The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 22, 2002, 01:21 PM   #1
D.W. Drang

Remington Model 24 .22LR

OK, all you JMB fans, I have here on my desk the Remington 24 .22 LR semi-auto rifle, serial #81xxx (with tang-mounted Lyman peep sight) I inherited from my uncle.

Barrel is stamped Remington Arms Company Inc., Successor to the Remington Arms, UMC Co., Inc.,m Remington Ilion Wks., Ilion, NY, U.S.A., Browning's Patent October 16, 1916.

Shot it a couple of times. Not bad, fairly accurate with high velocity ammo.

Remington and Browning both say it's obsolete, and therefore do not have manuals on web sites.
I can disassemble it, including poulling the trigger/bolt assembly (together?!) out, but...
Is there a bolt locking or hold-open device on this thing?

TIA
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old February 23, 2002, 03:06 AM   #2
radom

No bolt lock and they close on a empty chamber when you run them dry too. The action is a bit of a pain to take down to but not really any worse than a 10/22 if you do a complete tear down. Just never shoot one off a bench with shorts unless you have the action well over the bench.
Old February 23, 2002, 07:35 PM   #3
D.W. Drang

Actually, I found disassembly to be pretty easy. The barrel comes off real easy when I push the button and rotate, and all I do is push foraward on the trigger guard and the bottom plate pushes off, taking the bolt with it.
Do I have some rare varient I shouldn't even be taking out of the safe?

I'd already determined that there was no bolt hold-open. Makes a nice Home Firearms Safety gun--unless it's valuable!--because even my fellow instructors looked at it and said "[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]...?"
Old February 24, 2002, 08:40 PM   #4
WalkerTexasRanger

I have one also, serial # 53XXX. Great little gun I just inherited from my Grandfather. Actually, this little gun is what he taught me to shot with 20+ years ago. I am delighted to have it.

These were manuf. by Remington between 1917 and 1935. You have a real antique gun. According to the blue book, value up to about $500 depending upon condition.

Only drawback with mine, as it is so sentimental, this gun will never be fired again. I am simply to afraid of a misfire of some sorts destroying it. There are NO replacment parts avaialble according to Remington.

I have also gone an bought a 241 Speedmaster, the next Rem 22 made. It is the start of a beautiful collection of Rem 22s.

Congratulations, ENJOY!!!!
Old February 26, 2002, 03:50 AM   #5
Jspy

If my memory serves me correctly, isn't this model comparable to the Browning auto 22's. I have two of those in addition to the forerunner FN model. The difference in these are that the FN is unique in that it loads thru a hole on the top of the tang area, and the Brownings thru the side of the stock. The 241 was the next variant, with slightly larger forearm, etc.
Old February 26, 2002, 09:23 PM   #6
WalkerTexasRanger

You are correct, Rem used Brownings patent. You are correct, 241 is the next model and is basically identical to the current Browning semi-auto.

Great little guns!!!!
Old February 27, 2002, 01:29 AM   #7
D.W. Drang

Y'know, I would swear that they didn't have the manual for this when I looked at the web site Friday... Now, of course, it's there, and I have just downloaded it in .pdf format.
Of course, mine doesn't have provisions for a scope, or an "easy adjustment" fitting for barrel to receiver fit. Oh, well.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:44 PM   #8
22LRShooter

Remington Model 24

One VERY IMPORTANT consideration in using the Model 24 is that it was designed and manufactured for with .22LR STANDARD VELOCITY ammo only. Use of High Velocity ammo will cause some serious damage and/or preliminary wear on the innards due to the higher energy output to both the bullet and the rifle block, extractor, etc.

I have been able to find some miscellaneous parts by doing a google for Remington 24. Some were on EBay, some not.

Good luck using it. It was my dad's, now mine, and my grandsons will enjoy using it soon.
Old September 24, 2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Bigfatts

I have one that was made in the 30's and it's a nice little rifle. And I second whoever mentioned using standard velocity ammo. I use the CB Longs and have not had any problems.

Quote:
Do I have some rare varient I shouldn't even be taking out of the safe?
Probably not, but if I recall correctly there were some that were Short only and they tend to bring more. That is if I recall correctly...
Old November 5, 2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Dentite

I was glad to find this thread. I looked at a Rem Model 24 today at a gun shop just for fun. Not in pristine condition, but it looks like it would be fun. This one shoots .22 shorts.

My question is that when I pulled out the magazine cylinder/pushrod from the buttplate there was the metal sleeve or tube and then there was about 3-4" of spring protruding out from the tube with a small 1" or so cap over the spring.

When I returned the spring and tube assembly back into the buttstock and locked it down and turned the gun upside down and pulled the bolt back I could see the spring and the 1" cap and it appeared to be about 1/4-1/2" or so from the angled guide that would guide the round down into the breech of the barrel.

Does this all sound correct?

I just couldn't quite visualize how it worked when looking inside the action with the gun upside down. The bolt would slide back and cock the gun, I was able to dry fire no problem. Safety worked.

The magazine tube/spring assembly thing just looked weird to me and I wanted to make sure it was supposed to be like that before I buy.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

John
Old November 5, 2009, 08:55 PM   #11
Scorch

Yep, that's how they are!
Old November 6, 2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Bigfatts

That sounds right to me. If its a short only model I would snap it up.
Old November 6, 2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Dentite

Thanks for the replys. I think I will snag it if I can get it for $100.

If I get it I'll post some pics and test results.
Old November 6, 2009, 02:37 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
I think I will snag it if I can get it for $100.
Yes, if you could get it for $100, you should definitely buy it. If you could get it for $200, you should definitely buy it. If you could get it for $300, start to look at condition and carefully consider wheter to buy it or not.
Old November 6, 2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Bigfatts

I just sold mine on GB for $370. It was in good shape except for the metal having almost no finish left. A Short only model in decent shape would be worth more than that I would think.
Old November 6, 2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Willie D

Those old Remington .22s are such nice guns; bolt actions as well.

It's a damn shame they can't/won't make them like that anymore.
Old November 6, 2009, 03:00 PM   #17
impalacustom

I have the short model with the Lyman R12 Peep sight on the back and it is great to shoot. One very important thing though is if the cartridge stop is worn out your in trouble. These were staked in and you have to find someone that is very good at a mill in order to fix it. Parts are hard to find but there are a few out there.

They still do make them today they are called Brownings, and the Browning is a bit smaller in the receiver too.
Old November 6, 2009, 09:23 PM   #18
Dentite

Thanks so much for the advice and information. Unfortunately I went back today (less than 24hrs since I first saw it) and it had sold. It was at the local Cabelas so it gets lots of traffic and somewhat snatched it up this morning according to a salesman.

I'm bummed...I think it would have been a fun little rifle.

I'm going to keep my eye out for one now that I know a bit more about them.

I guess I should have gone down there first thing this morning instead of quail hunting...I figured it would last until this afternoon...oh well.

Thanks again,

John
Old November 11, 2009, 08:57 PM   #19
srad

Impalacustom, are you sure it's a Lyman R12? I really want to get a tang peep for my Model 24 but heard that a Lyman R12 won't fit the 24 since it was made for the Rem Model 12 pump action .22
Old November 12, 2009, 02:51 AM   #20
impalacustom

Yep it says R12 right on the underside of it. The R24 will fit as well. The Marbles sight will work too but you have to screw into the wood stock as they have a 3rd screw.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:25 AM   #21
scottey63

Long or Short

I inherited a Remington 24 from my father. I understand that using .22 long and shorts are not interchangable. How do I tell which one my rifle takes?
Old March 13, 2011, 09:13 AM   #22
jlynch65

Remington Model 24

I own one of these in like new condition. The guns are marked for 'short' or 'long rifle' and that's it. I fire only standard long rifes in mine. My serial number is 132XXX and most places say the last serial number was 130425!
Old February 15, 2012, 11:55 PM   #23
woodmike

Model 24

I have one passed down through family, it's a beautiful little rifle. Top of barrel reads: MODEL 24 REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY INC. SUCCESSOR TO REMINGTON ARMS.U.M.C.CO.INC...ILION WKS...BROWNING'S PATENT OCT.24,1916 Below rear sight; .22 SHORT-LESMOK OR SMOKELESS-GREASED, after and below that is stamped "A M <", could be an M or N or K, hard to read.
Underside of barrel has "501", I assume the serial #. I would appreciate any input and guidance on finding history, how to maintain and find the value of this rifle. Obviously I'm new to this, I'll be grateful for any helpful advise.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:59 AM   #24
kraigwy

Quote:
Remington and Browning both say it's obsolete, and therefore do not have manuals on web sites.
Call Remington. I ran into the same problem with my Remington Model 25 (25-20) they have the manuels, they sent me one for my M-25. It was a copy but it's a manual.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 19, 2012, 06:29 AM   #25
woodmike

Model 24

Thanks kraigwy for taking the time to reply. I'll try again, but I didn't have much luck searching for Remington Model 24 info online. Good advise to just call Remington and ask them for help/info...I'll give that a shot. I'd still like to get an idea of the value of this rifle...if this isn't an appropriate question for this forum I'd appreciate any guidance on where I should look for market values of items like this. Thanks again, MW