The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 21, 2017, 01:41 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Universal Muzzle Erosion Gauge

I'm looking for some kind of tool I can take with me to a show or my LGS and use to do a poor man's inspection for muzzle wear on milsurps; i.e. sticking a bullet point first into the muzzle and seeing how much bullet actually shows between the crown and neck of the case. I know it's not a perfect system but it does seem to get you in the ballpark.

Right now I usually carry an unfired (I dumped the powder out of it) HXP round with me to check .30-06 caliber rifles but that doesn't help me a 6.5mm Swedish Mauser or 7.5x55 Swiss K31. Short of obtaining 1 round of every milsurp caliber and rendering it inert (which is a hard sell to myself especially when I have to buy 20 rounds at a time for a firearm I may not even own) is there a better way to do this?

Thanks?
Old October 21, 2017, 01:48 PM   #2
OzeanJaeger

Buy a $20 digital caliper. The back side has inside jaws that should work on anything larger than a .22.
Old October 22, 2017, 11:56 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Inside micrometer. A $20 digital caliper won't go deep enough, but it'd be close.
"...buy 20 rounds at a time..." You buy one round of each cartridge you want at a cartridge collector's show. Not all collector stuff trades on the precious metals market. Doesn't really need to be DP'd either. Weapons techs doing a field test use(d) a live round.
"...7.5x55 Swiss..." Is a .308 calibre. Knowing the actual bullet diameters of milsurp cartridges will help. 7.62 x 39 and 54R are not .308's. They're .311".