The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 22, 2011, 12:17 PM   #276
stove6

Honestly friends, I am not certain that I could find a steady supply of.32 H&R, .32 Long and 327 magnum! I found them to be more challenging to procure.
I do know that there are lots of bullet configs and loads avail. .38 and .357 to equal or out-perform the .327 Mag. Is there not??
I feel that .22 WMR pistol offers a viable alternative to those who do not wish to reload.

I must be missing the boat on this innovative caliber!

Last edited by stove6; June 22, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old June 22, 2011, 12:52 PM   #277
Sevens

Quote:
why would anyone WANT...
totally odd ball calibers...
There are enough...
If you are so excited...
I don't understand this obsession...
before I would EVER waste...
Why all the hostility?

What's the point of any or all of this that we do?
Seriously -- what's the purpose of you coming here to discuss this -- does it keep you awake at night?

I'll tell you what I don't understand and never will... it's all these closed-minded fudds who think their poor lives are so complicated by calibers. "I wanted to simplify and go to less calibers so I have less ammo to stock" Sheeeesh. Like it's a world of trouble keeping a couple of boxes of ammo handy for a range day.

YOURS is a sickness. You can't come to grips with the motivation for doing it so everyone that does must be wrong. It's moronic, self-centered thinking. Hell, it's not really thinking at all.

You do whatever you want to do... but the idea that you can't understand what drives hobbyists to do the things they enjoy is squarely a mental and emotional issue that you clearly have.

We enjoy trying different things. I can load a box of 50 screaming 85 grain XTP's in .327 at double the velocity of many .38 Special loads and I can do it for $9.95 at my load bench. With tools that I already had and no investment in the new caliber. Guys who are casting those little slugs are spending probably FOUR DOLLARS a box for ammo. Or less.

Go sell off everything you own and go through the rest of your sad life with a four-inch .357 Magnum. Don't worry about everyone else, because we just won't care about you, your "issues" and what you are missing with your head buried in the sand.

Last edited by JohnKSa; June 22, 2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: ..
Old June 22, 2011, 12:57 PM   #278
zfk55

+1!

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 22, 2011, 01:51 PM   #279
Boberama

I think the 327 was a good idea that unfortunately went nowhere.

Six rounds instead of five and 115 gr at 1325 ft/s from a 3 inch SP101.

That's better than 9mm +P+ albeit with a slightly smaller bullet.

But that bullet will also have greater sectional density.

I thought it was a shame it went nowhere.

Unlike the stupid .45 GAP which deserved to fail.
Old June 22, 2011, 02:12 PM   #280
Sevens

I say it's too early to call this round dead and use terms like "went." I know the .327 Federal is still alive because I made a hundred rounds of it yesterday. Tried some 100gr XTP's and Accurate #7. We'll see how they do!
Old June 22, 2011, 02:16 PM   #281
zfk55

With 1,000 brass bought from Freedom arms and some 400 pounds of wheelweights left in the buckets, mine aren't going to the grave anytime soon.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 22, 2011, 02:27 PM   #282
stove6

Quote:
Why all the hostility?
Use of upper case letters does not always denote ANGER!

This was my point, though vehemently misunderstood.

There are enough bullet configs and loads avail. in .38 and .357 to equal or out-perform the .327 Mag.

Quote:
"closed-minded fudds"
That's Mr. ELMER Fudd to you

Quote:
YOURS is a sickness.
You sound like Hillary Clinton here. Seriously...
I have few calibers, but I strive for MOUNTAINS of AMMO!!

Quote:
a mental and emotional issue that you clearly have.
Oooohh.. Dr FREUD!!! Come on now! Didn't know you were the resident shrink.

Quote:
We enjoy trying different things. I can load a box of 50 screaming 85 grain XTP's in .327 at double the velocity of many .38 Special loads and I can do it for $9.95 at my load bench. With tools that I already had and no investment in the new caliber. Guys who are casting those little slugs are spending probably FOUR DOLLARS a box for ammo. Or less.
Oooh.. a reloader! Me too..
Quote:
"your "issues" and what you are missing with your head buried in the sand."
Please do not cry. You can borrow my hankie, if you'd like.

Last edited by JohnKSa; June 22, 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: ..
Old June 22, 2011, 02:38 PM   #283
zfk55

Ohhh yeah! Making friends and influencing people.

Latigo

Old June 22, 2011, 02:56 PM   #284
L_Killkenny

I'm not even gonna address Stove's 10yo type rant but instead gonna go with this:

Quote:
I thought it was a shame it went nowhere.
You act as if it's got both feet in the grave when it indeed it's just in it's infancy. It will be around longer than any of us on this board, legal issues permitting, and I'll bet my house on that. Don't feel bad about being so blatantly wrong. People have been poo-pooing .32's for years and yet they persist.

LK
Old June 22, 2011, 03:33 PM   #285
stove6

OK.. Ok!!!! HERE's THE "POLITICALLY CORRECT VERSION OF WHAT I SAID EARLIER."

Honestly friends, I am not certain that I could find a steady supply of.32 H&R, .32 Long and 327 magnum! I found them to be more challenging to procure. Must I reload in order to enjoy a steady supply of rounds?
My, My! I do know that there are lots of bullet configs and loads avail. in .38 and .357 to equal or out-perform the .327 Mag. Is there not??

I must be missing the boat on such an innovative caliber.
There is going to have to be a reckoning of just what fun I am missing out on!
Old June 22, 2011, 03:39 PM   #286
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The Taurus rep did not give me a reason for discontinuing the M327, so I appreciate the info on that. I'm seriously considering buying one as a local shop still has some new ones in stock, and a pistol range on site, so I can immediately check the extraction issue after purchase.
Hydrashocks and the American Eagle load will give you stiffer extraction than the Gold Dot loads (in my experience). ...And it IS a high pressure cartridge, so don't be expecting drop-free extraction with factory loads. If there are any tool marks that will cause issues, you should be able to feel it.

Be sure to clean the revolver well, before you shoot it.

Aw, Stove6... Why did you have to edit your post while I was typing this? I was planning on making some comments.

Edit:
Aha! Browser cache win!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove6
Honestly, why would anyone WANT to shoot a gun that chambers
.32 H&R and .32 Long anyway? They are totally odd ball calibers
that are about as common as hen's teeth.
"What about 327 Ballistics though?"

There are enough bullet configs and loads avail. .38 and .357 to equal or out-perform the .327 Mag.
If you are so excited about shooting a .32 caliber pistol, you might as well get a .22 WMR pistol. You'll actually be able to find ammo that is somewhat affordable.

I don't understand this obsession with trying to get these odd, rare calibers that you cannot find ammo for or are difficult, if not impossible, to get!

It's like the craze over the 6.8 SPC and 300 Blackout in the AR family.
Both are GREAT, it's just that you can do the SAME things using COMMON calibers like .308 and .223.

I would buy a 6.8 SPC before I would EVER waste my $$$$ on a .327 Mag.
But hey, it's a free country! Buy what you want..
It's pretty obvious, if you read this thread 11 page thread, that I see a lot of utility and real performance in the .327 Federal. Completely ignoring that.... I still like "odd" calibers and cartridges. Very frequently, I find unpopular cartridges to be the perfect tool for a job. When everyone else around me was jonesing for a Mega-Magnum to soothe their magnumitis, I sought out a 7.62x54R and a .30-40 Krag for Elk duties. (Though I really wanted an old Remington in 8x57mm.)

It's not about theoreticals and how things look on paper. It's all in how you use it, and how useful it is TO YOU. I understand ballistics and terminal performance. To me, .38/.357 is a waste, when the .32 H&R/.327 Federal will do; and any 'magnum' is a waste, when .243, .30-30, .30-40, or 7.62x54R will do perfectly well. However... There are many things I can do with my .44 Rem Mag, that the .327 will never be able to do.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; June 22, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:55 PM   #287
secret_agent_man

Actually, the 327 MAG may have been doomed to an early extinction when Buffalo Bore recently brought out those 32 H&R MAG 130 grain wadcutters doing 1122 fps from a three inch barrel and generating 371 ft-lbs ME.

Just so happens BB couldn't post the results from a two inch barrel on account the Taurus 85 test gun was sidelined with, uh, keyholing and other problems. "Nuff said about dat.

Knocking off 100 fps for that last inch still leaves 308 ft-lbs of ME. Well above a 38 Special and right in there with the lower nines.

If Smith would only reintroduce the 431 and 432 15 oz. Airweight PD's.
Old June 22, 2011, 04:15 PM   #288
stove6

Quote:
Aha! Browser cache win!
Oh NO... Not the Browser CACHE !!!!

Quote:
I still like "odd" calibers and cartridges. Very frequently, I find unpopular cartridges to be the perfect tool for a job. When everyone else around me was jonesing for a Mega-Magnum to soothe their magnumitis, I sought out a 7.62x54R and a .30-40 Krag for Elk duties.
I admire your intelligent assessment. I like the 7.62 x 54r alot and would love to have one with a Bull barrel.
I worked in a gun store and we had just started carrying the 327 Mag. pistol. People came in occassionally to request a box of 327 Mag ammo; it was a pretty rare thing to sell.

Wish that all calibers were as cheap as surplus 8mm, 54r and NATO calibers (308 and 223) I would be snagging a K31 Swiss and a 6.5 Swedish Ljungman.
Old June 22, 2011, 04:33 PM   #289
zfk55

Stove6, if you think that either the 9mm or the .38 special out ballistics the .327, you'd better do some homework. At 1,350 fps and 450 ME? I don't think so! Its right at the bottom end of the .357 Mag specs.
Oh well........... Great thread. That's all for me.

Latigo

Old June 22, 2011, 04:52 PM   #290
stove6

Hi Zfk..

It sounds like the 327 does a good job..
But look at this. The .40 SW is the next size up from the 9mm.
From Hodgdon's reloading data center:

Here is the 327 Magnum
100 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .312" 1.450" 12.2 1419 31,400 PSI 13.2 1525 FPS

Here is the .40 SW:
135 GR. NOS JHP Hodgdon Longshot .400" 1.125" 8.5 1241 25,100 PSI 11.5 1434 FPS

Pretty close numbers for a Magnum compared with a Non-Magnum.
And we are talking more sectional density with a 10mm projectile compared to a .32 bullet, too.

Have a good one!
Old June 22, 2011, 05:58 PM   #291
Sevens

Terrific backpedal. Could have saved us both time, but hey, water under the bridge and all that nonsense.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:00 PM   #292
Sevens

In the middle of this, let us not forget that a "magnum" is a bottle of champagne and a marketing trick. If all you need to disparage a cartridge is to point to it's "magnum" moniker, why not go straight to the .32 H&R Magnum? Easier to stomp.

Have a truly happy little rainbow day.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:53 PM   #293
Low Friction

Charter 327 Target

Too bad about Charter Arms dropping the 4", 24.5oz 327 target. It's got a little kick but in the 4" configuration it has some sweet ballistics. Muzzle energy North 500 ft·lbf and muzzle V over 1500fps for the 100AE ammo. I like it as a camping/hiking kit gun. The locked-up cylinder/bbl gap is .003" so it's getting most of the energy down the bbl. It's the smallest 4" bbl around.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA Target.jpg (62.7 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by Low Friction; June 24, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Fix picture
Old June 22, 2011, 07:06 PM   #294
stove6

Quote:
hey, water under the bridge and all that nonsense...
Roger that.
All in a day's 'Misunderstandings.'
Old June 22, 2011, 07:15 PM   #295
Sevens

Quote:
Too bad about Charter Arms dropping the 4", 24.5oz 327 target. It's got a little kick but in the 4" configuration it has some sweet ballistics. Muzzle energy North 500 ft·lbf and muzzle V over 1500fps for the 100AE ammo. I like it as a camping/hiking kit gun. The locked-up cylinder/bbl gap is .003" so it's getting most of the energy down the bbl. It's the smallest 4" bbl around.
I've often thought exactly what you expressed here, but never put the words together as well as you just did. And three thousandths gap-- awesome, but almost sounds a bit too close and asking for grief after a bit of fouling.

I have a problem wrapping my head around the idea of buying a Charter... but I'd probably still do it just because of the chambering and the barrel length and the fact that it's double action. I think they were absolutely on to something with this configuration and as so many others have said... if S&W were to build something similar in a k-frame, many of the .327 enthusiasts (however small that number may be) would eat them up.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:37 PM   #296
Low Friction

The .003 gap is with the trigger pulled. The free gap is about .009. It's a neat little gun for the price.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:52 PM   #297
BillCA

I think you simply miss the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stove6
It sounds like the 327 does a good job..
But look at this. The .40 SW is the next size up from the 9mm.
From Hodgdon's reloading data center:

Here is the 327 Magnum
100 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .312" 1.450" 12.2 1419 31,400 PSI 13.2 1525 FPS

Here is the .40 SW:

Pretty close numbers for a Magnum compared with a Non-Magnum.
And we are talking more sectional density with a 10mm projectile compared to a .32 bullet, too.
Your comparison is about as valid as my comparing to:
210 GR SPR GDHP Alliant Blue Dot .410" 1.575" 6.0 1425 fps 33,800 psi (947 ft-lbs)

If mere velocity or ballistics were to win here, we'd all have .41 Magnums.

You also miss the point when you said.
Quote:
My, My! I do know that there are lots of bullet configs and loads avail. in .38 and .357 to equal or out-perform the .327 Mag. Is there not??

Energy Comparison: .327 Federal Magnum vs. Other calibers

The chart says it all. Not only does the .327 outclass the .38 Special, it out-classes the 9mm too. The chart seems to indicate the .327 is on a par with the .40 S&W and the "lower end" of the .357 spectrum. In reality it exceeds the .40 S&W and is equivilant to a mid-range .357 load because its ballistics are measured with a 3-inch barrel as opposed to a 4, 5 or 6-inch barrel.

Comparing the .327 to the .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP crosses the boundary between wheelgun and self-loader. If a buyer wanted an autoloader s/he wouldn't be considering a wheelgun. Many shooters don't care for bottom feeders and are more comfortable with the double action revolver platform.

In additon, the .327 recoils less than the .357 Magnum while producing useful velocity and energy for self-defense. That's a good selling point for those who want a revolver without the kick and horrific muzzle blast of a snubby .357 Magnum.

Quote:
I don't understand this obsession with trying to get these odd, rare calibers that you cannot find ammo for or are difficult, if not impossible, to get!
You are not required to understand it, nor even care about it. You should, however respect that some of us do like those "odd ball" calibers for what they can provide. From my perspective, why would anyone really care what some MLB player's RBI average is or who is the only pitcher to hit better than .400 for two seasons. But if you care, have fun with it.

For what it's worth, .32 Long isn't too hard to find and the guns that shoot it are beautiful little jewels. Low recoiling, accurate as sin and moderately quiet. Perfect for potting small game for a camp or simply killing paper terrorists. Makers include Winchester, Fiocchi, Federal, Aguila and Remington. Fiocchi makes the best target ammo IMO.

S&W Model 31 revolvers, .32 S&W Long

My S&W 432PD has never gone wanting for ammo. If my local shop doesn't have it, I ask him to get me two or three boxes and it shows up in his next order. And while I think the .32 H&R Magnum isn't exactly a barn burner, I don't think many thugs will still want to play after a double tap from it.

Some of us find enjoyment in odd calibers too. Some of us even shoot them, despite the cost or difficulty in finding ammo for them.

S&W .32-20 Model of 1905

S&W Model 57 .41 Magnum and S&W Model 31 .32 S&W Long
Old June 22, 2011, 10:19 PM   #298
Glenn E. Meyer

Well said, I and my 32's thank you.
Old June 23, 2011, 09:18 AM   #299
secret_agent_man

Quote:
I think the .32 H&R Magnum isn't exactly a barn burner
Don't squeeze off one of those Buffalo Bore rounds near a bale of hay.
Old June 23, 2011, 10:40 AM   #300
gak

BillCA, well said as usual.
+1 Glenn.
Secret Agent Man - I think he was referring to typical off-the-shelf (Federal etc) fare The BB round does sound incredible, and while milder than the super hot BB, the Georgia Arms load is a great all 'rounder and warmer than "factory"--and cheaper than BB for "daily" shooting. They've just recently started re-carrying their great 100gr JHP after a 2-year hiatus due to the well chronicled ammo and component shortages.