The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Venom1956

Help with high standard

I need to stop killing time in gun shops.

So i found an old High Standard 'standard' model riot gun for sale, Thing is i know little about shotguns and even less about high standard ones. Is there anything thing I should examine or check out prior to purchase? or just avoid it all together? he's asking 400.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 30, 2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Kilrain

I have two, they are very well built and super smooth, the smoothest pump action I've ever owned or felt. I don't know of any particular weaknesses or failure points of them and many parts are still available, although stocks are kinda hard to come by sometimes(at least when I needed one it was).

It's action is very similar to the Mossberg 500/590 series and it's predecessor the Remington 31. My understanding is the High Standards were actually built under/based on a different patent but the similarities are so striking that perhaps the High Standard is an "homage" to the Model 31......

$400 seems a bit high to me, but I suppose regional availability and condition are factors. Is there something about it that concerns or are you just asking in general?
Old March 31, 2015, 05:23 AM   #3
bspillman

I own a flight king in 12 gauge. Hi Standard made some of the best pumps and worst semi auto shotguns. I think you over paid I paid 175 for my flight king at a gun show and see them for the same price at different gun shows. But mines not a riot gun it's a field/trap model.
Old March 31, 2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Scorch

Way too much. Spend the money on a Mossberg, you get essentially the same action, plus removable barrel and parts availability.
Old March 31, 2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Kilrain

Quote:
Way too much. Spend the money on a Mossberg, you get essentially the same action, plus removable barrel and parts availability.
The barrels on both my High Standards are removable....?
Old April 1, 2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Venom1956

it just was one of those few shotguns that just felt right... idk how to explain it plus the pump was so smoooth.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 1, 2015, 10:18 PM   #7
buckhorn_cortez

I have a High Standard 16 gage pump that I bought in 1964 for $75 if you wanted an idea of what they cost new.
Old April 1, 2015, 11:05 PM   #8
Kilrain

$75 in 1964, adjusted for inflation, is $567.88 in 2015. That's pretty crazy.....
Old April 3, 2015, 04:11 PM   #9
Venom1956

well imma go see if i can get him to move a bit on it. will report back.
Old April 3, 2015, 04:33 PM   #10
Kilrain

I paid $145 for one of mine and $320 for another, for reference, both were purchased off Gunbroker. They are rare in my area. FYI.
Old April 3, 2015, 05:04 PM   #11
Kilrain

Does it look like this one?

Old April 4, 2015, 12:43 AM   #12
Venom1956

yep about exactly.
Old April 4, 2015, 10:34 PM   #13
Kilrain

Sweet. I think I paid $325 for this one. Once again, regional availability is a factor, as is the "how bad do you want it factor." $400 seems high, but only you know what you are willing to pay.
Old April 8, 2015, 11:42 AM   #14
Venom1956

well i got it for 375 otd that includes tax and bgc.
Old April 8, 2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Kilrain

Sweet! Enjoy it, they are fantastic old guns.
Old April 14, 2015, 06:43 PM   #16
Nickel Plated

Quote:
Spend the money on a Mossberg, you get essentially the same action
I don't know about that. Just because the High Standard has a similar shell carrier design does not make it the same action. The High Standard's action really has more in common with a Winchester Model 12 than a Mossberg. And it blows the Mossberg out of the water as far as smoothness goes.
Old April 14, 2015, 11:48 PM   #17
Kilrain

Quote:
The High Standard's action really has more in common with a Winchester Model 12 than a Mossberg.
Not really, the High Standard has zero to do with the Model 12. The High Standard, as I recall, was designed in the late 40s but definitely can trace it's design lineage(an homage if you will) to the Remington 31, which is where the Mossberg 500/590 series originated. In turn, the Remington 31 is a modification of the Remington 17, which was, itself, the design that was used by Ithaca to create the Model 37.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Venom1956

Well finally got a day off and got it home. I really enjoy it in the sun the finish is a bit more worn then I expected spots of rust here and there but it doesn't really bother me. I'll clean it up with some frontier 45 and leave it worn. definitely need a good cleaning hopefully the bores good looks like some old carbon in there.

it fits my small pefectly which many shotguns fail to do And it cycles so very smooth. Almost flipped and got the repro 1887 (terminator) but the hi standard was to smooth.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get swivels for it? I wanna put a nice leather sling on it. Keep it classy.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:17 PM   #19
Don'tkillbill

Coolness factor. The gun Steve McQueen use in the Getaway is a High Standard Riot with rifle sights.

The High Standard Riot is my favourite shotgun and its the smoothest pump gun I have. It was heavily inspired by the Model 31 Remington and so was the Mossberg. I suspect this shotgun will give you generations of fun and your kids will have it when you are gone. The Model 31 evolved from the Remington 17 pump which also fathered the Ithaca 37 when patent protection lapsed.

When I kick 3 guns don't get sold. My 92 Winchester, S&W 586 and my High Standard all go to the grandkids that are yet to be born if she has 4 I hope they keep a 1911
Old April 19, 2015, 12:51 AM   #20
Venom1956

Updates
made this custom front swivel not sure if I like it yet. what do u guys think?
Old April 29, 2017, 08:09 AM   #21
LRS1951

High Standard Riot Gun Like This - Need Sling Help

Newbie here.

I have a decent collection overall. I specifically have a "High Standard Riot Gun" (12-gauge). It has an full extension tube on a 18 1/8" barrel (making it an 18/6+1). It looks just like the last one posted. It has almost no markings on it (High Standard, city / state, proofed for 12-gauge 2 3/4" shells, serial # on left side receiver #3211???.... no double letter date letters on barrel, nothing else). And it has rifle sights versus a bead.

I have had this shotgun (bought used but mint condition, still in excellent shape) about 30 years (maybe 35???).

It has a mounted recoil pad and a lower sling swivel on base of shoulder stock, but no swivel mount on front end. I have looked at a number of swivel assemblies that attach to the feed tube in front of the pump action handle, but would prefer something that mounts to the end of the feed tube as shown in the modification here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1113_zpsk0q2xqc7.jpg (16.1 KB, 42 views)
Old May 1, 2017, 11:09 PM   #22
CWO4USCGRET

ah yes....

the High Standard Riot Gun(s)

I have two; paid $150 each; one is a bead front sight, the other rifle sights. One is a former police gun; marked CPD #5 for Chesterfield (Township, MI) Police Department: