The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 22, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Microgunner

Remington Mod 1865 Navy value **photos**

We have this Remington Mod 1865 Navy .50 rimfire pistol and are trying to gather info on it such as desirability and value. It is stamped with the anchor on top of the barrel, P over F.C.W. (Frank C Warner I believe) on the right side of the frame and FCW on the left side of the grip stock. Remington Ilion NY USA. (first line) PAT. May 3D Nov 15TH 1864 April 17TH 1866 (second line) on left side of frame. Serial # is 31xx. It has been retrofitted with a 1867 style trigger guard over the sheathed spur trigger (arsenal performed?). It is in 60-70% comdition IMO. What can anyone tell us about it?

Old January 29, 2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Microgunner

BTT
Old January 30, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Remington trigger guard change was not done that way; the plate with the "spur" was removed and a new guard and conventional trigger installed. So the gun has not gone through any military conversion, someone just stuck on a trigger guard from some other gun. I doubt it was any kind of arsenal job because I think an arsenal job would have included the breechblock change.

Those martially marked Model 1865s are scarce and bring a good price, but that "addition", hurts the value, no matter how desirable a trigger guard might be as a practical matter.

Since the spur is still there, I would examine the gun very closely to see what would be involved in removing the trigger guard and restoring the gun to the Model 1865 configuration. If possible, please obtain an opinion from someone conversant with those pistols. If there is a large gun show in your area, take it in and talk to someone who has that type of antique for sale. At the least you might be able to look at an original 1865 model and see how it differs from yours. With luck, the trigger guard might only be soldered on, and be easily removed.

Jim
Old January 31, 2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Hawg

Never mind