The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1
droptrd

My STI Spartan V Range report

Ive put 200 rds through my 1st 1911. The STI Spartan V. Functioned perfectly expect for one stovepipe out of the last 50 rds. All ammo used was PMC 230gr FMJ.

The 1st mag grouping was a little loose and 3-4 inches left at 10 yds. Every magazine after that the groupings got tighter and closer to POA. By the end of the 1st box of PMC most holes were touching and just a C-hair to the left of POA. Most likely me and not the pistol. The sights on this thing are great. Fiber optic front and adjustable rear. I havent adjusted the rear yet and probably wont until a few hundred more rds with some high quality ammunition. The trigger is a little heavy but very crisp.

The Spartan is the most accuarate pistol I own - already, after only 200 rds. Im still getting used to gripping the pistol and the trigger. Its definately not my glock The recoil is much less than my 23. Shoots better too.

The Parkerized finished is , well, I dont really care for parkerized finishes. My Silicon cloth is my friend.

After contacting ARitis i was kinda bummed to find out i caught 1911itis.

I love this pistol
Old March 14, 2013, 06:57 AM   #2
qwiksdraw

The problem is, the more you shoot your Spartan the more that condition gets worse. My Spartan V 9MM has me suffering seriously from STI-tis real bad. I don't think I'm going to get over it.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:31 AM   #3
loose_holster_dan

yup. mine is 9mm, so the recoil is next to nothing and i can get tight groups ridiculously fast.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 14, 2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

My only complaint with the spartan v is the cutout on the trigger.

It only becomes a small safety issue, mainly because it is possible for something small like a nail to get into the cutout, but what are the chances!

Wouldn't stop me from owning one.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
KyJim

Another fan of the Spartan (9mm). It's one of my favorite handguns.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Martowski

My Spartan V 9mm is the most accurate 9mm I own. The only changes I plan on making is swapping the trigger for a Cylinder & Slide short solid unit, as well as possibly swapping out the front sight (the hole for the fiber optic sight was drilled slightly off center on mine, which isn't a big deal besides being slightly annoying).