The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 22, 2009, 01:40 PM   #26
fisherman66

Very nice! That's not a rust blue finish is it? Is that ceracoat? Have you shot it yet?
Old March 22, 2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Fox1

Quote:
fisherman66

Very nice! That's not a rust blue finish is it? Is that ceracoat? Have you shot it yet?
Ummm...

Don't know and don't know.

I have fired it.

8 rounds into a dirt backstop.

Mostly just to get a feel for it and work the triggers a bit.

Shooting with just the front trigger is way too hard.
Just too much pull.

The hair trigger was adjusted way too light. (By me)
I was taught that your shot should surprise you a bit; this one shocked the hell out of me. My brain was processing "feel for the trigger" and the very second my finger made contact, it was firing. I tightened it up a bit and had a friend help me boresight it. I was going to go out and shoot some today but it might rain.
I just don't want to get a brand spanking new rifle wet already.

Last edited by Fox1; March 22, 2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Edit: Spelling
Old March 22, 2009, 02:13 PM   #28
fisherman66

It turned out very well and I think the walnut looks fantastic.

I've been mulling over a single set trigger for some time. I've a friend who put one in a Ruger #1 and he said the same thing...by the time the finger finds the trigger it has already fired...SURPRISE BREAK!

I would use the standard non-set position for hunting and the set trigger for novelty, but it's hard to justify $300 for a novelty and may end up with a run of the mill trigger job, but with it breaking at 4 lbs I am not even sure I need anything at all for a hunting rig.

Thanks for sharing the build process and I look forward a detailed range report.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:38 PM   #29
Fox1

Range Report

Well I took it out in about 25 mph winds today; fortunately it was a tail wind.

Normally I would shoot at 25 yards, just to get to paper, then back up to 50 yards, keep it on paper, then out to 100 yards and zero it. Today I was shooting to "zero" and to mess with the hair trigger adjustment.

I don't have a good rest and our range just has a few old inner tubes filled with sand so, between the lack of good sandbags and the wind, I was moving around the target a bit. (Who cares? I was still shooting!)

After I got the scope dialed in a bit and got the hair trigger tightened up some, it was shooting more like I had envisioned when I started this project.
Today, after setting the set trigger, I can actually put my finger on the hair trigger and know I'm on it without actually shooting. This rifle is a dream to shoot! Once I have my sight picture, slow my breathing, touch the trigger, stop breathing and just barely squeeze, I've got a shot.
It will probably take me a little longer to get it zeroed at 100 yds. but I don't mind a bit because this rifle is just fun to shoot, and that's what it's all about.
Old March 28, 2009, 08:12 PM   #30
publius

Cool rifle, I like the double barrel receiver lever used on the floorplate.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:12 PM   #31
ptbrophy

Good luck with the gun,it's a great looking firearm.I enjoyed the step by step photo's.
I always admired people who can start with nothing and build something from scratch.
Old July 8, 2009, 08:58 AM   #32
spystyle

Hey, I stumbled onto this thread via Google while looking for into on that Nikon scope - but DANG ! What a fancy rifle Nice job
Old July 8, 2009, 12:49 PM   #33
Goatwhiskers

The correct way to use the set trigger is to not put your trigger finger on the front of the trigger in the conventional manner. Rather, place your index finger on the SIDE of the trigger after it has been set. That way the slightest twitch fires the gun while the sights are in perfect alignment. I used to have an 8mm Mauser with a set trigger set at 6 oz. It was a lot of fun, but I stupidly let it get away.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:51 PM   #34
roberto mervicini

Hi, congratulation on your new sporter with double set trigger.
I really like this system, I own several rifles and 3 are with double set trigger: .300win.mag. build on a mauser 98 comercial action, . 308win. build on a yugo mauser action, and 8mm mauser vintage sporter.
I find that they are great to shoot with accuracy since once set with the rear trigger the front one could be set to fire at minimal pressure, as little as few oz.
ONE WORD OF CAUTION: once you set the rear trigger, if you do not fire with the front one and you decide to open the bolt and remove the cartridge from the chamber YOUR SETTING MECANISM IS STILL ARM AND IT REMAIN ARM UNTILL THE FRONT TRIGGER IS PULL. So if you set the trigger and for wathever reason you do not take the shot, once the rifle is unloaded always disingage the setting by pulling the front trigger. This could be done with the bolt open or without the bolt in the rifle.
Old February 14, 2010, 09:51 PM   #35
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, the German WWII military acceptance stamp puts paid to speculation about a possible Mauser sporter.

Jim
Old February 14, 2010, 10:22 PM   #36
Fox1

Quote:
Jim Keenan

FWIW, the German WWII military acceptance stamp puts paid to speculation about a possible Mauser sporter.

Jim
Jim, what do you mean about "paid to speculation" about it being a sporter?
Old February 15, 2010, 09:30 AM   #37
jaguarxk120

Set triggers weather double set or single set, as on the Ruger, are the tool of the precision rifleman. Having to find the trigger after setting it is not in the best form in shooting. It shows that you don't know what your doing or your rifle.

I have a Ruger No1 V with a single set trigger and it works flawlessly, just as it was designed to. But I shoot varmint rifles and my heavy trigger is 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. many are set to less than one pound. If you learn to shoot a light trigger your shooting will improve greatly. The lighter triggerpull allows you to concentrate on the target and bullet placement.

A four pound trigger is OK if it breaks like a piece of glass with no creep in it.