The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 23, 2015, 07:51 AM   #26
WC145

kcub - I don't know, I wondered the same thing for the same reasons. I suppose I could/should call Federal about it and ask since it happens so frequently. We've been shooting up what I have left of it in the back field, when we've used it for 3 gun competition we run the SS197 and that's what I keep in it for 'practical applications'.

mellow_c - The gun is waaaaayyy quieter than anything in 5.56, which another thing I like about it. A lot of people advocate for the AR-15 carbine or pistol for home defense but I don't think they've ever shot one indoors, as loud as they are outside, inside they are far worse. The PS90/5.7x28 combo is quiet enough that I can shoot it without hearing protection without discomfort/ringing in my ears if I have to, I can't do that with an AR.

This is a link to my 13y/o son shooting the PS90, a Mossberg 930SPX, and a 9mm Hi Power in his first 3 Gun match a couple of months ago. Telephone video is notorious for poor sound reproduction but you can get an idea of the difference between them. To my ear, the PS90 is quieter than either the 12ga or the 9mm, a little sharper but not as loud.
https://goo.gl/photos/7uL8cCvnxATFsUKMA
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 23, 2015, 10:29 AM   #27
Sharkbite

SBR it and add a Can... Done. No more worry about noise. It wont be any longer then the standard gun and Cool factor has gone WAY up
Old September 23, 2015, 10:56 PM   #28
chadio

Copied from one of my posts from a few years ago:

As the proud owner of an FNH PS90 since Father's Day :

- the engineering is amazingly innovative
- mag changes are a bit cumbersome, but hey .. it holds 50
- Mag loading is easy once you do it a few times, the rounds go into place like butter
- the trigger creep is very creepy
- the portability and size are undeniably handy, think ATV, mtn bike, backpack, etc.
- ammo is spendy
- it is the runaway crowd pleaser "Hey, can I try that? Can I just hold it?" "Can I get a picture??"
- I am not going to war with it, combat effectiveness is a non-issue with me
- that being said, I would hate to get hit by a 5.7
- I am not hunting with it, just plink and targets for now
- LOP is same as where I set my AR stock so it sits right with me when shouldered
- recoil is like a BB gun
- plink and target shooting enjoyment is off the charts

I am a firm believer that reloading the 5.7x28 is a bad idea. The way the shoulder is formed during the factory loading process, and de-formed during the firing process, it is critical in the timing of the blowback operation... and I highly recommend against reloading 5.7.

That said, I have only fired factory SS197SR and SS195LF. Found one bad lot number of the SR, wherein part of the casing would stay in the chamber after firing (thus preventing the subsequent round from fully chambering and going into battery) .

Now that I know which lot number was the problem, my PS90 runs like a raped ape running a sewing machine and... I'd trust my life to it.
Old September 24, 2015, 06:29 AM   #29
kcub

The closest thing to it is a .30 Carbine. Both offer fast follow up shots. Both are intended to be an alternative to a pistol rather than a full fledged battle rifle. I think the average shooter will be able to make precise hits with either several hundred percent better than a pistol beyond face slapping distance. I don't want anyone shooting at me with either one, especially because they are probably going to hit me. More than once.

Tags
5.7x28 , fnh , p90 , pdw , ps90