The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2008, 03:37 PM   #1
timmy96815

budget scope rings for remington 700

Hi All, My name is Jeff. I just bought a rem 700 sps in 270 winchester. Got a pretty good deal at 440 with shipping + 27 for ffl - 40 rebate. It is my first rifle and I plan on hunting goat, boar, maybe sometimes deer on other islands (I am in oahu).
I bought a pentax gamegetter 4-12 x 42 (I think that is one inch)
Any ideas what rings I should get that would be appropriate for this rifle. Nothing that is gonna break. But I need the cheapest possible.
Thanks in advance
Old September 13, 2008, 06:13 PM   #2
thallub

Quote:
But I need the cheapest possible.

You bought a good rifle. Do not buy cheap scope rings. Every year I install about 75-125 sets of scopes and rings. All of the Simmons, most of the Weaver and some Leupold scope rings are made in China and are junk. I will not install made in China rings on a gun. You often find that those cheap rings are out of alignment and it takes a lot of work with a honing bar to straighten them up.

When you put a scope in a set of cheap rings you stand a chance of bending the tube. Get a set of Millett rings and bases for your gun.
Old September 13, 2008, 07:30 PM   #3
timmy96815

Get a set of Millett rings and bases for your gun.

Thanks thallub for replying. I looked at e-bay and some other sites for millett rings and bases. I'm confused what the sa or la means in the description. I figure rh and lh means right and left handed, Right?

Starting to narrow it down.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:35 PM   #4
sholling

Talley 2-Piece Lightweight. Awesome little rings. Tally measures height different than most. I'm not sure but I think low should work.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:46 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Quote:
I'm confused what the sa or la means in the description.
SA= short action
LA = long action

Your .270 is a long action.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:47 PM   #6
rantingredneck

One of my 700's has leupold rings and bases, the other has nikon rings and bases. Good stuff, not terribly expensive.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:00 PM   #7
timmy96815

Hey Thanks everybody, I have been trying to figure this out. The Talley 2 piece seems pretty simple (which I like)

Hey rantingredneck
Can you tell me which model of nikon and leupold bases and rings you have?

I just checked my scope is 40mm
Old September 13, 2008, 10:04 PM   #8
rantingredneck

They are the standard turn in front windage adjustable rear setup. Leupold STD, not sure the Nikon nomenclature for them, but aside from being different brand names they are nigh identical.

I've got 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC scopes on both my guns one is a .243 (short action), the other is a .30-06 (long action). I think I've got them both in medium height rings.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:06 PM   #9
rantingredneck

I got the Leupold rings and bases years ago at (I think) bass pro shops. I bought the Nikon rings and bases off ebay about six mos ago for less than 30.00 for rings and bases together. I think that even included the shipping.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:11 PM   #10
timmy96815

Hi, I think these will work as bases. Now I'm going to search for rings

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-50017-ST...2em118Q2el1247
Old September 13, 2008, 10:28 PM   #11
ringworm

spend the money on the talleys.
keep your eyes on gunbroker and you can find a set cheap. i found some for a steyr for $25.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:43 PM   #12
timmy96815

O.K. I got it. I am looking at talley's right now. They have others besides the lightweight. I am not that concerned with a little extra weight. What do you all think of the other talley's?
Old September 13, 2008, 10:45 PM   #13
timmy96815

I think I get it. The lightweight are around $40 and the others go over $100
Old September 13, 2008, 11:04 PM   #14
Swampghost

Some people amaze me!

I used to fish with a guy that spent tons of money on equipment and then bought K-Mart line. Another bought K-mart reels with plastic gears. Every time 'the big one' would hit they wondered how they lost it. Duh!

I have my scopes installed by gunsmiths at the GUN SHOP where I bought it. If there's a problem, it's THEIR problem. I just had one replaced and the folks there were apologetic and set me back up, no charge. Much better than dealing with some minimum wage employee at WallyWorld.
Old September 13, 2008, 11:21 PM   #15
ronl

Check out the Burris Signature Zee Rings. No lapping and alignment problems. Won't break the bank either.
Old September 13, 2008, 11:24 PM   #16
sholling

Quote:
Some people amaze me!
It isn't rocket science to install scopes and bases. Especially something like the Talleys. Now if shops took the time to do things really right like lap in the rings it might be a different story but most gunshops can't. They don't have ring laps. Most don't even of torque drivers or levels. They just eyeball it.

Quote:
Check out the Burris Signature Zee Rings. No lapping and alignment problems. Won't break the bank either.
Good call! They are very good but do require Weaver mounts. I'll change my vote. If the OP had a lapping kit the Talleys would be a better choice but without lapping the Burris Signature Zee are a bit better choice.

Last edited by sholling; September 14, 2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:00 AM   #17
Swampghost

Au contraire.

Take it from me, setting up scopes is not for everyone as there are no published torque specs. that I know of. Back when I was a diesel tech and used to torquing things down to 250+ ft./lbs. trashing a scope was pretty easy. Somebody with an office job could easily go the other way.

A few years ago I had a scope crawl on a 30-06. I like LocTite and use it a lot but this one came loose. I now leave everything to more qualified people and concentrate on my shooting skills.
Old September 14, 2008, 01:33 AM   #18
sholling

Quote:
Take it from me, setting up scopes is not for everyone as there are no published torque specs.
The general rule of thumb is the bases are loctited (purple) into a steel receiver at 35inch-lbs, 20-25 for an aluminum receiver. The rule of thumb for rings is 25inch-lbs and no loctite. If they have been properly lapped the contact area is so even that the scope usually won't go any place. But on a very heavy recoiling magnum you may need double width rings to add more gripping surface.

Video instructions for scope installation, scope lapping, and sighting in are available on MidwayUSA. Just keep in mind that you don't need all the toys that they try to sell you.
Old September 14, 2008, 03:00 AM   #19
timmy96815

Thanks everybody for the help. Most likely I will choose the signature zee or the tallys. I will definately be installing the rings and bases and scope myself. Looking forward to learning how to do this and zero the scope.

I'm going hunting for blacktail next weekend (using gramps's savage 250-3000 with open sights). It is a shame my gun isn't here yet. The savage isn't near as accurate but very fun to shoot. I will post or put a link so you all can see the pic (of the remington 700) when I get it.

Jeff
Old September 14, 2008, 03:06 AM   #20
timmy96815

Oh yea by the way, is there a particular weaver scope base that you all recommend. I am on e-bay now. They all say "weaver" but no name brand or much info.
Thanks
Old September 14, 2008, 12:42 PM   #21
sholling

You'll match the base to your rifle. You should be able to pick up Leupold weaver style bases for $8-30 depending on the model. If you can figure out what height you need these might be another excellent choice.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...216&t=11082005
Old September 14, 2008, 10:23 PM   #22
22-rimfire

They mean "Weaver style" not Weaver manufactured. Pay attention to the height of the rings. You'll want to mount your scope as low as possible but still have room for the bolt to clear the scope. It all depends on the objective end diameter of the scope. Warne rings are very good too. (Probably the medium or high mounts with the 42mm objective.) I've used the Burris rings also. They are pretty inexpensive and seem to work just fine.

Many gunshops will mount the scope for free if you bought it there. Some will mount for free regardless if you are a regular customer. They can try different ring heights and see what works.
Old September 15, 2008, 02:02 AM   #23
timmy96815

Hi Everybody, Thanks for all the input. Seeing as it is the first time I am buying rings. I went with the talley 2 piece lightweight low rings. They were simple which is why I picked them and several of you recommended them. Just sent payment to e-bay about $44 with shipping.

Thanks again. I may have more questions later
Old September 23, 2008, 04:22 PM   #24
Jack O'Conner

Millett makes 'em right for a fair price. Check with MIDWAY Shooting Supplies.

Jack