The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 16, 2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Doug Ridley

Surestrike training laser

Anybody use the sure strike Laser to practice at home? Is it really any training help or just another gimmick? It is pretty expensive at a little over a hundred bucks. Opinions please

Last edited by Doug Ridley; January 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old January 17, 2015, 10:52 AM   #2
jmhyer

Perhaps you meant "Surestrike". I have no knowledge or experience but maybe that's why there have been no replies.

On a similar note, I have been considering the Laserlyte product(s). It certainly seems like a great concept.
Old January 19, 2015, 03:48 AM   #3
MadDawg

I have the laserlyte products, well, the trainer for 9mm & .45acp ..
They are great little products. BE ABSOLUTELY PARANOID with these products. Be aware when you put them in; lock up any guns that are similar that you don't have the trainers in.. Swap out the mags, and load the trainer.
Before you start- ensure that you did indeed insert the trainer.. if you stop for a bit of time, re-verify that it's in if you are going to start again... And when done, ensure that you remove it and put it back into the condition that you keep your gun otherwise.

The trainers can teach you what you are doing while aiming/pulling the trigger. I don't think it can aid you if you are limp wristing it. It's really good for point-shoot training; great for the zombie movies /series.. Just be 100% cognizant as to if you have it installed and when you pull it out.

I do need to add more to the system, like the targets. It's kind of expensive if you have more than one caliber, or if you want to train with two guns at once. For example, with two 9's, one for each hand, requires- two trainers. Shooting revolvers is more costly, my revolvers are 6 shot, so I'd need to buy 6 per revolver... If you got your friends or buddies over to train, costs start skyrocketing. The system does nothing for teaching mag changes, etc.

When I say be absolutely paranoid and why: here's why. I train with my carry gun, which makes the most sense to do it with. Just like knowing your gun is empty when dry-firing, you want to ensure that you have the trainer cartridge in before "training"- not real cartridges. And when I am done, I want my carry ammo back in - in case I need it. If I put it down for a few minutes to do something else, I go back and ensure that the trainer is in and practice, or not in, and put back into carry condition. With the trainer in, you cannot chamber a round; but let's say you needed to; well, you could not until you push the trainer back out. The only way for me to check to see if it is in, or not, is to physically look down the chamber as the trainer is rimless.

A negligent discharge is what I'm aiming to avoid. Paranoia gets me there. I might check my gun several times, especially if I put it down, fall asleep[television commercials], get distracted by work, etc.. OTOH, I don't want to leave the gun with the trainer in it, and try to chamber a round because I need it- to find out that I need a cleaning rod to push the trainer out first either.

Last edited by MadDawg; January 19, 2015 at 03:58 AM.