The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 7, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Prof Young

I am an Indiana Resident!!!!!!

Found out today that under Indiana law, I can legally buy an Indiana resident hunting and fishing license even though my permanent address in in IL and I have an IL driver's license. For the purpose of hunting and fishing the Indiana DNR defines a resident as anyone who has lived in Indiana for sixty days prior to the purchase of the license. And one can use their social security card instead of their drivers license. This is how the DNR explained it.

""Indiana Resident Definition
A resident is a person who has lived in Indiana continuously for a period of 60 days preceding the date of license or permit purchase. All others are non-residents."

"Therefore, if you have had your residence within Indiana for 60 days you qualify for a resident license. You can also use your social security number to purchase a license, you do not need an Indiana driver's license."

Good news for me.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 7, 2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Patriot86

How do they define "living" having a permanant address? My father has property in WI, IL and IN. Bounces around between the three properties, I wonder if he would qualify for one too.
Old February 8, 2012, 12:32 AM   #3
bitttorrrent

That is interesting. Im in IL, but have property in MI. I just drive thru IN, but I wonder if MI has a similar ruling.

I am up sometimes for several weeks - not 60 days though. Are you up that long or do you just pretend?

I'll have to check out the MI hunting rules.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Just a "heads-up" --

Residency rules can be very complicated and variable. They are often somewhat different from State to State and for different purposes.

One can be a resident of State A for the purposes of a resident hunting license, but not for the purposes of resident tuition at a state college or for the purposes of buying a gun, etc.

There in general is no substitute for doing proper and focused research.
Old February 10, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
hermannr

Some states also disallow a "resident" hunting license to "residents" (fulfil the requirements of being a resident) that already have a "resident" hunting license in another state. (like WA)

However, In WA your resident/non-resident concealed pistol license is exactly the same, just the address is different. And you can OC anyway, and even conceal without a permit if you are participating in a recreational activity (RCW 9.41.60)
Old February 14, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Prof Young

I qualify in spades!

Gunners:
Yes, under the Indiana rules as stated in my first post I am not a pretender, but legally qualify. I work in Indiana during the academic year, but spend my academic breaks and summer in IL. I own property in IN and pay state income tax. So yea, I can get a resident hunting and fishing license.

Now here is the other weird thing. I was at an IN DNR sponsored shooting range. A sign there said it had been determined that it was illegal to bring guns into Indiana from Illinois for the purpose of hunting or target shooting. I still haven't figured out where that comes from. Way crazy.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 14, 2012, 10:46 PM   #7
langenc

In MI, owning prop dont make you a resident. They stress that.

I dont know the number of days that it takes to be a resident.