The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 29, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
TLeo

Aimpoint Pro...2 thumbs up!

Finally got to the range this morning to zero my new Aimpoint Pro after having to wait almost two weeks. I really like this scope and would recommend it to anyone. Whether it was the lighting at the indoor range or my eyes, I had more trouble zeroing my iron sights than I did the Aimpoint. I did catch myself the first few rounds closing one eye but after I made myself keep both eyes open the Aimpoint was easy to get on target and to zero. Also, thanks to the poster here who posted the link to the adjusted 25 yd zero target awhile back I forget who it was but thanks!. It worked great so I have my AR now zeroed for 50/200 yards which for me will be totally practical.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/52...nt_sights.html
Old August 29, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Fishbed77

IMHO, the PRO makes pretty much every other red dot on the market pointless (unless you MUST have a micro-sized red dot). Mine has been fantastic. Great, clear optics and incredible battery life (has been turned on for almost three years now). The QRP2 mount is exceelnt as well (if a little on the heavy side).

At the $375 price point they can be found at these days, they event make the many budget red dots out there pretty pointless as well.
Old August 30, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
TLeo

Have you noticed any change in dot brightness after this extended period?
Old August 31, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Fishbed77

No. It's as bright as the day I bought it.
Old September 1, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Southside830

2 of my rifles wear the Aimpoint Pro. Best red dot for the $$ bar none.
Old September 3, 2013, 08:35 AM   #6
1DrnkMxR

I have my Aimpoint PRO on for about a year and a half and just checked it with no change in the brightness.
Old September 4, 2013, 12:08 PM   #7
TLeo

I love the ease of aiming with mine so I'm glad to hear the battery lasts as long as advertised. Thanks
Old September 4, 2013, 12:23 PM   #8
IdahoG36

I just bought an Aimpoint Pro and a Vortex VMX-3T magnifier for my newest AR. The Pro is a great optic for the price. I have been very happy with mine.
Old September 4, 2013, 03:17 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

Yes, great optic. I like being able to turn it down to a fine pinpoint dot for sighting in target loads and then turning up for faster shooting closer in. At least with my eyes as the brightness turns up it flares some into a larger dot but it is still a precise dot.

Very rugged and after two years I am on the same battery (I do not leave it on all the time, just at the range). It is a bit large so I got a micro dot for my M1 Carbine. But for the AR15 rail it is a good height and compact.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 5, 2013, 03:38 PM   #10
HopeandChange

I have the PRO and the C3. I like the C3 slightly better because of the brightness settings. But the Pro is cheaper with mount, covers, etc.

The one thing I noticed about the PRO is that the standard mount doesn't center up the Sight on top of the upper. It sits slightly to the right (from the rear). Not sure why their mount does that.

I'm going to get a lower 1/3 mount to match my C3 anyway. But Anyone else notice this when looking through irons or looking down on the sight from straight over the rifle?
Old September 5, 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have the PRO and the C3. I like the C3 slightly better because of the brightness settings. But the Pro is cheaper with mount, covers, etc.
Curious. What is different about the CompC3's brightness settings (aside from the C3's last of NVG compatibility) The PRO is practically identical to the CompM3.

Quote:
The one thing I noticed about the PRO is that the standard mount doesn't center up the Sight on top of the upper. It sits slightly to the right (from the rear). Not sure why their mount does that.
That's odd. My PRO with the QRP2 mount lines up perfectly.
Old September 5, 2013, 05:31 PM   #12
TLeo

My Pro looks aligned/centered as well.
Old September 5, 2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Theohazard

My PRO is centered also.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:50 AM   #14
HopeandChange

I'll try to get a pic of what I'm seeing. I started a thread on this on AR15.com, but my account got "disabled" with no reason listed.

To make clear... this is a legit PRO bought from Brownells... i.e. not an ebay fake.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #15
NWPilgrim

Aimpoint Pro...2 thumbs up!

I have my PRO in its original mount and it is centered over the rail. You're not holding your AR gansta style are you?
Old September 6, 2013, 11:24 AM   #16
HopeandChange

No gang banging here.