The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 24, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Bermuda Regiment Gives Up Mini-14

According to this website: http://www.bermudaregiment.bm/index....cat&Itemid=223

The only military force to use the Mini-14 (depending on whether you consider RUC to be a military force) is finally turning in its Mini-14s and going to either the G36, SA80A2, or M4. In other news, the Uzis used by the Bermuda Regiment will be replaced by 10.5" M16s.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2
bdareg

When u.s. Planes were grounded in Bermuda on sept11 2001, full of american passengers and the Bermuda regiment provided security I bet they were glad we didn't have paintball guns, or when members of Bermuda's armed forces fought and died in world war 2 alongside british and american troops, I'm pretty sure that airsoft guns wouldn't have cut it there either. Our soldiers train and are qualified at british army institutions such as sandhurst royal military academy, and the school of infantry in wales. Look them up they are the real deal. We are an internal security force, just because we are not fighting an insurgency this does not make us any less professional from other soldiers, and I can guarantee that if the worst happens and there is a proper war Bermudians will once again volunteer to join the fight. Just wanted to educate you and any other person who is in need of a history lesson.

Last edited by bdareg; December 4, 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: moderator request
Old December 4, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
2damnold4this

If they are replacing their Uzis with M4s, it would make sense to replace the Minis with M4s.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:56 AM   #4
ThomasT

Wow. Thirty years with the mini-14 and the only upgrade was to a plastic stock. Not a bad record for a service rifle.

Now I wish bdareg would come back and post his thoughts on the mini as a gun for military use.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:58 AM   #5
bdareg

Just to clear it up, we are in fact switching to the HK G36K, not the M4, this was the result of trials conducted by senior personnel. I have been issued the mini 14 for the last 5 years of my service, and I cannot find fault with this rifle. It is soldier proof which is very important, it is simple to operate and strip. Not all soldiers are mechanically inclined, so simplicity is a bonus. I have seen soldiers run up to a sandy firing point drop and fire off a magazine with sand visible on the action with no stoppages. In my opinion, more important than pinpoint accuracy is a weapons ability to go bang when it is needed, you cannot always guarantee that your personal weapon is 100 percent clean. The ruger just works, plain and simple. The accuracy is also more than acceptable, we have marksmen that can do amazing things with these old rifles. The biggest gripe with them is that they are not as sexy as modern battle rifles. Every soldier wants the latest toy, and we are no different. The decision to change to the G36 was made as the regiment is undergoing changes to become more modern, and a new weapon was on the list. That being said, the G36 is an awesome weapon, and although I love my mini I like my new toy too.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:19 PM   #6
SigMic

I have wanted to get another Mini for a while now, but can't justify the price.
Be nice if they would somehow auction off those Minis and we could buy them!
Old December 4, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7
rickyrick

I apologize for my earlier comment, it was a joke in bad taste.

Thank you for your service.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
UtopiaTexasG19

"Be nice if they would somehow auction off those Minis and we could buy them!"

I'd be willing to go to Bermuda and pick them up for the group.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:53 PM   #9
rickyrick

I'd love to have them too, it's my favorite rifle.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:56 PM   #10
ThomasT

bdareg thanks for an insightful report on the mini. Real world experience beats internet rumor everytime. I really like my mini. I have been looking at buying my first AR and the model I want doesn't seem to be available locally. I would like to see before I buy. I may just get another mini since I have 10 20 round mags on hand already. I understand about getting new toys.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:02 PM   #11
hodaka

Since this started in the Spring, I would guess they are gone by now.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:30 PM   #12
bdareg

No hard feelings Rickyrick, just giving you the facts.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:35 PM   #13
bdareg

We still have all the minis, not sure what is going to happen to them, i bet a lot of collectors would like to get their hands on them as they have been shown tender loving care by our armourers for so long, and they are all engraved with the regiment's crest.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:03 PM   #14
Don H

With Bermuda as a British Overseas Territory and with the UK's antipathy to civilian ownership of firearms, how likely is it that these surplus Mini-14s will find their way to the civilian market?
Old December 4, 2012, 05:37 PM   #15
bdareg

I would imagine they would keep a few minis for ceremonial duties as the g36 is not a pretty parade rifle. But other than that i'm not sure what the plans are. I can find out easily enough and get back to you on that one. Our uzi's are meeting a cruel demise. Due to the increase in gang violence, and the gangs' round of choice being the 9mm the armourers have been ordered to destroy all uzi's by means of a makita chopsaw and then the remains are thrown overboard. The government does not want any 9mm ammo to get into the wrong hands, so with this knee jerk paranoid decision they have decided to destroy some iconic weapons. I cannot see the rugers meeting this same fate.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:42 PM   #16
ltc444

I have had the privilege of serving with a number of soldiers from different nations. I was especially impressed with the Seiks and South Koreans. I never had the opportunity to serve with anyone from Bermuda. If they are Brit trained then they are good.

The US Military has an institutional mind set that non US troops are substandard.

A friend of mine commanded an infantry company which trained with the Hondurans. His impression was they were fine tough soldiers. He learned a lot from them and while he was in country his prayer was that they remained friends.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:48 PM   #17
1 old 0311-1

When u.s. Planes were grounded in Bermuda on sept11 2001, full of american passengers and the Bermuda regiment provided security I bet they were glad we didn't have paintball guns, or when members of Bermuda's armed forces fought and died in world war 2 alongside british and american troops, I'm pretty sure that airsoft guns wouldn't have cut it there either. Our soldiers train and are qualified at british army institutions such as sandhurst royal military academy, and the school of infantry in wales. Look them up they are the real deal. We are an internal security force, just because we are not fighting an insurgency this does not make us any less professional from other soldiers, and I can guarantee that if the worst happens and there is a proper war Bermudians will once again volunteer to join the fight. Just wanted to educate you and any other person who is in need of a history lesson.

True. PLUS since you don't stick your nose in every other countrie's business, and tax your citizens to pay for the 'honor' of being the worlds police force, Mini's should do it.
America could learn a LOT from countrie's that mind their own business.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:20 PM   #18
sirgilligan

bdareg,

I am an owner of a Mini-14 and found your first hand account so interesting I mentioned it over on the Ruger forum.

Thank you for sharing this.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:23 PM   #19
rickyrick

Do you have any pics of these rifles?
Old December 4, 2012, 06:35 PM   #20
bdareg

Bermuda regiment has strong ties with the u.s. Marines, we go to camp lejeune every other year for training purposes. My unit is going to lejeune next year. I have trained with British soldiers, and they are great to work with. As are JDF and canadians. I think every serviceman thinks that their particular branch is the best, ego's are good for morale. At the end of the day we are all people volunteering to do a job that not everyone wants to do, and i respect all soldiers, until they give me a reason not to.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:37 PM   #21
bdareg

I will go through my pictures and see if i can find some close ups of the rifles
Old December 4, 2012, 07:31 PM   #22
zombieslayer

My German friends like their G36's. Hope you do as well.
My mini will always be my favorite semiauto.
Thanks for the info and all, good thread!
Old December 4, 2012, 11:14 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
how likely is it that these surplus Mini-14s will find their way to the civilian market?
Are the Mini-14's full-auto AC-556s? If so, I'm guessing they will never make it past the Bermuda version of "Captain Crunch".
Old December 5, 2012, 06:19 AM   #24
bdareg

They are semi auto only
Old December 5, 2012, 07:57 AM   #25
seeker_two

I know this is off-topic, but what is the issue sidearm? Will the 9mm Uzi ammo still be used for the service pistols?