The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2014, 12:42 AM   #1
BOOMST1CK

Question about Hodgdon PB

I have never used hodgdon PB, but picked up a pound yesterday. I can not seem to find any published loads with this powder, but I can find loads for imr PB.
Are these the same powder? Can I use imr PB load data? I also read somewhere that hodgdon was going to discontinue their PB. If so why?
Old March 9, 2014, 12:57 AM   #2
snuffy

What you have there is the former dupont/IMR PB. Hodgdon is simply a powder distributor. They never have made any powder, they market and distribute others manufactures powder. Hodgdon became distributors of the IMR and winchester lines of powder. Don't remember the date, maybe 10 years ago???¿

Yes, the PB will go away this summer, along with SR-4756, SR-7625 AND SR-4759. All single base powders, the 4759 is hollow tubular, the rest is flake powder. Rumor has it that the machinery is worn out, the powders listed don't sell well, so the machines will be scrapped.

As for load data, PB is a good fine, clean burning powder around the burn rate of Alliant unique.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 9, 2014, 01:29 AM   #3
BOOMST1CK

Thanks for the info. I know it can be loaded in a lot of calibers, but in what caliber does it really shine? Most of my reloads are low to medium plinking ammo.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:36 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I know it can be loaded in a lot of calibers, but in what caliber does it really shine? Most of my reloads are low to medium plinking ammo.
Since you never mentioned the caliber or gauge, how can I answer?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 9, 2014, 10:00 PM   #5
BOOMST1CK

380/9mm/38/357/40/45/44mag/.223 are the handgun calibers I reload for. Not that .223 is a handgun caliber, I just reload it for a handgun.

Last edited by BOOMST1CK; March 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old March 22, 2014, 05:32 PM   #6
BOOMST1CK

Well, I never received info on this powder so I started making test loads off the reloading data I could find. My 40 S&W really likes this powder with a 180 gr berry flat point over 4.5 gr of PB. Have tried other calibers, but so far nothing is really working that great so far. I will keep trying, but I heard this powder was not going to be produced anymore.
I love working loads up from powders I do not know, so at least it was not a complete wast of time.
Old March 26, 2014, 12:10 AM   #7
John C

Boomstick;

I'm interested to see what you find in .38 spl and .357. I, too, picked up a pound of PB in the current drought. How does it meter? Also, what powder measure are you using?

The word came out earlier this year that PB would be among the powders discontinued. However, since then Hodgdon has moved IMR PB, 700x, and 800x over to their label. 4759, 7625, and 4759 were not rebranded. It's pure speculation on my part, but I think that PB might stay with us for a while.

I was asking around and researching whether I should get PB or 700x in place of my usual (now unavailable) powders, and no one on the forums seemed to have an opinion. I ended up buying a pound of each to try out. I now wish I bought two pounds of PB, since the flake size is so much smaller than 700x. No worries, I guess. It's all going the same place, down the barrel.

-John
Old March 26, 2014, 08:25 AM   #8
BOOMST1CK

John,,,, this stuff meters great. I am using the hornady dispenser. I have test rnds in 38, and 357 ready to go, but I cannot get to the range this week. I will repost in this thread when I know more about PB.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:43 AM   #9
40-82

I have used PB occasionally. If I remember correctly it may be a little faster than Unique closer to Green Dot. Data can be found in older Speer and Lyman manuals, which I think are downloadable on the internet. I've used it mainly in 38 Special.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:18 PM   #10
chris in va

I use it for 9mm and 45. Works fine, more complete burn than Universal which always had a few unburned flakes in the action.