The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2006, 11:03 PM   #1
leetrev1

Rattling bag during rut?

Are rattlings bags very effective when its full rut for white tail. I've read that they aren't but also that they are. In the latest edition of Outdoor Life their is a column saying that you should be more aggressive during full rut, and that includes using everything you got, such as calls and rattling bags. Which is true?
Old November 2, 2006, 12:11 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

Well, they are purported to work on all these hunting shows. They show a guy rattling, then a buck running in, and the guy says "here he comes to my rattle" or similar. Problem is, it's a cut from one scene to another, so no proof that it's not a BS edit. I wouldn't put anything past these jokers on the hunting vids. They're in bed with every hunting gizmo known to man, include rattle bag makers. They sure don't work for me, even though I keep trying. Good luck, and let us know if they work.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Rattling works on whitetail; I've always heard it doesn't work for mulies. Dunno.

Anyhow, rattling a pair of horns does work, but generally we had more success on very cold (for Texas) and still mornings. We'd imitate a fight by doing a bit of rattling, rake the ground, hit some brushy limbs, and rattle some more.

It's sort of spooky to see a big buck come in, with hair sticking out in all directions and he's looking for somebody fight with. We generally did it in teams, with one guy ready to shoot while the other guy did the rattling.

Art
Old November 2, 2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

I have rattled a buck up with the rattle bag, but I can get a lot older bucks to come in to a set of real horns. The sound that the bag makes is noticably different, than the real horns. I think thats why the older bucks come into the real horns better.

Art is right about working in a team, if you are rattling, and a buck decides to come in, he won't be shy about it. When he comes in, he is looking for a fight, and he will be standing there looking at you before you can put your bag or horns down.

It is important not to be sitting close to your partner rattling, because the buck will be looking right at him, when he comes in. You will want to set up at a 90 degree, from your partner, and he needs to be very well hidden from the bucks sight.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

I would think that if you're using real horns instead of a rattle bag on public lands, you'd be better off doing it from a tree stand you've hung, than on the ground in a bush, let's say, with your horns sticking up out of the bush.

WBB, these plastic horns they sell for rattling....do you know if they sound any more realistic than a rattle bag?
Old November 2, 2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Actually, FF, the rattler sits on the ground at the base of the stand's tree. The buck is focussed on what's at ground level; the guy in the tree can see the buck coming in. And Ol' Bucky might wonder when his buddy took to climbing trees.

Depends on where you are, of course. Sometimes there are no trees or stands available.

We always used real horns, and from a sizable set. The sound is better. It saves fingers if you cut the tips off the points and use a grinder to round off the stubs.

This is the first I've heard of a "rattle bag". Sounds like something to sell and make money...

Art
Old November 2, 2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

+1 for real horns over plastic or bag. Realize however that small bucks may stay clear of bigger horns rattling, since they have probably had their butt kicked already from bigger bucks. I agree with Art about sizeable horns, but not real big. Medium mass 8 point is what I use, and it seems to work well.

P.S. +1 on cutting off the points next to your fingers, it hurts when you bang them together.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:33 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

Well, I understand the buddy system. What I meant was, rattling from the ground may get you shot if hunting by yourself, and your body is well-hidden but the horns aren't, from some nincompoop who doesn't obey rule 4. If you're buddy-hunting, then the shooter can be a lookout for other hunters, allowing the rattler to have at it - it would behoove the hunters to hide the rattler well, so that he can kick at the brush & leaves while rattling to simulate the fight, without being immediately spotted if a buck comes in. You'd want the buck to see the horns, but not your body. Lol, Art's never heard of a rattle bag - yup, they're on sale everywhere - supposedly simulate a real fight. I've got one - maybe that's why it's never worked for me - not using real horns. (errrm, antlers aren't really 'horns', but everyone calls them that).

'Course, what I've read is best way is, rather than base-of-tree, in-the-tree setup, is, figure out likely approach route (if possible), then set the rattler 40 or 50 yards on past the shooter, because the buck will likely stop about that far off and look to see what's going on. But if the deer could come in from any direction, the base of tree thing would be the better idea.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...e_Bag_PR.shtml

Oh, and to the OP - they say that rattling works best both in the pre-rut, AND about one month after the height of the rut, in late season, but not during the peak of the rut or just after. Apparently they start fighting again at that time, I suppose for the second rut, for the does that didn't get preggers the first go-round.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:49 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've never hunted where the "nincompoop" was any sort of likely event. All the guys on our lease always knew where everybody else would be hunting. We had a topo map at camp, and flagged our hunt locations.

Out here in Terlingua, I always check to see whose hunt camp is where. If it were whitetail country, my rattling would be miles from anybody else.

Art
Old November 3, 2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Hunting Blitz

Rattle bags or not?

I am really glad to know there are other Hunters that question the effectiveness of all the products on the market that somehow make that Monster Buck appear! I was in my tree stand last weekend with my rattle bag on hand. I am from S.E. Oklahoma and things are starting to look like the Rut is getting close. I was still and quite just waiting for a good close look at a Buck. About 50 or so yards behind me, two fairly nice Bucks began to hook up antlers in what seemed to me, without much aggression. I realized right then that I could never produce the sound those boys were making! I bought my first rattle bag about four years ago, and I do believe that it has atleast gained the interest of a few Bucks. It has also cost me several times, by not knowing that certain deer was right there while I was trying to rattle up some action! My thinking these days.... a little goes a long way!! I'm new to this forum and I am going to really enjoy all of the advise and info.
Old November 4, 2006, 08:40 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hunting Blitz, in a country where folks will go ga-ga over Pet Rocks and Cabbage Patch Dolls, it's not all that difficult to find suckers for almost anything. After all, Ingrid Newkirk takes in millions of dollars a year from PETA people...

And so we have camo for deer hunters, rattle bags, plastic horns, de-scent-um for washing clothes or sprinkling around your blind. We got guys going out into the boonies with topo maps, GPS, cell phones, ropes and pulleys, "deer-barrows" to wheel out Bambi, 50mm scopes to shoot Bambi at high noon on a sunny day at 30 yards, .338 magnums to shoot a Bambi tha'll dress out at 68 pounds, and Lord knows what-all. Oh, water-bags, trail mix, digital camera, waffle-stomper boots to carry mud in the soles, and a hunting knife with a 14" blade. And a hatchet.

All that so he can watch some old guy in worn-out blue duckings and old tennis shoes haul out a 14-pointer that dressed about 200 pounds, shot with a 100-year-old Model 94 in .25-35.

, Art
Old November 4, 2006, 11:19 AM   #12
woodeckt

Art,

That is so true. I was at the doctor with my wife yesterday and got to talking to an old hunter in the waiting room. He snuck out to have a smoke and I saw his old winchester jacket. I went outside and lit a smoke and we got to talking and he has been hunting for over 30 years and does not even own any cammo and thought the scent stuff for clothes was a joke.

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Old November 4, 2006, 12:30 PM   #13
leetrev1

Very interesting stuff, and I can honestly say that on occassion I'm a sucker for hunting gear, especially when there are better things I could spend my money on, like fishing gear. Just joking
Old November 5, 2006, 03:53 AM   #14
Hunting Blitz

Not too bad of a day!

Hey Guys! How was the Hunt today? I was so excited to get to the woods this morning! I got to spend some time with a great friend and FISHING buddy from California! That was good enough for me! He kept me busy with questions about Whitetail Deer vs. those Big Mullies he is used to hunting in the Land of "air horn blowers" and "pot and pan bangers" opening day of Hunting Season! By the way.."thank you" Art, for the Ingrid Newkirk reference in your response! It made my day after strong whirling winds and "spooky" Deer seem much better. I am a former resident of California, and I have had those people in the woods making all the noise possible, to try and totally destroy a Hunt plus some hard earned Vacation time. Let me be VERY clear!...this is not a Jab at any Cal. resident at all! This is something that I have experienced when I lived and Hunted there at a time in my life!!! I don't want to offend anyone! Back to yesterdays posts... I have a picture of my Grandfather with a "BIG" strung up Deer he shot wearing worn out blues, a long sleeve plain shirt and holding a Win. lever action, octagon barrel 45-70! I was lucky enough to inherit the rifle. Thanks Pop! STEVE