The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Dwight55

Why can't it be done? 45LC & .454

I did the search bit, . . . could not find much.

What do you folks think of using 45 LC dies for reloading .454's?

I used to reload 38's and 357's with the same dies, . . . and when I looked out there I saw that there are two sets of reloading dies for the 45 LC and the .454, . . . but could not figure out why.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 29, 2007, 12:55 AM   #2
Scorch

No reason it shouldn't work. You'll just have to back the seating/crimping die off a bit.
Old April 29, 2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Paul B.

Set the dies up to load .45 LC. Then, make a set of spacers to insert between the dies and the press. I have my .38/.357 and .44 Spl./.44 mag. dies set up that way. Probably the best bet would be to use washers with a 3/4" hole. The problem with those was the ones I found were quite wide. I suppose that you could trim them down some. One might have to be made thinner as well to get the final setting. Yes, it's a bit of work, but it only has to be done once.
Paul B.
Old April 30, 2007, 12:08 AM   #4
KW-Bane

I have also been researching alittle on this same question. It does seem the
.45colt dies should work, like mentioned, back the dies off or use a washer (I like the latter idea ).
There should be plenty enough threads gripping to hold properly after inserting a washer of correct thickness...were only talking about 1/8" or less difference.
I will make a dummy load, setting my press both ways just to see.
Old April 30, 2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Rimrod

As long as the sizer is long enough to accept the longer case it should work.
Old April 30, 2007, 02:51 PM   #6
John in AR

That’s what I do. When I started loading for the .454, I wanted to be able to do both, and talked with Lee’s customer service about it. If you want to load both, you have to use the .45LC dies to do so. During the conversation, it inevitably veered toward talking about loading the .357 and .38spl with the same dies, which I’ve been doing for years, as I suspect most here do. He told me that it’s the same with that combination; that if you want to load both, you have to use the dies intended for the shorter case. Reason was bullet seating & case mouth flaring; the decapping & full-length resizing can be done with either of the two sets, but to get the needed settings for the flaring & seating, you have to use the dies intended for the shorter of the two calibers.

Based on his advice, I ordered the .45LC dies, and have loaded both .45LC and .454 with great results. [FWIW, after talking to him, I checked the turret setup for my old Pro-1000 press that I load .38 and .357 with (ordered it from Lee pre-set-up with the press), and sure enough, the dies are marked .38SPL; and they’ve loaded both calibers for me for years with no more than adjusting the flaring, seating, & crimp settings. I’d never noticed before, but that’s how Lee sets up their .38/.357 setups; with .38 dies.]
Old April 30, 2007, 09:21 PM   #7
cheygriz

I use my Redding .45 Colt dies for .454 with complete satisfaction. No different than loading .357 magnum with .38 spec. dies.
Old May 3, 2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Dwight55

Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded, . . . I had never thought of the spacer idea when I did the 38/357 reloading some 35 years or so back. I just knew how much I had to move the locking ring, . . . and moved it.

Anyway, . . . thanks again, . . . we just may have another hand loader convert (he's the one with the Alaskan .454).

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!