5
cecILL

I love Harbor Freight stories, that's why I don't shop there.
Old October 19, 2017, 07:44 AM   #6
hounddawg

as far as Harbor Freight goes I won't buy any electrical tools. I do like the stuff like zip ties and shrink tubing and I have a vise, a workbench and some plastic storage units purchased there. Oh and the 20 dollar electronic caliper I purchased a few years back at HF is still just as accurate as my 150 dollar plus dial Starrett

That being said I just went and got my countersink which was not purchased at HF and it works great for crimp removal. Thanks to the OP for the idea.
Old October 19, 2017, 09:42 AM   #7
robhic

Quote:
as far as Harbor Freight goes I won't buy any electrical tools.
Not that I am invested with Harbor Freight, while their products are, umm, shall we say, sometimes lesser quality than other vendors? But I have to say I bought a Dremel knock-off for $20 a few years ago.

I've used it to polish all the metal parts in my Glocks, polish other items, ream out a Bigfoot THICK steel-core belt holes, ream a bunch of other things and it just keeps on tickin'....

I woulda been happy to get a month's service out of it for $20 but 3-4 years and more uses than I ever expected, Harbor Freight can sometimes deliver!
Old October 19, 2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Tuzo

Best Harbor Freight tool

By far my best Harbor Freight tool purchase is a 50-pound anvil. Next best is 1/2" drive pneumatic hammer that has seen 20+ years of casual but robust service. Third best is a ultrasonic parts cleaner that was identical in design, function, and country-of-origin as offerings from Lyman at a fraction of the cost.

Worst tools from HF is a set of Pakistani-origin combination wrenches that flexed and cracked with little applied torque. Did not bother returning and placed them in the trash bin.
Old October 19, 2017, 10:46 AM   #9
F. Guffey

Marco Califo, The temptation to chuck the tools up in a drill must be too great, all of my counter sinks are aircraft counter sinks, a wild guestimate on the numbers would be close to 300. There has to be a difference between my air craft countersinks because all of my countersinks have shanks for electric and or air drills. So I am thinking the Harbor Freight counter sinks were designed for wood.

And then there is that part where someone decided to taper the top of the primer pocket to remove the crimp, I have always said I thought that was a bad habit, and now? at the risk of alienating another reloader I must consider changing my mind.

I did make a primer pocket tightening tool but I do not believe it will work after someone decides to taper the opening.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; October 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: the s key is too close to the d key
Old October 19, 2017, 10:52 AM   #10
tangolima

HF starts carry higher-price, higher-quality product lines. Bauer and Vulcan brands like pretty good. But they are longer dirt cheap.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 19, 2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Marco Califo

Guffey, It is NOT a taper. It is slight bevelling.
\ ............ /
.|.............|
.|________|
Old October 19, 2017, 11:16 AM   #12
F. Guffey

Quote:
Vulcan brands
I do not know what brand carries the Vulcan name today but in the old days I had friends that were involved in manufacturing machines for machine shops. They had the opportunity to attend a Machine shop type trade shop in Russia. I thought allowing them to go was a mistake, it is said they almost caused WW 3 before they got out of there. They got out of there with everything they took with them.

They were my kind of people, they could aggravate the horns off of a Billy goat.

F. Guffey
Old October 19, 2017, 11:41 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...plastic package that takes a razor blade to open..." Wielded by an engineer. The difference between brand name stuff and no-name stuff from China is the packaging.
"...in a cordless drill..." Takes the same amount of time using a chamfering tool. One second is probably too long as well. Just using the drill without the machine works the same as a chamfering tool.
"...Harbor Freight counter sinks were designed for wood..." HF says, "Countersink wood, metal and PVC", but still. I'm thinking the 45 degrees might be why it doesn't cut right.
Old October 19, 2017, 12:48 PM   #14
mikld

Are you sure you are turning the tool in the right direction? Same as with bolts, nuts, etc.; "righty tighty, lefty loosey"...

I have been using 60 degree countersinks for de-crimping primer pockets for as many years as I've used military surplus/once fired brass., mebbe 20?. Can't remember the mfg. I used them as a machinist/mechanic and they were in my toolbox, so...
Old October 19, 2017, 01:31 PM   #15
ShootistPRS

The only thing wrong with Harbor Freight tools is the buyer. They have some good tools and some that are just cheap. If you buy te cheapest tool for the job then you get cheap. If you know anything about tools and the use you will give them, Harbor Freight is a great place to find tools to fit your needs. You can even find "professional" grade tools if you know what you are looking for. I bought a set of drills for a project that I was making out of stainless steel. The high speed drills I have owned for 25 years wouldn't cut the stainless so I got a set of cobalt drills from Harbor Freight. They went through the stainless without much effort and left clean holes that readily accepted the rivets. That drill index cost less than I paid for the high speed drill set that I bought so long ago but they are a purpose based buy. You cant use them on mild steel, brass or copper because they will catch and break. When used on hard steel they are great!
Old October 19, 2017, 02:35 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

I just use the nose of my RCBS chamfering tool. A couple twists, and done. And since I already bought the tool for chamfering trimmed cases, there's no additional expense to use it for cleaning out GI primer pocket crimps.
Old October 19, 2017, 03:56 PM   #17
F. Guffey

I have the RCBS case prep center. I have both the small and large primer pocket crimp removal tools and I have the press operated swage AND I have both primer pocket uniforms. and I have the wood handle crimp removal tool and all of those of those counter sinks, the nice thing about my counter sinks is the guide, sounds expensive.

bevel/taper or a radius: I still believe it is a bac habit.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; October 19, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old October 19, 2017, 06:38 PM   #18
jpx2rk

I have the FA case prep center. I have two small primer pocket crimp removal tools that fit my FA case prep center. I have a Lee handheld chamfer tool. I do not have a press mounted swage tool. And I do not have any countersinks.
Old October 19, 2017, 08:08 PM   #19
Marco Califo

Countersink bit $8.
FA Case Prep Center $155.
$147 cash in hand
Old October 19, 2017, 09:40 PM   #20
5whiskey

I use a razor to cut primer crimps. A few seconds per case, but it does get tiresome.

As an aside, I will mirror that some good stuff can be found at HF. The Pittsburgh line is a decent value. I bought a 2' 1/2 pull bar that has taken some abuse and is still going strong. I make 1911 pistol grips with HF brad point drill bits. They work great. I would not suggest any precise measuring tool or torque wrench from HF. Especially when the measurement needs to be spot on.
Old October 19, 2017, 11:12 PM   #21
F. Guffey

And no one remembers but hatcher said he used his pocket knife, I did not say anything but I do not believe hatcher had 3,000+ cases to prep. But years later I did say I was the fan of all the hold I can get,

I have worked with core hole plugs, freeze plugs and welch plugs, I have never found anything entertaining about spending 2 days gaining access to a plug someone got fancy with when installing them. Again, like bullets, I want all the hold I can get.

F. Guffey
Old October 20, 2017, 06:33 AM   #22
jpx2rk

Countersink bit $8.
FA Case Prep Center $155.
$147 cash in hand

= hand(s) too stiff/sore to hold $147, wife goes to shoe store.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:08 AM   #23
cptjack

LOL. I know better ,father taught me buy the best tool you can afford and upgrade when you can afford to
Old October 20, 2017, 07:19 AM   #24
hounddawg

Last eve I checked out my store bought crimp remover that came with my bargain basement case prep center

{Edit: No direct links to images allowed. It robs the source of bandwidth when we view it here. We had a fellow hot link to a 1911 image against express instructions not to by the site owner, so the site owner replaced the image at the end of the link with an "adult" photo that then appeared in the thread. Not for this forum. You can put in a link that takes you Midways page selling the product, as that puts eyes on their selling page, which they want, but not just to the photo alone. Please read the board's general policy on posting copyrighted materials.)

and discovered that it cuts a light chamfer when removing the crimp. A little further experimentation revealed that the counter sink does a better and more uniform job. Looks like this old dog was taught a new trick and my countersink now has a permanent home on my reloading bench.

I have tossed a lot of Lapua cases when the primer pockets get loose anyway so if I get a couple less reloadings no big deal. All my LC cases are range pickup and going by weight I have over 2K, most of which are unprocessed except for cleaning
Old October 20, 2017, 09:18 AM   #25
Unclenick
Staff

Marco,

I'm guessing like the HF countersinks were just not ground incorrectly. If you compared one to a good countersink from the store, you'd likely learn that right away.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread

Tags
primer crimp removal