The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2017, 09:16 PM   #1
ATCDoktor

Range Report Ruger America Ranch 7.62X39

I got this in from Buds Gunshop yesterday morning and have spent the last 24 hours wringing it out (so to speak) and the following will be a review/range report on this specific model:

Pictured Scoped with Weaver 3X10X40 Mil-Mil scope suppressed with a YHM Titanium 30 cal direct thread can.

As you can see this is their newest model in their American Ranch Model line and it uses their proprietary Ruger Mini 30 magazines and has a threaded muzzle (in the standard 5/8X24 pattern for American made 30 caliber cans).

The rifle ships from the factory with a single 5 round magazine, a bicycle lock and thread protector along with an instruction manual some stickers and associated paperwork.

Out of the box the rifle was clean with no tool, factory handling marks and the metal is finished in a matte black finish that appears to be durable as any other on a budget rifle in this price range.

The first thing I checked when I pulled it from the box was the muzzle threads and can alignment.

The muzzle end of the barrel has a generous somewhat "belled" shoulder that is square to the bore giving a broad surface for a suppressor to mount too.

Threading my can onto the barrel I immediately noticed that the muzzle threads are a bit "coarse" allowing slight "wiggling" of the can throughout the course of threading until it shouldered.

With the can tightened down on the shoulder it was perfectly centered to the bore.

With regards to the coarse muzzle threads, I suspected there would be an issue with the can backing off/un screwing during firing (reference their coarseness) and on my first two range trips I found this to be the case.

I couldn't get the can tight enough to keep it from backing off during firing and I would end up checking the can ever 10 or so rounds to make sure it was still tight.

I believe a wrap or two of plumbers tape/pipe dope will alleviate this issue.

As previously mentioned, out of the box the fit and finish is standard Ruger.

The rifle was clean with no tool/handling marks metal finish was even and applied properly, the barrel (as one might expect) was not "free floated" the trigger was standard for Ruger Ranch Rifles in that just about any serious shooter would find it totally unacceptable reference its weight of pull.

Reference the trigger, Ruger Ranch Rifles come standard with an adjustable "bladed" type trigger not unlike the Savage Accutrigger.

The one glaring difference between Rugers trigger and Savage's trigger is that no amount of adjusting of the Ruger product will provide the shooter with an acceptable weight of pull.

You can back the trigger adjustment screw all the way out and you'd still have trigger pull that is stiff as a wedding dick.

For those inclined to do a little minor surgery on their Ruger Ranch rifle there is a fix that requires a minimum of mechanical skill and almost no tools administrate and takes about 5 minutes to complete.

Here's a link to a tutorial on how to lighten the Ruger American trigger:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...EDB8&FORM=VIRE

Needless to say after my first range trip I brought he rifle home and immediately administrated this "fix".

While the action was out of the stock (reference fixing the trigger) I figured I'd go ahead and free float the barrel.

All that took was a few minutes "rasping" the barrel channel with a mop handle wrapped in coarse sandpaper and before long a dollar bill would slide all the way down to the receiver.

As far as magazines are concerned, the Ruger mini 30 magazines performed flawlessly with regards to feeding and function (I used 5, 10 and 20 round Ruger magazines).

This rifle using 10 and 20 round mags feeds way more "slick" than either of my Mossberg MVP's from similar sized magazines.

The Ruger American Ranch definitely isn't a butter smooth custom boltgun reference feeding, but compared the MVP's (IMO) it feeds a lot better.

Reference feeding, the Ruger Mini 30 mag followers have a large protrusion on the mag follower that activates the Bolt Hold Open on the Mini 30 rifle and thus on the Ruger Ranch it does the same thing.

When the magazine is empty, the follower acts as a Bolt Hold Open and no amount of force (that I cared to apply) would override it.

That identified, if you're interested in "single loading" the rifle from the bench (or any other position) you will quickly find it is a gigantic pain in the ass.

It can be done but rounds have to be pushed into the magazine through the open action and there isn't a lot of room to manipulate the round from outside the action

As far as inserting mags into this rifle is concerned, the way the mags fit into the magazine well is a little different than how they fit in the Mini 30.

On the Mini 30 (and M1A's, Ak's and such) the magazine is inserted front first and then "rocked" back into place.

On this thing they have to be inserted almost "straight up" into the magwell with just a hint of forward cant.

The magazines fit tight in the magwell but release easily once you've got the hang of how to manipulate them in and out of the gun.

Mags do not drop free upon activation of the mag release and must be pulled from the gun and the big city move of using one magazine to "rake" another out of the gun (ala AK/Mini 14/30) cannot be done on this rifle.

A combat reload with this rifle would be difficult.

Shooting the rifle was a pleasure (the initial poor trigger pull notwithstanding) and I found it to be accurate with Russian ball ammo as well as my handloads (using both .310 and .308 diametwr bullets).

Typical groups with Russian ball ran about 1.5 to 2 inches and now and then I'd get a flyer taking the group out to near 2.5 inches.

Here's a group fired with some Barnaul 123 grain FMJ's:

I'd always get 4 rounds into about an inch and then a flyer would mess the group up.

Coulda been me, might have been the gun, but it was probably the ammo.

Reference my handloads using .308 diameter bullets, I was extremely surprised at how well these loads shot with undersized bullets (Ruger shows the bore diameter on these as .310):

Here a group fired using .308 diameter 110 grain Nosler Varmageddons using 29 grains of Reloader 7:

5 shots at 100 meters (110 yards)

4 rounds practically in one hole

Here's a 10 shot group using a load of 26 grains of H4198 and .308 diameter Nosler 125 grain Ballistic Tips:

That's 7 rounds into an inch and a half with the 3 flyers opening it up to about 2.

I also fired groups using Hornady Vmax 125 grain .310 diameter bullets over the same charge (26 grains of H4198) and that load shot into about a one inch group but I didn't get a picture of the group.

You cats will have to take my word that they shot as well as they did.

The only real issue I had with the gun was that from time to time (mostly firing from the bench) I'd get weak ejection.

This would happen maybe one or two rounds in a 20 round magazine.

When it occurred from the bench I attributed it to me not working the bolt forcefully enough to the rear.

Then I ran couple of 20 round mags through the gun while standing (consciously working the bolt like a grown assed man) and I'd still get a couple per mag that would just barely fall out of the gun.

Pulling the bolt from the gun and rocking a fired case under the extractor showed that the extractor spring was stiff and the extractor was working with no hint of it hanging up or snagging inside the bolt.

I'll have to continue to monitor this issue and see if its a problem on other peoples rifles.

All in all my impressions of this rifle is good.

It's accurate (enough for me) and does what it supposed to do (feed from high capacity mags) and fires an economical round (of which I have many many thousands on hand).

I will share (with those who have read this far) that this is not my only bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62X39.

I have a CZ model 527 Carbine and a Savage model 10 scout both chambered in 7.62X39.

The Ruger compares favorably to both in accuracy and handling and gets bonus points for the extended mags, threaded muzzle from the factory and the economical price (CZ's are near 700 bucks a piece and the Savage Scout is a little more than that).

For anyone wanting a handy, affordable bolt gun chambered in the X39 cartridge you might want to give the Ruger a look.

Dr.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:47 PM   #2
zeke

Thanks for the review, it be appreciated.
Old October 1, 2017, 03:55 AM   #3
armoredman

Nicely written, thank you!
Old October 1, 2017, 09:31 PM   #4
ECVMatt

Great report and great pictures! I hope to get mine out next weekend.
Old October 2, 2017, 12:14 PM   #5
ATCDoktor

I took the RAR in X39 back out to the range this morning to do some load testing using Accurate Arms 1680 and Nosler 110 grain .308 diameter projectiles.

I settled on the "book" max load of 29.5 grains of 1680 , Federal factory primed "pulled down" brass and accuracy was extremely good.

This is a 10 shot group at 100 meters with the above mentioned load:

So far I've put about 300 rounds of Russian steel cased ammo and about 100 rounds of my hand loads through the RAR and the more I shoot it the more It's becoming my favorite (new) rifle.

I've shot it out to 400 yards and it has performed extremely well and I believe that most people will be astonished at how accurate it can be with both Russian Steel Cased ammo and carefully crafted handloads.

I predict that Ruger will sell all of these they can make.
Old October 2, 2017, 07:05 PM   #6
batmann

Thanks for the review. I have one ordered from Bud's that should get here this week. I hope it performs as well as yours as deer season will be here soon. I am retiring, for a short time, my Winchester M 94 30/30 in favor of the RAR in 7.62 x 39. I have some Hornady SST 'Black' (brass) that I will use to hunt with as well as some steel case to check function and getting used to the rifle.
Once again, great review.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:21 AM   #7
Zorro

Um...SKS is still cheaper and almost as accurate.
Old October 3, 2017, 03:14 AM   #8
ATCDoktor

Quote:
Um...SKS is still cheaper and almost as accurate.
And for those interested in owning a semi automatic rifle in 7.62X39 I suggest they purchase one.

On the other hand, if a person has youngsters or family members that are recoil shy (or just starting out in the shooting sports) and it is that persons intent to train them up/take them hunting using a rifle who's manual of arms is simple to master, can be easily fitted with a bipod (for smaller children and the infirm), comes ready to scope, threaded for a suppressor (or your recoil moderator of choice), is easy to work on and made in America by a company whose reputation for customer service is second to none, I'd suggest giving the RAR in 7.62X39 (the rifle we're discussing in this thread) a look.

There's a whole other subforum here that is devoted to semi automatic rifles and if I was interested in doing a comparison/contrast thread between the RAR in 7.62X39 and the SKS I would have posted my thread there.

But seeing how there's another thread just below this one discussing this rifle (to the tune of 5 pages in length with approximately 5000 views) without a range report I figured I'd share my limited exposure with mine with the group as it appears that it may be relevant to some members interests here at The Firing Line.
Old October 3, 2017, 08:02 AM   #9
jmr40

I handled one in a store yesterday and liked it. Of course I already have 2 Predators in 308 and 6.5 CR as well as a Compact in 223. My brother has the Ranch in 5.56 as well as a 6.5 CR too. All 5 of them are VERY accurate.

I'd prefer to have that option for my 223. There should be a way to make one of those work with an AR magazine. I'd like the option of 10 and 20 round AR magazines in my 223.

If I had a SKS and were already set up with lots of 7.62X39 ammo I'd be all over this. And may still end up with one.

Winston Churchill
Old October 3, 2017, 09:38 AM   #10
ATCDoktor

Quote:
There should be a way to make one of those work with an AR magazine.
If not an AR magazine, they can certainly make one that takes Mini 14 mags.

I should have taken pictures of the inside of the stock (when I had it apart fixing the trigger and hogging out the barrel channel)showing the magwell and how it's installed.

Ruger essentially designed a plastic magwell and cut the bottom of the stock to accept it and screwed it in place.

The Ruger uses one of the tri lobal locking lugs to strip the rounds from the magazine as opposed to the protrusion/metal flap on the bottom of Mossberg MVP's bolt.

It's a pretty slick setup and IMO the Ruger feeds better (more smooth) than the Mossberg.

This perceived difference could be because of the generous taper on the 7.62X39 case and might have very little to do with the rifles design.
Old October 3, 2017, 10:34 AM   #11
jmr40

I noticed that. I wonder if a 223 barreled action would fit in the 7.62X39 rifles stock. IIRC the mini-14 and mini 30 mags are interchangeable. If so all it would take is a stock swap to make the 223 use Mini-14 mags. If they can do that, they can make it work with AR magazines too. But I'd bet Ruger would prefer to sell Mini-14 mags.

Winston Churchill
Old October 3, 2017, 11:38 AM   #12
ATCDoktor

Quote:
IIRC the mini-14 and mini 30 mags are interchangeable.
Sadly Mini 14/30 magazines are not interchangeable (at least mine aren't).

My Ruger Factory Mini 14 mags are too long front to back to fit this rifle and my Mini 30 magazines are too wide to fit the Mini 14.

That said, I believe that a RAR barreled receiver in 223/300 blackout will fit in this stock so all Ruger would have to do is tweak the magwell components to Mini 14 dimensions and screw them into the stock and it should would work.

If the shooting public asks for it I bet Ruger would make it happen.

Reference the use of AR mags, as you say,it would be in Rugers interest financially to build a magwell to accept the Mini14 mags and Mossberg has that covered.

I expect there would be some engineering requirements to design and manufacture a magwell that would accept AR mags as the mag release/retention design for AR mags is totally different.

This of course would mean those costs would be passed on to the shooter (who some will say would be happy to pay the price) but as we can see from a single post in this thread there will be a cadre of shooters who will point out that this RAR in 7.62X39 (for the time being) is more expensive than an SKS from Classic Firearms (by a whole 30 dollars).
Old October 3, 2017, 03:38 PM   #13
ThomasT

Great report. I have been interested in this rifle since i first heard of them.

Quote:
You can back the trigger adjustment screw all the way out and you'd still have trigger pull that is stiff as a wedding dick.
Can we say that here?
Old October 3, 2017, 05:24 PM   #14
Dranrab

Thanks for taking time out to post a detailed report.
Old October 3, 2017, 08:07 PM   #15
MisterYuck

My son bought one of these last Saturday. We put a 2-7X32 Nikon prostaff on it (all we had lying around) took it to the range and got great results with Monarch Lacquer coated steel case ammo. We were even able to hit a 13 5/8" diam steel plate out to 300 yards in dim light. Fun to shoot and accurate. Can't get a dollar bill around the barrel though. Gonna have to get the dremel tool after it. Does your stock touch the barrel?
Old October 3, 2017, 08:19 PM   #16
ATCDoktor

Quote:
Does your stock touch the barrel?
Not any more.

The first thing I did after my initial range trip was pull the action out of the stock, administrate the trigger job spoken too in my original post and while the barreled receiver was out of the stock, I hogged out the barrel channel with a mop handle wrapped in coarse sand paper.

It took about 15 minutes to get it free floated all the way down to the receiver.
Old October 3, 2017, 08:41 PM   #17
Kvon2

I've never really felt that Ruger made a firearm that I was really interested in buying...but this has my attention.
Old October 4, 2017, 12:24 AM   #18
bamaranger

"almost"

Great post ATCDoktor, on what I think is a great firearm, a tidy, lightweight, portable bolt rifle in the useful 7.62x39mm cartridge. A good 15-20 years ago, I bought a Ruger 77MkII so chambered (stainless/synthetic w/20" tube) and became a believer regards how practical, and the many attributes of, a handy x39mm bolt rifle.

I think your replies later regards the driveby comment on the SKS are spot on as well. I'll add that the SKS is almost as heavy as an M1 Garand, and almost as long, yet still fires the modest x39mm cartridge), and these days costs almost as much as a Ruger American Ranch. The days of a $100 or under SKS are over, put that money towards the RAR.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:34 AM   #19
bman940

I have had a number of Ruger's in my day. The first deer rifle I bought almost 40 years ago was a left handed 30/06 made by Ruger. I hauled that thing a lot of miles and took a lot of Oregon Mulies with it. Doing some work in the shooting industry I get the opportunity to see a lot of rifles and I can assure you Ruger is a major player in the forearms industry. They listened to what their customer's wanted and made it. Afforadability and accuracy, tough to beat. Back in the day I just wanted a left handed rifle I could afford that would work on big deer and elk. Now Ruger has something for almost everyone. FYI, I do no work for Strum Ruger, just a fan of quality and affordabilty.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:47 AM   #20
Ibmikey

ATCDoktor, Thank you for a great review of this neat little rifle, I have one in 300 Blackout that has taken a few Texas hogs. Your rifle is far better than mine in the magazine dept, the 300 has a chintzy plastic rotary mag that refuses to feed shorter rounds like 125 or 110 grain 300 Blackout. The cartridge is moved slightly upon closing then takes a nose dive into the mag, common with at least the first two rounds of the five round mag. I checked the Ruger site and about 3/4 of those responding were critical of the mag.
How I envy your mini 30 mag set up, it would be so nice to have AR mags for mine ( or any magazine that worked properly).
Old October 6, 2017, 07:54 AM   #21

I also have the .300 BO Ruger and I agree that it would have been nice if "they" had designed the rifle around an existing magazine instead of designing a new magazine just for that rifle.
I agree that if I am using short/light bullets for supers, the first round doesn't want to feed. After the first one, mine seems OK. And if I am shooting longer bullets, such as with subs, it feeds fine.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 7, 2017, 01:03 PM   #22
reynolds357

First off, I have no idea why anyone would want a bolt action 7.62x39. Nothing about it really makes sense. Having said that, I have one on order.
Old October 7, 2017, 03:49 PM   #23
jetinteriorguy

Some day I'll have a bolt 7.62x39. I think the thing is, for whatever reason I love the cartridge and would love to see its true accuracy potential. No real sensible reason, just a thing.
Old October 8, 2017, 12:48 AM   #24
armoredman

Because I wanted one, I have one, and it's fun.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:19 PM   #25
Rmart30

Wonder if this will bring other manufacturers to finally bring out their own versions in this caliber?