The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 16, 1999, 11:27 AM   #1
fal308
Staff Alumnus

June 20 issue of Shotgun News has a Mike Venturino article titled "Cartridge Conversions: Back and Better than Ever". The article deals basically with original and reproduction Richards and Richards/Mason conversions of Colt C&B revolvers.
Old June 17, 1999, 11:28 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I noticed that Mike mentioned something very few have, that the conversions are weaker than a top strap type revolver and loads should be kept down.

The percussion versions have less problem because the entire cylinder recoils putting the pressure on the center of the recoil shield. But a conversion is a cartridge gun, so the cartridge case moves back, putting pressure further up on the recoil shield and exerting more leverage in a way that can bend the frame. Of course, the modern guns are steel, not wrought iron, so the problem is less, but it is still there.

Jim
Old June 18, 1999, 02:24 AM   #3
Gunslinger

I'm of the opinion that cartridges for the cartridge conversion should only be loaded with blackpowder. Do ya'll think I'm being overly cautious?
I love the ease of reloading compared to the percussion method but still don't like the blackpowder clean up. I know it's lazy but it really does limit the amount I'm willing to shoot my blackpowders.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old June 18, 1999, 08:56 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gunslinger
That's why my Vaqueros get a workout while my repro 1851 Navy and repro 1860 Remington sit in the safe Got your email- we can tick off everyone by putting my Hemi in it.
Jim
I also noticed what you stated. It's not often that one reads anything besides a glowing report of any firearm.
Old June 19, 1999, 01:01 PM   #5
Gunslinger

I love the balance, feel and most importantly the major fun factor of the percussion revolvers. But oh that dreaded clean up. Yet there are some that consider that as part of the fun.

(fal a Hemi in a Camaro. Isn't there some sort of law against that? Too perverse! )

I'm sure there are writers that occassionally write an unfavorable review of a new firearm. However we never (seldom) see them in print because that publication needs the advertising revenue from the manufacture.

Six months or so back I was comparing new conversion prices and at the time Traditions were the best. An 1851 Navy in .44 Colt had a dealer cost of $225. Now since all of my single actions *have* to be in pairs that translated to (in my case) $550. Not too bad for a brace of cowboy guns. For comparison dealer cost for a Ruger Vaquero at the same time was $279.

FWIW

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.