The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 9, 2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Pops1085

Ar-15 Handguard Questions

Hi I am pretty new to the world of the black rifle and I bought a UTG quad rail for about 40 bucks but I decided that I didn't like all that extra weight and have opted for a Magpul Moe handguard that is about half the price. Anyways is all this handguard changing going to hurt my rifle? I had to save up for a while and this gun's my baby. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS. I don't have the delta ring tool that my buddies are always talking about
Old December 9, 2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Xfire68

Trying to change the hand guard without the delta ring tool is a giant pain and you can mar your rifle.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:44 AM   #3
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I'm pretty sure the only thing you would have to worry about would be a loose-er hand guard with all the compression of the delta ring spring, but even then that would take quite a few compressions. I don't have a tool either and I have swapped out hand guards just fine on two separate builds. Removal is harder than installation with the MOE hand guards in my experience, but if you have someone to give you an extra hand it's a breeze.

ETA: Smart choice ditching the UTG quadrail. It looks cool but you really can only use the bottom and side rails for a light and a grip.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
9mm1033

YouTube had a video of a guy using rubber handle channel lock pliers to remove his hand guards. Or, you could use tooth brushes. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELSsswumXrQ
Old December 9, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
scsov509

Quote:
Trying to change the hand guard without the delta ring tool is a giant pain and you can mar your rifle.
I've changed or removed standard AR hand guards many, many hundreds of times and have never used nor wished I had a delta ring tool. It's not that difficult to do, and I've never had problems with plastic hand guards marring my rifles. How is it even possible to mar a metal rifle with a plastic MOE hand guard?

OP, I'd not worry about damaging your delta ring removing your hand guard. That's what it's designed for, and you're not going to wear it out taking the hand guards on and off even regularly. Worst case scenario, if you could find a way to wear out your delta ring, a brand new assmebly will cost you $10 and take less than 15 minutes to install.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:26 AM   #6
Justice06RR

The handguard removal tool is usually only about $15. Its a handy device to have if you change handguards once in a while.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Pops1085

Hey thanks I appreciate the responses. This Moe handguard is pretty sweet and that video was awesome! I actually lol'd when I saw they were just toothbrushes. But yea I am probably just being a little overly cautious with this gun haha it's hard to not be worried about your favorite toy

Tags
ar-15 reciever , handguards